Pearlfinders Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Pearlfinders Reviews

3.8
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Fun, rewarding and fulfilling"

I worked at Pearlfinders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Pearlfinders is very sociable as a company, after work drinks on a Friday is a long-standing tradition and is actively encouraged. Most, if not all, of the office went along, including the MD.
    - The office vibe is energetic, vibrant and again very sociable. There's a great atmosphere, particularly in the Sales departments - its competitive, but in a friendly way.
    - You're recognised and rewarded for hitting targets and other achievements - something that is sometimes overlooked at other companies
    - Fellow colleagues were a pleasure to work with, everyone generally got along. Ant (the MD) is a great character; he's always very positive and willing to help, he really cares about the company and his staff which certainly shows.
    - This was my first role out of university and I'd say it was a fantastic springboard in my career. I built solid skills in sales, telephone manner, pitching/presenting and a good knowledge of the marketing world, which has certainly helped me in other areas of my career.
    - The is plenty of room for progression, I was promoted to a management position within a year. If you work hard here you will be rewarded.

Cons

- Before I left training sessions had started to be introduced, but I did feel that extensive and regular sales training would have been beneficial. Particularly as this is often the first role out of uni for most

Advice to Management

- Sales training if it hasn't already been introduced (I did leave over 2 years ago)

"Decent"

Pros

Bright people
    Generally nice atmosphere
    Good office location and nice working space

Cons

Male-heavy leadership, no female directors
    HR department needs some work

Advice to Management

Give female employees more visibility, highlighting competence

"Great Social Environment and Good Place to learn"

I worked at Pearlfinders full-time

Pros

Very friendly, sociable environment. We always used to go to the pub on Friday after work - great fun.
    Colleagues were generally a pleasure to work with - Managing Director was very entertaining and personable character.
    Built solid skills in telephone interviewing and resilience in speaking to very senior people. This has been a useful springboard in my career.
    Opportunities for progression are definitely there - I saw people go from research execs to senior research execs to team leaders. If you're genuinely good, deliver and you push for it you'll get your just rewards.
    Great opportunity to learn about new subject matter like IT, finance and HR plus research/sales skills which will set you up for lots of opportunities in future

Cons

At times, it felt like a bit of graft in terms of the hours and sometimes a bit tedious when you were having if you weren't having any success with interviews.

Advice to Management

Think about how to give some flexibility in terms of working hours and consider how to introduce more variety into the job itself, in addition to the great social culture. Overall a great place to work and would recommend it, especially for those at entry level.

"Researcher"

Pros

lots of responsibility and motivate staff regularly with pay reviews

Cons

lots of work long hours

"A rewarding place to work!"

I have been working at Pearlfinders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined Pearlfinders as a Research Executive two and a half years ago, eventually moving over to the marketing team and have recently been promoted to management.

- In a nutshell, life at Pearlfinders can be hard work – but it’s also incredibly rewarding for those who get stuck in and are passionate about what they do. In my time here I’ve seen how much individuals who put in the time and effort are both valued and rewarded – whether that be through incentives, promotions or in their salary (which is reviewed on a regular basis).

- There are always opportunities to learn new skills and develop in the areas that you’re most interested in. Since joining, I’ve expanded my knowledge of Design, use of Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator, as well as data analysis, copywriting, automation and code.

- It’s a brilliant stepping stone for a number of great careers. We’ve seen staff go on to work for big agencies, fast-growing tech start-ups, brands and various major publications. Not everyone stays forever, but I can safely say that most leave Pearlfinders equipped with a vast knowledge of the world of marketing – in addition to enhanced written and verbal skills and overall business acumen.

- The people are great and the office environment is incredibly sociable. Fridays consist of beers in the office and every few months there will be a work event. This year’s Christmas Party took place on a rooftop bar in Shoreditch with a hog-roast, fire breathers, stilt-walkers and a large supply of alcohol…

- Great staff benefits – we have subsidised top tier gym membership with Fitness First (working out at around £40 less a month) and Perkbox benefits (including cheap cinema tickets, free phone insurance and coffee). For the sports-enthusiasts (and there are many in this office!) we also have company sports teams across Football, Netball and Softball.

