PENFED Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 365 reviews

3.5
PENFED Credit Union CEO James Schenck
James Schenck
Pros
  • "I love that Penfed is always adding new technology(in 45 reviews)

• "Good benefits, sick time that is separate from vacation time(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "PenFed is a great place to work as long as you are a dedicated and hard worker(in 45 reviews)

• "Upper management impressed by buzz-words easily(in 17 reviews)

"Work hard and you don't have any issues"

Current Employee - Manager in Over, East of England, England

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, solid leadership, CEO who cares about the membership. COO pushes hard to ensure we are are striving to be the best. Do your job and you will be recognized. Afraid to work then this is not the right place for you.

Cons

Analyze holiday work schedule. Look for more ways for your employees to work in their communities. Allow them time to get involved

Advice to Management

Keep recognizing those who put in the effort. Promote within and invest in your stuff to move up within the organization

PENFED Credit Union2017-07-10
  2. "Supportive Employer"

Current Employee - Consumer Underwriting

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Growing company willing to invest in its employees. Stable, engaging work.

Cons

Some inter-department conflict, inconsistent training across the wider company.

PENFED Credit Union2019-09-14

"Disappointing"

Current Employee - Collections

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent benefits and great coworkers

Cons

Horrendous communication. A CEO who cares more about his image than what really counts which is supposed to be member experience and making PenFed a destination employer. Hundreds of seasoned employees laid off with a bogus reason. Member experience has deteriorated. Most of the things that made PenFed a great place to work have fallen by the wayside.

Advice to Management

What's the point? They don't listen anyway. They think they know better than the people in the trenches.

PENFED Credit Union2019-09-17
  4. "It’s a regular paycheck with benefits."

Current Employee - EFT Specialist II in Eugene, OR

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I enjoy my co workers and working in a back office position.

Cons

There is limited ability to promote within my department due it’s small size and it’s difficult for us to obtain additional personnel or resources in back office departments.

Advice to Management

My advice to upper management is to listen to the needs of middle management since they work closely with the front line employees.

5. "It's a Farce!"

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It is a job, and it pays the bills.

Cons

Presumed to be brand or motto is teamwork, career growth & work life balance, family like enviro.. not so..managers are bullies, bitter and vengeful, managers encourage staff to stab others in the back, & gossip about others, very toxic environment so dont believe the hype; the people who have been their for years and years, were under different management so they were once happy employees, but now they are... just doing their time or trying to so long as the new manipulation, I meant management dont push them out first.. so dont let the longevity of some of the good people their fool ya..

Advice to Management

Stop pretending to be what you're not, too many generals , not enough soldiers. dont put unreasonable demands on our staff just obtain enough staff to sustain the manifold mergers, then train, train and retrain inexperienced managers to innovate & sufficiently provide proper training to those they supervise. how can managers give staff proper direction if they dont know themselves, in return they lash out at... staff due to their inadequecies. encourage managers to do the right things with honesty, fairness and respect for all not just their favorites.

PENFED Credit Union2019-09-17
  6. "Position has great initiative to support their members."

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Papillion, NE

I worked at PENFED Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Again, this position is all about supporting the members with services PenFed can offer.

Cons

I did not fit into the mold that has been so successful for so many years.

Advice to Management

Let the MSR’s listen to the calls you reviewed for them.

PENFED Credit Union2019-09-12

"All the people I work with day to day are incredible people."

Current Employee - Member Service Representative II

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union part-time for more than a year

Pros

Managers and supervisors are mostly made up of folks that started as MSR's and as such they tend to be very kind and empathetic. The culture is sort of "being an MSR is incredibly difficult, so we find strength in each other".

Cons

Upper management seems really disconnected from the MSR employee pool, and often make decisions that impact MSR's in a negative way. While I was there, a relocation initiative was put in place that required folks from departments all across the country to relocate, in order to promote face-time. This occurred immediately after a "promotion drought", where there were almost no options for MSR's to promote out of... their entry-level position. Once the second quarter rolled around, many jobs were posted, but were only given to folks that were affected by the relocation. As a result, roughly 25% of MSR's quit from my team.

Advice to Management

Consider the morale of the MSR employee pool a little more often. Otherwise the quality of member service will continue to decline, and members will continue going to the competition.

PENFED Credit Union2019-09-05

September 10, 2019Military and College Recruiting Lead

Finding strength in one another is exceptionally important! Having a strong community at work has a very positive impact. Thank you for your thoughts and advice.

"Wouldn’t go back"

Former Employee - Operations Officer in Eugene, OR

I worked at PENFED Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people. Ok career advancement. Good benifits.

Cons

Poor management. Sales culture. CEO didn’t care about employees. Overworked and not paid enough.

PENFED Credit Union2019-08-29

September 3, 2019Military and College Recruiting Lead

Thank you for your feedback regarding your colleagues and career advancement. We work hard to ensure a positive workplace environment, and your comments make a difference.

"Awful"

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers, benefits, base salary, opportunity.

Cons

More than I could possibly ever describe. Laid off over 75% of their operations staff. Some who had been there over 20+ years. No plan for new system implementation. No help from management whatsoever and blaming back to the loan originators when everyone is working insane hours. Horrific work experience.

Advice to Management

Come up with a solid plan. Don’t keep all your employees in the dark. Fairly compensate for work during a difficult transition period.

PENFED Credit Union2019-09-05

September 10, 2019Military and College Recruiting Lead

We are available to support our colleagues during this transition, and recognize the difficult choices for those impacted by the change. We consider feedback such as yours to be valuable, and we thank you for your time.

"Job"

Current Employee - Mortgage Closer

I have been working at PENFED Credit Union full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Really enjoyed working here with great employees

Cons

Almost 10 years working here then all of a sudden my position gets moved to Texas

Advice to Management

Keep your current employees at their present location and hire new people for your new location

PENFED Credit Union2019-07-27

July 30, 2019Military and College Recruiting Lead

We recognize that those impacted are making difficult career choices, both for themselves and their families. We are here to support our employees throughout the company during this transition.

Found 365 reviews