SSD Concerts Reviews

Updated 5 Apr 2021

1.6

"Great company and culture"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, England

I have been working at SSD Concerts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Culture, Office Space, Staff, Exciting Future

Cons

Nothing would be a con working here

"Good team and bar management 2018-2021"

4.0

I worked at SSD Concerts part-time for more than a year

Pros

Team all support each other and supervisor bar manager all worked well and support each other. I worked here from sept 2018-jan 21 and never saw any of the things that have been said in previous reviews and the timelines and comments about management don’t add up, and sound like they’re talking about something else or perhaps reviews from years ago but the culture and atmosphere was definitely a positive one in the time I worked here, some reviews talk about them working there for over a year and I know In recent times it was just me and one other staff who had been there that long. and I’m sure everyone would say the same and support the current manager and have never seen the abuse/drugs use/ inappropriate behaviour here in all the time worked here, it was always seen as safe space

Cons

The pay system isn’t great, but this isn’t the case of direct bar management it is fault of office staff. Wasn’t paid holiday pay - fault of high management and accounting staff(thinking they know best and that I don’t know what I’m talking about despite me being an accountant)

"Really psychologically damaging place to work."

Former Employee - Full Time Employee

I worked at SSD Concerts full-time for more than a year

Pros

The amount of time you spend at work in a stressful environment means you make close bonds with other non-management staff Very occasionally, you get to go work at enjoyable live events

Cons

I had to undergo therapy to work through the experiences I had while working for SSD Concerts. Management condones, encourages and personally takes the lead on a discriminatory work environment. Most days in work you will be subject to hearing vile, sexual comments from the owner, either about yourself, colleagues or the artists the company works with. Never received a contract, rarely received a payslip and often paid either late or underpaid. Overtime work was expected but you were rarely paid for it, the 'reward' often came in the form of food or alcohol. Complete lack of clarity in the company structure, staff responsibilities and hierarchy. No opportunity to progress at this company, regardless of how hard you work or for how long. No matter how exciting the concept of working here might be from the outside, or how the opportunity to work in live events in the northeast seems 'too good to be true', it is not worth the sacrifice to your mental health. I wouldn't advise anyone to work here, particularly if you are a womxn.

"Joke Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, England

I worked at SSD Concerts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone was in the same boat so peers bonded with each other

Cons

This is the least professional company I've every worked for. Never paid on time (maybe once or twice) , never paid the correct amount. Even when I was showing the director my bank account he was still saying he'd paid me. The communication was terrible, the director brought in another upper management person who had even worse communication, and just left everyone out to dry most of the time. So lower level staff had to deal with all their issues. The lower level staff constantly had to team together and use their own resources to save this company on numerous occasions, including working 100 hour weeks while the company constantly felt like it was going to go under. The company had to be bailed out by Tokyo on several occasions in the space of a year, zero health and safety, promised bonuses went UNPAID. Do not work for this morally bankrupt company.

"Don’t work here"

I worked at SSD Concerts part-time for more than a year

Pros

Made some lifelong friends Opportunities to see new and upcoming musicians

Cons

I was sexually harassed by my manager repeatedly and nothing got done about it Only 2 men worked behind the bar the rest of the staff were young impressionable women Never paid on time in the total 18 months I was there Always paid incorrectly and had to literally chase managers down to sort it out Next to no training No contract No regular hours Guilt tripped into working 12+ hour shifts and to work last minute on days off Rate of pay was constantly changing No staff loo or disabled loo Treated extremely poorly by management Very ‘cliquey’ vibe Encouraged to do drugs during shifts - proper peer pressure stuff but by 40 year olds

Continue reading

"Can't believe the owner left a fake positive review..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, England

I have been working at SSD Concerts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Rare opportunity to work in music within the north-east

Cons

The owner has no problem throwing around racist & misogynistic slurs. Often asks female staff to come out for drinks with him, or sometimes to come out for a meal because they need to 'catch up'. Ironically, he refused to attend 'Shout Up' training... Contracts always promised but never arrived. Rarely paid on time, often pay would be missing when arrived, pay rises promised that never came along or disappearing after a month, tax deducted from my wage yet never registered with HMRC. Don't ever offer to do extra work because he'll never pay you for it either. This same warning goes for freelancers too, you have been warned. Colleagues often let go and slandered like an ex that cheated, with no explanation given for their departure. Also sacked former colleagues for refusing to work during furlough. There's absolutely no progression in this company, there is an irremovable glass ceiling.

Continue reading

"Not a great experience."

2.0
    Former Employee - Bar Staff in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, England

I worked at SSD Concerts part-time for less than a year

Pros

- I made good friends - Good atmosphere at gigs and shows

Cons

- Underpaid / Did not get paid on time which caused financial difficulty - Poor communication with higher member of staff, not very understanding. Treated as just a worker and not a person which sometimes led to feeling uncomfortable at work or when bringing something up.

8. "Fair"

Former Employee - Events Management

I worked at SSD Concerts full-time

Pros

Saw a lot of gigs

Cons

No formal pay system and terrible safety measures

"Awful company to work for"

Former Employee - Bartender in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, England

I worked at SSD Concerts part-time

Pros

Made close friends with other bar staff & also got to work some good live music events.

Cons

Never signed a contract, never received a pay check, often underpaid, paid late on multiple occasions. Experienced sexual harassment almost every shift and was sexually assaulted by a manager but had it brushed off because that was the “norm”. Worked long shifts with no break (only smokers got breaks), didn’t always get paid for overtime. Overall it was a very hostile work environment and I am now diagnosed with PTSD as a result of working for this company.

"Don't work here if you want to keep your sanity"

I worked at SSD Concerts full-time

Pros

Met some amazing, likeminded, music-loving humans and made lasting friendships. A stepping stone in the music industry.

Cons

No system or hierarchy in place. Lack of communication and no proper training or direction from management, staff left to fend for themselves and rely on each other. Extremely high turnover of staff, often hired based on appearance. The young workforce is exploited by either unpaid internships or wage based on their age (not skills). Many of my co-workers were underpaid or not paid on time on a regular basis. Promised a contract which never appeared, never received a legitimate payslip - as there was no payroll system - and consistently worked overtime with little or no financial reward. The company took on far too many venues/events, without any concern for a struggling workforce already at capacity. The owner made racist and misogynistic comments on a daily basis. I was personally objectified and witness to all manner of offensive and inappropriate language. He would undermine staff behind their backs and create drama within the office. Upper management would immediately dismiss any claims of harassment or unfair treatment without investigation. Staff were regularly fired without any notice, usually by email, which created a sense of paranoia. Felt on edge and could never fully relax. My mental health seriously suffered when I was overwhelmed with stress and started experiencing panic attacks. The owner compulsively lies and actively deceives bands, agents, customers, not to mention everyone who works there. Staff were under pressure to be complicit. The company (quite rightly) has an extremely poor reputation within the local music scene and is a laughing stock within the industry. They have a monopoly over venues in the north-east, which ultimately means local bands/artists suffer. It's a toxic workplace which is not worth the psychological trauma. Stay away.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 18 Reviews