The Siegfried Group Reviews

Updated 15 May 2020

3.5
The Siegfried Group Founder & CEO Rob Siegfried Jr.
Rob Siegfried Jr.
Pros
  • "Work Life Balance much better than Big 4 audit(in 11 reviews)

• "Exposure to the large Fortune 1000 companies (across industries as well)(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Having Siegfried on your resume may actually hurt your competitiveness if the next hiring manager you interview with is from the big 4(in 9 reviews)

• "Work/Life balance could be better(in 7 reviews)

1. "Good pay but no career progression / learning"

Former Employee - Senior Associate

I worked at The Siegfried Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Pay is good although very bonus driven and they take a while to pay out so you always feel stuck in the company while waiting for your next bonus -Not bad for new CPAs wanting out of Audit but not sure where to go next. Can go to TSG to get a taste of different industry roles. At the very least you'll find out what you DON'T want to do next

Cons

-As you are essentially a temp worker for clients, they do not invest in your learning/growth and neither does TSG -TSG does not care what types of roles you would like to be contracted for and the experience you are looking to gain. They just want you out at the first client available, no matter whether you've already spent time in a similar role and want to broaden experience. -You are always at the mercy of the client and TSG does not have your back. Many of my colleagues were borderline abused by clients but TSG will not stand up for you at all as long as the client is paying your fees. -Generally, client culture is very negative towards temp workers from TSG and will treat you poorly -The company is run like a cult. You need to drink the kool-aid to get promoted, etc.

The Siegfried Group2020-05-15
  2. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The Siegfried Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Bonus structure is good. Good group of employee's

Cons

Management. They only care about revenue and not the staff

The Siegfried Group2020-04-27

"Great experience"

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at The Siegfried Group full-time

Pros

Good experience, solid pay and benefits

Cons

Not necessarily a con if you have an open mind, but you will likely have the best options and experience if you can be flexible on location of certain assignments

The Siegfried Group2020-04-01
  4. "Great Company"

4.0

I have been working at The Siegfried Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work/life balance and if the firm does well, you get compensated for it

Cons

Hard to advance in your career.

The Siegfried Group2020-03-24

"Churn and Burn Environment"

1.0
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Wilmington, DE

I worked at The Siegfried Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Compensation, Professional Resources are quality individuals.

Cons

Churn and Burn environment. Their model is to basically hire anyone, throw them out to the wolves and if you get an"Outstanding" rating, they will put you on another client. If it doesn't work out(average rating or below), you are FIRED. They do not care what the reason is or if you had no idea that there was any issues. There is no in-between which is why they hire a LOT of people. Most don't make it past a year. Too many unnecessary positions(top heavy) If you are not in the "good ole boy" club, your job is at risk if you are not exceptional. They do not really care about you. They will care when you are getting hired and if you are a TOP PERFORMER, but everyone else is essentially worthless to them. WATCH OUT for your job because the last recession caused a lot of layoffs at this company. Leaving a secure job for this might seem lucrative but could be a VERY BAD idea because companies like this only thrive when the economy is thriving which is why the CEO is very open about being a far-right CONSERVATIVE, fiscally and socially.

The Siegfried Group2020-04-14
  6. "Good Pay - Mixed Opportunities"

Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

I have been working at The Siegfried Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Considerable pay increase coming from Big 4 and sizeable incentives

Cons

The clients and projects vary widely as does the work you are contracted to do - some work doesn't further your career

The Siegfried Group2020-03-10

"Great Experience"

Former Employee - Associate Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The Siegfried Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Love the emphasis Siegfried places on my development; company is genuinely interested in seeing me grow as a professional and especially as a person. Really encourage you to become your best self. Siegfried's investment in me is unparalleled to anywhere I've seen before (and surpasses programs offered by client companies in my market (SF, CA)). Lots of room for growth in the company and MANY paths to leadership. Fantastic incentive compensation - bonus structure is insane, you really can earn more than 40-60% of your salary in bonuses (base salary = over $100K as is). SO MANY opportunities for bonus comp: overtime incentives, production incentives, client service incentives, travel incentives, business development incentives, etc etc etc. Generous expense policy; no budget to wine and dine your clients just need to have it approved; $1000 free money to spend on your friends/family/colleagues; $1500 allowance to spend on your wellness & professional development; they reimburse you for any CPA or designation / license fees...List goes on.

Cons

- Benefits not as good as other places in the US, but pretty standard - Big, big bonuses if you travel for work (34% bonus on paychecks) and for overtime (this ranges depending on hours worked and your level: avg =$31,650) but if you have a family this might be harder to achieve - Most major holidays are observed but some are not (MLK day) - If you don't like going to Vegas, Miami, LA, Deer Valley for firm paid trips Wednesday-Sunday, maybe not the best place for you (not sarcasm, some ppl don't like this) - CEO is pretty outspoken, but you only have to hear him a handful of times in the year....and get a $8,000 bonus for listening to his rants at firm conferences (x3/year)

The Siegfried Group2020-02-20

"A Meaningless Place of Employment On My Resume"

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Siegfried Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Raised my base compensation.

Cons

Quality work is not what is marketed. I had more responsibility as an intern in public accounting.

