The Washington Post Reviews

Updated 22 Jun 2020

4.3
The Washington Post CEO and Publisher Frederick J. Ryan Jr.
Frederick J. Ryan Jr.
Pros
  • "Good work/life balance which is rare(in 17 reviews)

• "If you are committed to journalism and willing to work hard, it is a rewarding experience(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "The newspaper is made everyday so shifts rotate(in 12 reviews)

• "It is very much an old boys club and unless you’re a white man there is no chance of you rising to any management or upper management position(in 11 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Ad Operations Specialist in London, England

I worked at The Washington Post full-time

Pros

Loads of benefits and competitive salaries.

Cons

Flat hierarchy and closed plan office.

June 22, 2020The Washington Post Team

Thanks for being part of The Washington Post team in London. We’re glad you enjoyed the benefits of working at The Post. We continue to find ways to offer competitive benefits and salaries to encourage a diverse team. Thanks for your thoughts on the office space. We’ll pass that onto out team. You mention a “flat hierarchy.” We’d love to know more details. Feel free to confidentially e-mail us at life@washpost.com. Thanks!

2. "Great Work life balance and flexible hours for employee"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for less than a year

Pros

No micro management, work focussed that means flexibility in office hours, Post cares for their people.

Cons

Can't think of much. But being an immigrant, I noticed that if any local citizen(American) is beside me, I'm the least to be noticed or given attention.

July 7, 2020The Washington Post Team

We’re glad you overall enjoy working at The Washington Post. Employees often comment they enjoy our flat organization, flexibility, and colleagues. Your comment about getting less attention is concerning. If you feel comfortable, feel free to confidentially e-mail us with more details at life@washpost.com. We take that seriously and would like to hear more about your experience. Thanks!

3. "Great workplace, questionable management"

Former Employee - Staff Writer

I worked at The Washington Post full-time

Pros

The Post produces great journalism and you're surrounded, mostly, by wonderful colleagues. It is a place you can feel proud to work for.

Cons

The management leaves a lot to be desired and is rarely responsive to the needs of staff. There is a hubris that permeates the upper levels of management that clouds their assessment of their own shortcomings.

June 15, 2020The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We’re glad you enjoyed working alongside great people delivering world-class journalism. Also, thanks for your thoughts on how we can improve. We work hard at acting on constructive feedback. It’s why we take our annual employee survey seriously and work closely with leadership on areas for growth. If you have specific examples, we’d find hearing them helpful. Feel free to confidentially e-mail us at life@washpost.com. Thanks!

4. "no upward mobility"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The Washington Post full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

a lot of independence to be creative and innovative

Cons

not a lot of support, toxic culture that awards bros, no upward mobility except for the favored few regardless of individual successes and merits

June 8, 2020The Washington Post Team

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Since innovation is one of our values, we’re happy to hear you experienced the freedom to be creative. When it comes to favoritism, we’re concerned to hear this. Merit and promotions are based on good work as evaluated through constant conversation with your manager and the annual performance review. We’d love to hear more about your experience so we can address it. Feel free to confidentially e-mail us at life@washpost.com. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

5. "Great work/life balance and interesting work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture has changed a lot in the last year or two on the site side as a software engineer. I am speaking for the site engineering article team specifically with this review. Work/life balance is amazing, there is a great sense of taking ownership, leadership gives us breathing room to make meaningful technical decisions, and the work is very interesting. I haven't had a job this low-stress and interesting in awhile.

Cons

I can't think of any.

May 21, 2020Talent Attraction & Development Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review - we appreciate it when our employees take the time to leave us feedback. We are so glad to hear that you feel empowered to make the decisions necessary to keep your work moving forward!

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing team mates and leadership. Continuous technology adoption. Open communication.

Cons

Can be somewhat disorganized at times with less formal career paths.

April 30, 2020Talent Attraction & Development Specialist

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review! We're so glad to hear that you enjoy working with your team in Chicago. If you need help working out your career path at The Post feel free to send us a confidential email at life@washpost.com.

7. "Great start at a forward thinking company"

Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Post has been a great place to work especially in an industry struggling to find its footing. Everyone at the Post is incredibly bright and forward thinking, making it a fun and challenging work environment.

Cons

Can't think of any at this time.

April 22, 2020Talent Attraction & Development Specialist

We love to hear from our employees, so thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are so glad that you are finding the work challenging and are enjoying the culture at The Post.

8. "There's room to improve"

Current Employee - Video Editor/Producer in Washington, DC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for less than a year

Pros

There's a ton of resources available and professional development opportunities

Cons

I don't feel comfortable saying at this time

May 5, 2020Talent Attraction & Development Specialist

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review - we appreciate feedback from all our employees (past and present)! We are so glad to hear that you feel you have the resources you need for professional development. If you have further feedback you'd like to give, please feel free to confidentially email us at life@washpost.com.

9. "Glad I accepted the Position"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Manager and team are great. Everyone wants to help

Cons

The only con i see is the commute to DC

April 20, 2020Talent Attraction & Development Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review - we appreciate it when our employees (past and present) take the time to leave us a review. We're so glad that you are finding The Post to be a welcoming place to work!

10. "Great company that values people over money"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Maximum flexibility on working hours - Everyone loves what they are doing, creating a great positive environment - Company is really supportive in case of any issue may arise - Company values growth, offering many possibility to learn new skills and advance to your next role

Cons

- 401k match lower than the average of this sector - Health Insurance plans are not the best/cheapest you can find

April 3, 2020Talent Attraction & Development Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. We're glad to hear that you are enjoying the flexibility the Engineering Team is able to offer and that you feel supported at The Post! We strive to offer a competitive benefits package and evaluate our offerings throughout the year - if you have suggestions on how we can improve please confidentially email us at life@washpost.com.

Found 297 reviews