Team17 Digital Reviews

Updated Oct 4, 2021

Found 48 of over 59 reviews

2.6
Team17 Digital Managing Director Debbie Bestwick (no image)
Debbie Bestwick
  1. 5.0

Some good things happening

Oct 4, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- good variety of projects - lots of quality people who have worked here for a while that are fantastic to work with - also seems to be some great people joining us, it's nice to see some new colleagues in the studio make a positive impact! - seem to be looking at the benefits package at the moment to make it better

Cons

- pretty much no original development or our own titles - there are a lot of good people leaving (and others joining, but it's still a shame)

3 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Positive change is starting to happen :)

Sep 21, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome people who genuinely care about each other and make it fun to be a part of the team. The variety of games keeps the work interesting, and you can get involved in projects at a level that wouldn't be possible in a bigger studio, which is great for personal development and experience.

Cons

Everyone works super hard because they care about the games we make and also our indie dev partners - but it can feel like we are overstretched for resource a lot of the time. I know this is something that's being looked at, and it does need to be addressed if we want to maintain the quality of the games we develop. I'm happy with my pay and also love the fact the bonus has paid out every year, but I know some people feel they aren't paid enough. It sounds like there's an appetite from senior management to address this...will be interesting to see if they do.

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

So much potential and it feels like things are starting to get better

Sep 7, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Huge amounts of variety – the studio is all about games, with loads of different projects and genres. There’s an opportunity to be involved in really creative projects. The studio is a really dynamic environment and there is an opportunity to work on technically challenging and creatively rich projects. This last year it has developed cross-play technology, supported 100-player online games and delivered next-gen launch titles. There are real opportunities for growth and development, but these need to be more clearly signposted. A good mix of internal and external projects. This is the studio that developed Overcooked! 2, The Escapists 2 and The Survivalists. It also supports developers on the Games Label, with varying team sizes, from a one-person bedroom programmer through to full development teams – each with their own way of working – so you get exposure to lots of different approaches to games development. Studios in Manchester and Wakefield. The new studio in Manchester looks great and should help to attract new talent! There have been some really high-quality titles put out this year that the studio can be really proud of, including Hell Let Loose, Greak, Super Magbot, Hokko Life and Narita Boy.

Cons

The studio has been absolutely terrible at sharing a vision and direction during the pandemic. Communication has been really poor, with people feeling like they have no idea how their work fits into the bigger picture. All of the great stuff mentioned above has been neglected and people have forgotten what is great about the place. There’s been a lack of visible leadership over the past year – but it feels like there’s been an acknowledgement of this and things are starting to be turned around. The studio has been playing catch up with growth for a while now – there’s been lots of projects coming through the studio and it’s felt very reactionary. It does feel like there are some systems going in place now to manage the projects and ensure that teams aren’t overloaded. Games is a growth industry and that growth has continued through the pandemic. As a result, the job market is hot and Team17 must recognise this to ensure that it retains talent.

3 people found this review helpful
  4. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Complete refusal to go with the times

Sep 4, 2021 - 3D Artist in Wakefield, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Absolutely wonderful, smart and hard working colleagues. Project variety is always engaging and doesn't let you get bored.

Cons

Complete refusal to grant remote working with the exception of mental health issues, staff is leaving in droves and the companies rating is what it is now only because of new post-grad staff that don't know any better, don't worry, you'll get the idea soon. Some and I mean some older veterans are like dinosaurs that constantly remind you how much easier it is now, talking about game ideas with them is hard since they barely follow newest trends. Pay is quite low, if you get employed by them a few months before April you can expect it to stay the same until next April.

9 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee

One of the best employers I have worked for!

Aug 18, 2021 - Senior Digital Account Manager in Nottingham, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

I really enjoy working for Team17. The management style is open and accessible, employees are always consulted on major decisions and there is very much a feeling of inclusion. Lots of places I have worked in the past have said that they like to think of themselves as a family but Team17 is an employer I have seen go the furthest in actually living up to it. We are given gift packages at special times, have events thrown for us when we launch successful products and are more generally are treated with trust and respect. If you get the chance to work here you should take it.

Cons

I honestly couldn't put down a con that wouldn't apply to anywhere else I have worked.

4 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Former Employee

Absolutely toxic nightmare.

Oct 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are some really decent people there, but all the best ones seem to be leaving in droves.

Cons

Prior to going public was a decent place, but in the past couple of years working conditions have deterioted and the company no longer cares about anything but it's share price. Talented people are either leaving or wanting to leave. No longer makes decent original games and doesn't seem to care about the development side of the business any more.

6 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Toxic Place With No Care for Staff

Sep 17, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some nice gifts on occasions

Cons

There is plenty to write but long story short is the company treats workers like cogs in a machine. No empathy or compassion in treatment of staff.

6 people found this review helpful
  8. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Please, please listen to your staff

Jul 14, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great people who genuinely care for what they do - HR always listen and feel trustworthy - Release gifts and Director of Fun events are a nice highlight

Cons

- Grossly underpaid across departments - Feels like employee input only matters when it benefits those higher up - Internal promotions have hidden goal posts and aren’t encouraged as much as they should be

16 people found this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Current Employee

Lack of vision and management.

Sep 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The only pro about working here is the amazing people you will get to work with.

Cons

- Bad management - Low Pay and benefits - No Vision or creativity, unwilling to create unique IP compared to other small studios who will explore new boundaries and push their limits. - Console Conversion studio, nothing unique has been developed for a long long long time.

11 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Former Employee

Poorly Paid, Poorly Managed, Sausage Factory.

Sep 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Sadly some of the really talented staff are the only pro and they're wasted at Team17. All the best are slowly leaving though due to conditions.

Cons

- Poor pay. - Poor Leadership. - Unpaid overtime. - Mediocre Benefits. - Refusal to allow hybrid working from home. - Each department is overworked and pushed to it's limits due to the amount of projects. - Projects doomed to fail from the start with a lack of support from the upper management teams. - All, and I mean all, projects are driven by a commercial desire to release as quickly as possible with no real care for quality and the studio management roll over and let this happen.

16 people found this review helpful