Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Samsung Austin Semiconductor President Chan Hoon Park
Chan Hoon Park

Pros
  • The pay is good, the benefits are great, and they lead in the change in the industry (in 28 reviews)

• Samsung is a great company with good pay and benefits (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Workload can be intense, which means work/life balance isn't always the best (in 57 reviews)

• I don't mind the long hours or lack of work life balance (in 27 reviews)

"Over 35 Years of Semiconductor Experience Speaking"

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked as an engineer, supervisor and manager for 2 American based, 1 European based and 1 Korean based semiconductor manufacturing companies over a 35+ year career. Samsung Austin Semiconductor (SAS) is, by far, the best company in almost every comparable category. The long-term vision for growth at the Austin site makes me wish I were closer to the beginning of my career. Culturally speaking, SAS has the most diversified staff of people at every level and position with which I have ever worked. The opportunities to move up and around are very available. Salaries are very competitive. SAS, more than any company with which I have yet worked, strives to create the best work/life balance. Continuing educational opportunities are provided. The benefits package is very good and well-priced. SAS, more than any other company I have experienced gives back to the community in hundreds of ways and with thousands of dollars. I have worked at SAS for 7 years. I have filled several very enjoyable roles and worked on many very interesting and challenging projects with some of the best people from all over the planet. I came to the Austin area 20 years ago. My wife and I raised 7 children, putting them through the school system here. The culture, diversity and the values in this area make it one of the best places in the world to raise a family.

Cons

Seriously, I have sat staring at this box for 10 minutes racking my brain for anything that I would consider a real "Con" to working at SAS, but I have failed. Does that fact that the batteries in the auto paper towel dispensers drain to quickly count? I don't drink coffee so I can't give you a rating there, other than its free, along with tea and hot cocoa....

Advice to Management

You level of support combined with the level of allowed autonomy is very well balanced. Thank you.

2. "Penny For my Thoughts"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefit package, very challenging work environment

Cons

Several people were placed in management positions that were not management material. I think that this often kept qualified people from reaching potential

Advice to Management

A great engineer does not always make a great manager

3. "Challenging work environment"

Current Employee - Senior Technician in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Technician in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits
    Cutting edge work

Cons

Local leaders are controlled by Korea
    No clear direction from management
    Goals are competing

"Pay is excellent hours are not"

Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX (US)

Pros

Pay is hard to beat especially with bonuses

Cons

The hours are long at 50+ at a minimum for engineering.

Advice to Management

Work towards getting 1st shift people at 40 hours a week

6. "Integration Engineering"

Former Employee - PIE Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - PIE Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good money, so-so on work hours - was tending to become overbearing.

Cons

Training plan / training expectations was non-existent. No core basic management skills were visibly apparent.

Advice to Management

SAS is growing very fast - without a solid plan in place for new hires and current management, all I can foresee is constant fire fighting / finger pointing.

7. "Not a bad place to work"

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Typical semiconductor fab/culture. Not a ban place to work if you end up with a good group.

Cons

Nights, can be quite demanding given the current status of the site

8. "Hard Work, Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Engineer III in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer III in Austin, TX (US)

Pros

Benefits are great. Health Insurance, Salary, and Bonuses/Gifts are all a plus

Cons

Very poor work-life balance. Extremely fast-paced. Poor systems. Culture prohibits many things from happening unlike U.S based companies.

9. "Equipment Engineer 1 (CORP)"

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good entry level job
    Great benefits
    Competitive pay
    Good people

Cons

Being the little sister to Korea makes any real engineering solution a challenge
    Chance of shift work
    Raises and promotions done mostly on time basis not performance
    Not many transferable skills were learned since Samsung uses systems created "in house"

"Mixed Review of the company. They pay well, however their engineering practices are not as scientific."

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

They make money, and pay well. However, their culture can be pretty negative in some groups. If you find yourself struggling to keep a positive outlook in your group, there is an internal system for changing departments.

Cons

Some aspects of the company need to change. Such as the culture, which can be pretty negative.

"Times they are a changing"

Pros

Great benefits, compensation, on site amenities, in ramp mode to increase production, hiring more people.

Cons

Running out of space quickly for new employees so having to share cubical or bullpen even high level people. New building is coming in august but all the new hires will be in by june. Managers need to respond to employee concerns and talk to them. Build trust.

Advice to Management

Managers learn to listen and work with employees. Stop the elitist attitudes of managers and principal or staff engineers.