The Siegfried Group2020-02-09

"Thank you Siegfried"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Rogers, MN

I have been working at The Siegfried Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I joined The Siegfried Group (“Siegfried”) for what I thought was going to be a 4-year stint and location stop in my career while my wife was transplanted to complete her 4-year medical residency at the Cleveland Clinic. Little did I know what was to follow. I couldn’t have gotten off to a worse start when I was assigned to a multi billion dollar mining companies corporate FP&A team (the “buyer”) who planned to insert me within their IT group as the finance expert to liaise and report back to corporate FP&A. The tension between the groups was evident on day 1. The project was to help determine expense vs. capital treatment, system coding and work flow, along with creating their annual budget and 5-year strategic plan and be the finance voice for IT. I was sympathetic to the IT teams challenges and quickly embraced the IT team’s style. This did not sit well with the buyer and within two months they called the local Siegfried managing director (“MD”) and said I was done – “get Tom out of here!” I should have expected to be let go on the spot. “Who is this brand new resource upsetting my established client; what is going on?” the MD had to be thinking. However, the MD came out directly to speak with me, to get my side of the story, determine his own fact pattern based on feedback not only from the buyer but also myself, the resource. I learned two extremely valuable lessons that day. 1. Consulting 101 means keeping your buyer happy. This is not a required audit service that the client has to pay for in some fashion. The buyer is choosing to use their company’s hard earned money to engage us for what they deem to be very important work that they cannot get to on their own. They need to feel good about the arrangement, period. I was a little hard headed coming out of private equity and I did nothing to ensure the buyer was feeling good about the arrangement. 2. Leadership has our back. The resources at Siegfried are so ultra valuable. Leadership goes out of their way to ensure they are delivering on the 5 promises to us. They want us happy, they want us to stay as long as possible and create win / win scenarios while catapulting our careers. I have experienced countless examples of this throughout my time at the firm. Moving on from job 1 – things get better: With a wife putting in 70 hours every week on rotations, I needed to be there for my two boys. I was given 8 outstanding opportunities in 4-years in the local market while not traveling at all. Public debt raises as part of an acquisition, proforma build outs, consolidations group accounting, international intercompany reporting, external reporting for public filers, plant controller for a division reporting to public companies, and assimilating into another big four firms culture and use of audit software to benchmark against my time at Grant Thornton. The hockey stick learning curve reminded me of when I came out of college into public accounting. Yet I was getting paid for all the blood sweat and tears. My mental state changed, I was being rewarded and people appreciated me. During the first 4-years, I was quickly embraced by all the local and regional leadership and found myself attending these super extravagant recruiting and business development events. I became a team leader to help others and share best practices, and worst practicesJ. The My Journey (“MyJ”) experience was launched, and I just remember being in awe. The forward thinking, the investment in us, the challenges presented to us, the change of mindset it brought on, was something out of this world. The MyJ days were the most valuable and treasured experiences of my year, hands down! I wrote a thank you email to our CEO for that very reason. Naturally, 4-years was up, and I was not even close to being ready to leave the firm, but we were leaving Cleveland. So…..I guess I’ll travel, while the wife completes her fellowships, and the family continues to bounce around the country. Travel begins – opportunities get exponentially better: The very first assignment was an IPO readiness project north of Atlanta, GA. I was given a team of Siegfried seals to pull off an incredibly tight deadline and ask; but we did it. We learned with the client and PwC IPO experts and the Company files today on the NYSE. We were so valued by the Company. So appreciated, and respected, and we left with such incredible feelings all the way around. From the IPO, I left for Austin, TX where I worked in parallel with a treasury operations team to raise $46 billion in debt financing across multiple instruments and tranches in order for two companies to merge as the largest technology deal of all time. I then headed to Philadelphia and welcomed the opportunity to fulfill the Director of External Reporting and Technical Accounting for a $1 billion data analytics company with IFRS and US GAAP financial deliverables, and later assisted them with their F-4 document to go public as a foreign filer. Then to Los Angeles where I lead a team of 5 Siegfried professionals in parallel with PwC; to produce sixteen sets of three-year, SEC compliant financial statements for the regional sports networks that were carved out of an existing acquisition, which was known as the largest sports transaction in history valued at over $15 billion. Moving across the country to Manhattan to assist a $10 billion media company’s external reporting team with all annual and quarterly external reporting responsibilities and lease adoption nuances. The point to my ranting is that the locations of work, and type of work that Siegfried has provided me is nothing short of jaw dropping. Oh, and by the way, Siegfried pays you more when you travel because they understand the inconvenience it causes for most; yet it is now my convenience. I now reside outside of Minneapolis, MN as part of a National Road Warrior market and I see everyone I know at least annually at our lavish annual retreats. I am not aware of a single company that gives back and promotes having fun as much as Siegfried. I’m an active 8-year professional resource, and I’m here to thank Siegfried!

Cons

Mandatory minimum number of contacts for relationship tracker for outside networking. Great intention and purpose, but expected hour commitment with relationship building is not aligned with actual requirements.

The Siegfried Group2019-10-04

"Challenging work, 45hr work week, amazing comp but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at The Siegfried Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- short term projects to fill critical needs at clients - most of the time the work is interesting & challenging and even when it's not, you still get to network with a new team/client who's usually Fortune 500/1000 so not a bad network to have - comp and bonus structure is amazing. rewards you for anything you put in that is above and beyond. very entrepreneurial i.e. you can pick and choose what you want to put your time and efforts in and you get rewarded for the extra efforts, or if things are going on in your life that require more attention than "extra" work just do the bare minimum required and settle for base pay and that's fine too. - CEO is passionate about the firm and about developing and retaining talent.

Cons

- if you get deployed the moment you get hired there's a fair bit of onboarding to do so in a way it's like starting 2 new jobs at the same time. - for leadership development programs/firm wide meetings (in super nice places like the Cosmopolitan in Vegas), we have to share a room with a roommate. Some of us would really rather stay at a cheaper nearby hotel if we can get our own room. Feedback has been provided at one of the group sessions, if this does get rectified i'll update this review accordingly.

The Siegfried Group2019-09-04