Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Samsung Austin Semiconductor President Chan Hoon Park
Chan Hoon Park

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance, size, red tape (in 60 reviews)

• night shift causes health issues, long hours, some politics (in 29 reviews)

1. "High stress sometimes and challenging"

Current Employee - Engineer III in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer III in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The high stress part is somewhat annoying sometimes, but it can be exciting also. Overall company isn't that bad. PTO starts at 4 weeks and goes up to 6 weeks with years of service. Pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Sometimes the tasks are mundane and boring. High pressure environment.

Advice to Management

Focus more on people. Feels like people's happiness is often overlooked for the sake of production.

"It's a paycheck"

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I wanted to wait a few months after I left before writing the review so that I could see which impressions stuck with me and which went away, here is what stuck with me.

* Pay is good and bonuses are consistent
    * Health care plans are well above average
    * Employment is stable
    * Had a stint of mandatory over-time, but ended it as soon as they could and didn't go back. OT is typically voluntary.
    * There are some managers and supervisors who are trying to improve the environment and do the right thing, unfortunately, they're handicapped by policy and higher level management.

Cons

* Rivalries and infighting everywhere. Management actively encourages rivalries between groups (engineers vs. techs, shift vs shift, and employee vs employee). Prepare to spend a lot of time fending off the knives coming at your back.
    * Unsafe, chemical exposures happen here and there. Company will typically blame the effects, such as itching and burning skin due to contact with byproducts on your laundry detergent. In the event of a gas leak, your nose and burning eyes are the only warning your going to get, this has happened a few times
    * Not willing to promote, hires almost exclusively from the outside. Make sure you're going to be happy with your position and pay as there's only enough room for half a dozen promotions in a department with a couple of hundred employees
    * Title and position are everything, it is not uncommon for engineers and managers to attempt to pressure subordinates into doing things against the rules in order to avoid responsibility. A few techs have even been fired for it.
    * If you are a contractor or a lower-level tech, your a disposable commodity, this is worst for the contractors.
    * Will only follow their own policy when convenient and will readily ignore it when it isn't.
    * Organization is exceptionally wasteful and inefficient, systems that don't work and support organizations that require more support that what they provide.

Advice to Management

Not going to waste my time, they clearly don't care.

3. "SAS"

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

Pros

Excellent compensation and benefits. Top notch equipment.

Cons

Very fast paced work environment. Constant change. Every year is a make or break year. Depending on your position you might work a ton of hours.

5. "associate"

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

good working condition, good benefit, good food!!!

Cons

long hour work, I love SAS

6. "Engineer II"

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

I just started a month ago. The Benicia are great and the work is fun! I've read a lot of other negative reviews before starting. But seeing it first hand I think some people don't like to work hard.

Cons

My commute is a bit long.

7. "My two cents"

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Great benefits and well paid. Overtime available and there are a few really great people to work for and with.

Cons

Job satisfaction is lacking. Too many constraints from across the pond.

"Old company culture with good compensation"

Current Employee - Senior Performance Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Performance Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Good work/life balance
    * Nice salary
    * Nice benefits

Cons

* Old company culture, where information on projects is highly controlled, even within sub-teams. This prevents employees from contributing creatively.
    * Slow and highly controlled career path

9. "Etch Equipment Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer III
    Current Employee - Engineer III

Pros

Great health and PTO benefits. Work is fast paced and never get bored at work. Disc golf, soccer field, and gym on campus.

Cons

Terrible management, poor work life balance, and over tasking competent employees. Dual management systems Korean and American that have poor communication.

Advice to Management

Actually manage instead of just reporting to superiors. Fire employees that are underperforming. Permote high performing employees quicker.

10. "Culture"

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great. 401k matches upto 4% is ok, Bonus is good at times. But weighted to performance.

Cons

Management likes to pit manufacturing and engineering against each other. If you can endure the Korean culture then you will be ok. Working conditions are environmentally controlled for all which is good. Fab ops so you will need to wear a smock in the Fab.

Advice to Management

Manufacturing needs to not be so anal at the meetings. Its dog eat dog and the worst part about the job for all.

11. "Supervisor"

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Only positive is the compensation. They pay above market rates to get you in the door, but don't expect much for raises unless you are in the top 10% performance rating.

Cons

Management sets unrealistic performance expectations and has ZERO tolerance for failing to achieve business goals regardless of the cost. "everyone must do more with less" is often quoted by management. Be prepared to be "on call" 24/7 to support the wafer fab as excursions are routine.