Sharp Communications Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.4
Jim Brodsky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Honest review"

Current Employee - Public Relations in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Public Relations in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Sharp Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First, I'll say this is not a plug - this is my honest experience and fair review. I've worked at a few different agencies and while some of the recent reviews on Glassdoor make comments about the lack of positive culture at Sharp, my experience is that the people at every level are genuine, supportive, and collaborative - and that's the core of a corporate culture, the general reciprocity of respect. In the last year in particular, there has been some turnover (totally normal in the agency world, but seems more pronounced at a small to mid-size agency), and the culture committee has put more effort in responding to the staff's requests -- introducing a new work-from-home policy, a "winter term" that lets you work in the Palm Beach office for a week (paid-for housing, flights), reiterating that we can leave at 5:30pm if work is done (work/life balance), and more frequent meals together whether breakfasts, lunches, etc. The point is that leadership cares about producing the best work, and to achieve that, you need the best talent...and culture is key to keeping talent. There's always room for improvement, but the overall experience is positive, and focused on individual and collective growth.

Cons

Like I said above, there's always room for improvement, no matter the person or company. There have been growing pains associated with taking on new clients and big projects without adding staff. There have been times when it feels like everyone is under water. What I have learned, though, that the way through that is not by complaining or venting through anonymous Glassdoor reviews, but by being a professional - and coming to your manager, or their manager (it's a pretty democratic structure - the EVP is accessible to everyone), to voice whatever the challenge is, and work together to find a solution. Everyone is empowered, and the goal is that everyone succeeds, so the general recommendation is to be proactive about what you need (from your team, from your manager, from whoever) and move forward. Agency life is tough, often times you're spread really thin, but being solution-oriented and growing through challenges is part of what makes everyone better.

Advice to Management

There's opportunity to listen more to ways the Agency can enhance and evolve - I like the idea of regular surveys for agency-wide feedback. There are some incredibly bright minds and great ideas (usually coming from good intentions) that can keep Sharp at its best.

"Great people, great clients, great environment"

I have been working at Sharp Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A collaborative and creative environment filled whip-smart, hardworking professionals. Sharp has an impressive roster of industry-leading clients across varied industries. It's been said that its the people at Sharp that makes the company so unique and the culture so rich, and I'd have to agree. I've learned so much here, both personally and professionally.

Cons

As in most agencies, the work ebbs and flows based on client demands. Days can be busy but it's not a constant and the team structure helps support this (e.g. everyone is in it together).

Advice to Management

Nothing at present. keep up the good work.

3. "Hire and fire when needed, not when desperate"

I have been working at Sharp Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is willing to contribute, and senior level people (VPs, ADs, AS ) are very hands on despite senior titles/role and workload. They have to be because everyone is super busy, especially junior team members who work way above their levels (which means growth can happen quickly but being overworked is constant).

Now that negative, toxic people have been fired like the AS's on Social Team or those who didn't carry their weight on PR have left, the office culture is tight knit and supportive.

Cons

Legacy people who clung on despite being lazy, rude, and unprofessional and who should have been fired ages ago were protected for too long. Make faster decisions when those types of people are poisoning the rest of the agency.

Hire good people when it's needed rather than waiting and getting desperate. Everyone is overextended. Layoffs that happened at end of year only made people more overwhelmed.

President and CEO won't budge on hiring needs despite the desperation from junior to senior levels. Everyone is close and friendly but that's not enough to keep people around anymore. The company isn't what it used to be. Clients are random and not as top tier as previously were.

Advice to Management

ust because someone has been around for years, doesn't mean the rules shouldn't apply. Hire and fire when needed, not when desperate. Add more senior support at AS and SAE level, so junior team members don't have to stretch in their roles and have real mentors and so VPs/ADs can focus on management.

Listen to your employees, their requests aren't ridiculous. Stop forcing people to take on unrealistic workloads. Make the investments that are needed to build good teams.

"Terrible time to be a “Sharpie”"

I have been working at Sharp Communications full-time

Pros

Talented, hard working junior team members keep the agency afloat.

Cons

Agency is hemorrhaging clients and talent due in large part to extreme mismanagement. VPs are lazy and clueless as to how to manage a team, President is detached and impersonal, and the CEO is downright predatory. Things are going downhill faster than anyone could have ever imagined.

Advice to Management

Evaluate your senior leadership when considering why things going so poorly.

"Assistant Account Executive"

I worked at Sharp Communications full-time

Pros

A number of great, talented people at this company.

Cons

Communication within the office and management are not the best.

Advice to Management

It is important to recognize and value all employees, their time, and their strengths

"Not the best you can do"

Former Employee - Public Relations in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Public Relations in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Sharp Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience in a fast-paced agency environment

Cons

Low salary, competitive environment, unmanageable work load, toxic work environment, random terminations

Advice to Management

Cookies and donuts do not make up for the lack of empathy and mentorship at Sharp Communications. Make an attempt to foster a supportive work environment.

7. "Great People"

Pros

The employees are friendly and collaborative. Great place to work.

Cons

The clients are a bit boring and they company itself is a little bit old school.

Advice to Management

Take employees feedback seriously.

8. "Amazing work enviroment"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Sharp Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is hard-working and determined. Everyone is a team player, always lending a helping hand

Cons

Early starts and late nights.

9. "Perfect environment to learn and grow"

I have been working at Sharp Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management: the partner/VP level management at Sharp is excellent. The most involved with employees at all levels I have ever experienced (even among other smaller agencies)

Learning environment: across the board Sharp employees are great at sharing information and industry learnings/trends. Since I started at Sharp I've seen my career grow by leaps and bounds, primarily because of the opportunities I've had to learn new skills and tackle new challenges, always knowing my teams were there to back me up with any bumps in the road.

Culture: people at Sharp are really friends. Not every single person, but overall there's a culture of positivity and wanting to have fun together, even when there's a lot going on.

Benefits/salary: Sharp offers competitive pay and great benefits that are well explained by the HR department. Asking for info about how to get the most out of your benefits is encouraged.

Cons

Hiring for an opening can go slowly, which makes sense when you're looking for a great culture fit, but can put stress on staff to bridge client gaps in the meantime.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Many people love Sharp dearly, and value our careers here.

Keep making sure employees have opportunities to expand their roles to new areas of PR/Social. That's something that genuinely sets Sharp apart from other agencies and should be maintained.

10. "Award Winning Work, Positive Culture"

I have been working at Sharp Communications full-time

Pros

Agency environment is very supportive, collaborative.
    There is no shortage of talented, creative minds to inspire and motivate you.
    Access to Agency leadership.

Cons

As with any agency job, the hours can be long.