- Being a smaller business, it’s relatively easy to arrange fun events on a regular basis – from our own table at the World Darts Championship to free tickets to the British Summertime Festival and ATP World Tour Finals.

Cons

- If you’re looking for a more corporate, structured working environment, Pearlfinders might not be for you. Being a smaller but growing business, there isn’t yet a protocol for absolutely everything and that’ll sometimes require some patience. This does have its benefits though (you don’t need to pre-book your days holiday three months in advance, for example!).

- There isn’t really room for being idle. Regardless of your role, you’ll often be expected to go above and beyond the call of duty, occasionally working over your contracted hours and pitching in with jobs that might not classically fall under your remit.

- Productivity is monitored closely. Weekly, monthly and quarterly targets are in place across all areas of the business – from account management and research to sales and marketing - which you will be expected to hit.

Advice to Management

- Align all areas of the business more closely. More frequent meetings between the account management and research teams for example.

- Offer employees greater opportunity to voice their opinion on how they feel their own personal development could be improved.

- Free fruit for staff!

"Very rewarding for someone who is willing to work hard!"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England

I worked at Pearlfinders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Get to work with some amazing global clients
    - Businesses you are selling to know Pearlfinders and it is widely admired in the industry
    - Great company culture and atmosphere
    - Biz Dev team have to opportunity to make a significant amount of commission
    - Benefits are excellent - gym, discounts etc
    - Perfect stepping stone role

Cons

- You can't take your foot off the gas with the commission structure
    - Career advancements are limited

Advice to Management

Organise a really rewarding benefits package for the researchers, if it wasn't for them there would be no Pearlfinders.

"Great place to work and stepping stone to get to next level"

Former Employee - Business Development in London, England
    Former Employee - Business Development in London, England

I worked at Pearlfinders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to bring in a lot of commission
    Big rewards if you do well
    Great working environment, genuinely enjoyed coming into work most days
    Social fun atmosphere- lot's going on out of office hours- Softball, Football, Gym, beers, etc.

Cons

Need to stick to targets, in order to keep staff motivated
    Need to reward Researchers more as they are the backbone of the company
    Less free booze at Xmas parties
    Shouldn't let staff go to the gym at lunch, it could be dangerous

Advice to Management

Reward the hard workers and Put the time in to train new starters

"Excellent opportunities and Working environment"

I worked at Pearlfinders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and fun atmosphere

Cons

Could have more of a structured training programme

Advice to Management

n/a

"Job to get into London market - nothing more"

Former Employee - Research Executive in Clerkenwell, England
    Former Employee - Research Executive in Clerkenwell, England

I worked at Pearlfinders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Friendly junior staff - build friendships through common enemy
    - After work activities; softball, drinks and socials
    - Christmas parties

Cons

- As a researcher this is a cold calling job - there is no avoiding that
    - Interviews did not make this clear, where it is made to seem like a market research job
    - HIGHLY targeted work - with your time throughout the day highly micromanaged
    - Very little variety of work - after a month or two you will have no new experiences and don't expect this to change
    - Promotions sometimes not made on merit - with staff members progressed as senior staff realise they can rely on those that hitting their targets
    - Staff members were very unhappy and were consistently looking for new jobs elsewhere
    - You were expected to stay until you had hit your target - this meant often needing to arrive at work early, even though you working day still started at 8am and work late

Advice to Management

Make job roles more clear, hire more staff so that staff are not over stretched on targets and able to provide higher quality work

"Great place to get the skills you need for your career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Pearlfinders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- great team of people
    - lots of social activities
    - my personal manager was great and very supportive
    - flexible and willing to find ways to help you if you need anything

Cons

- slightly unrealistic targets which seemed to fluctuate a lot.
    - getting an issue or query to senior level took a long time which did mean sometimes left unsure of a situation

Advice to Management

Have more regular meetings to discuss progression and achieving targets.
    Discuss target setting with the team as well.