Springer Nature Reviews

Updated 12 May 2021

3.5
Springer Nature CEO Frank Vrancken Peeters (no image)
Frank Vrancken Peeters
Pros
  • "There is Good work life balance(in 60 reviews)

• "It's a good working environment with a pleasant culture(in 22 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Relatively low pay and not much progression(in 15 reviews)

• "Extremely low morale in many business areas(in 10 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company

1 Mar 2021 - Operations
      Business Outlook

Pros

Collaborative, supportive culture, good work/life balance

Cons

Obsession with quantification, numerical measurement as the main means of gauging success

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Generally a great place to work

15 Jan 2021 - Assistant Production Editor in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The team was supportive, friendly and well structured; there was clear guidance and support when needed, workloads were always manageable and help was available if it wasn’t. Lovely campus and location, and on-site facilities are really good. Interaction between teams was encouraged (in my experience, at least) and the company ensured they provided fun benefits for employees - e.g. workplace massages, mental health support, seminars etc. Flexible working, pre-COVID the company offered WFH days and employees were able to WFH if needed for any appointments etc. Appraisals and feedback was always good and the process was structured well, and managers were always available for discussion about any issues. Very caring, lovely teams.

Cons

The progression within the company can be difficult to see at lower levels, salary was somewhat low compared to other comparable positions, the route to promotion wasn’t clear; the role seemed quite rigid, as in there was little to no opportunity to be part of special or one-off projects and quite little variety in the day-to-day.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee

Supportive managers, but executive team need to listen to employees more.

12 Apr 2021 - Journal Development Editor in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

supportive managers collaborative culture trusted to structure my own time and complete projects on time

Cons

pay is relatively low the executive team don't listen to concerns raised by employees

4. 4.0

Good balance

16 Apr 2021 - Software Developer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

you are allowed to fail fast, succeed and influence the trajectory of a project/product/technology/WoW

Cons

some people might not find it challenging enough

5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Could be great but instead it's just 'fine'

3 Apr 2021 - Senior Editorial Assistant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are among the most fantastic I have worked with. Everyone is passionate and interesting and I have made quite a few real friends here. The office environment is very laid back and quite dress down. My immediate supervisors and managers are approachable and friendly, and will always do whatever they reasonably can for you. As an editorial assistant it's also fairly easy to get time off. The work benefits are fine and pretty standard. I made use of the season ticket loan scheme, and when the office is open there's free coffee (if the machine isn't out of order...). The location of the London office is a stone's throw from Regent's Canal and Coal Drops Yard, which is lovely in the summer. The company handled the pandemic pretty well. I really felt that the safety and wellbeing of staff in London was prioritised, and I was very grateful for this.

Cons

Almost everyone on every level of seniority seems to be overworked and/or underpaid. The systems we use to handle manuscript submissions are absolutely, embarrassingly ancient considering the prestige and financial resources of the company. They are overflowing with errors and bugs which plague the lives of authors and journal staff alike, and are really unacceptable in this day and age, in my opinion. A truly vast amount of time is wasted on menial things like uploading dozens of files one by one, and it can sometimes feel like an exasperating daily grind. My team is full of young bright minds and their intellects are largely wasted. Author service is suffering considerably because the editors and assistants frequently lack the time and morale to do their jobs to the best of their ability. Despite large profits for the publishing group as a whole, I have seen various redundancies happen and expect more to take place as costs are cut, offices are downsized and more jobs are outsourced, which is very depressing for the people who were already underpaid and ran themselves into the ground trying to stay on top of everything. The organisation is massive, and I feel valued within my team, but beyond that I’m just a number and I very much expect my role to become expendable or outsourced at some point. Options for progression are quite limited at assistant level. You can become a senior assistant, and perhaps a supervisor or manager but that's pretty much it, unless you look to move to an altogether different team internally. Many people on my team have bailed out in favour of finding a more engaging position at an entirely different company because they simply can’t bear the menial aspects any more. Despite all this, the editorial assistant role is actually somewhat decent at entry level or for a fresh start, but staff retention is mediocre. It realistically takes a few months to be trained and to feel confident, yet there is a cycle of spending ages training people knowing that they will probably just leave in 12-24 months because the pay is rubbish, they can't progress, they have little to no intellectual stimulation, and they were only staying for their lovely teammates who are all looking to leave. My own work life balance is neither horrendous nor excellent. In contrast, I work with many editors and I sometimes receive emails from them at 7am or 10pm and I feel bad for them, because it just seems like they are all completely buried 24/7, although perhaps other journals have more evenly distributed workloads. Overall it’s ‘fine’ but I can’t imagine anyone staying here forever, and I am very keen to move on. The Nature brand is not what it used to be. It feels like the company wants to project a façade of being progressive and modern, but behind the scenes we are tired, running on outdated buggy systems, and there is a strong sentiment that it’s all about targets and the bottom line.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

13 Apr 2021 - Account Development Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good culture, advancing OA publishing

Cons

Career progression is not great

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great collaboration but restructures a lot

10 Mar 2021 - Senior Product Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great chance to try new things Pushing for collaboration New initiatives to get the tech debt better In some parts of company easy to move divisions to learn new platforms

Cons

Tech debt, particularly from previous acquisitions or mergers Instant revenue focussed ahead of rumoured sales Seems to restructure every 3months, I've witnessed 3 restructures in 2 years in my division

8. 3.0

Great colleagues but underpaid

28 Apr 2021 - Managing Editor in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great colleagues, nice offices, cool projects

Cons

Underpaid, under resourced, upper management with little clue about operational processes

9. 4.0
      Former Employee

Implementation of cutting edge publishing solutions

11 Feb 2021 - Journal Production Editor in Burnley, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

A good company to work for if you want exposure to cutting edge publishing solutions. Central London location and a pleasing office environment. Excellent IT support and infrastructure that meant a seamless transition to remote working during the Corona virus pandemic.

Cons

It is not unknown for a team to be disbanded once difficult waters are navigated and a product becomes stable. Further cost savings will be sought. This contradicts the mindfulness and mental health messages expounded on the company intranet.

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good benefits, no progression or autonomy

22 Feb 2021 - Journals Operations Coordinator in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work/life balance, good benefits and annual leave policy, nice colleagues, nice office, great if you want to start at 9am and leave at 5pm.

Cons

No opportunity for career progression particularly for junior staff members, no social element, pigeonholed job responsibility/ lack of variety in work, lack of company direction from management board, lack of individual development plans from middle management, no staff training opportunities.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 400 Reviews