Vision Express Reviews

Updated 25 Jun 2020

3.1
Vision Express CEO Onur Köksal
Onur Köksal
Pros
  • "They have many benefits for the employees such as free glasses and even discounts with other companies(in 8 reviews)

• "Clean and tidy working environment(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Slow response to pay, micromanaged at times, long hours(in 7 reviews)

• "lack of communication between head office and management team(in 6 reviews)

1. "Excellent"

5.0
    Current Employee - Retail Associate in Manchester, England

I have been working at Vision Express part-time

Pros

Training Career opportunities Team ethics

Cons

There aren't any cons to mention

2. "Loved my team"

4.0
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Workington, England

I worked at Vision Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Builds a great knowledge in optics

Cons

Given two weeks notice of closing down.

3. "Poorly run company"

2.0
    Former Employee - Optical Assistant in Stirling, Scotland

I worked at Vision Express part-time for less than a year

Pros

Customer base, Colleagues, Lunch Break of 45 minutes, Free Stuff once a year

Cons

Poor upper level management, Lack of training, All about numbers, Borderline unethical practices

4. "Vision Express"

Current Employee - Cash Office Assistant in Nottingham, England

I have been working at Vision Express part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good team to work with

Cons

not the best benefits no overtime etc

5. "Very bad work ethic"

Former Employee - Store Manager in London, England

I worked at Vision Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

not very much to say

Cons

expected to work more hours without pay, little wage for the amount of job, 0 support

6. COVID-19

"Morally Bankrupt"

Current Employee - Distribution in Nottingham, England

I have been working at Vision Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

No Pros to speak of.

Cons

During the first week of the Covid 19 crisis Vision Express immediately sacked large numbers of agency workers, mothers, sons, father, daughters and left them to survive on their own. Their employment of agency workers in the first place is morally egregious and tantamount slavery as they take advantage of vulnerable foreign workers and pay very very little. Thankfully I remained and kept my job, however due to the minimal staff I am undertaking the workload of three people with pressure to keep the same productivity and turnover as before. I am not being paid anything extra and the managers have openly laughed and sworn at me when I asked them to acknowledge that I am stretched too thin and deserve more. There have been multiple instances of racism and mistreatment, with British staff getting extra breaks, and being allowed to discuss operations in their own language (which we are not). The working practices are atrocious with people still being made to work in close quarters with virtually no Coronavirus Risk Assessment/Method Statement. If I left now they would be entirely snowed under as I truly feel I am holding they entire department up on my own with the amount of work that I am undertaking, however to get no appreciation and to be openly ridiculed is the worst kind of harassment one could imagine. NEVER work here. Even at the higher levels the amount of bad language, attitude and stupidity really show.

Continue reading
  7. "Primarily Good Experience"

4.0
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Vision Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Opportunities to progress if you work to make it happen. - Great learning and development team and courses. - Efficient computer systems. - Clean store environments. - Generous discounts on eyewear / free annual eyewear. - Plenty of good people / colleagues.

Cons

- Certain support office departments unpleasant/unhelpful to stores - including the lab where glasses are made. - Feeling micro-managed at times by Regional Management. - Salary not reflective of responsibility and pressure put on you.

8. COVID-19

"Disappointment"

Former Employee - Warehouse Assistant in Nottingham, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Vision Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Relatively friendly atmosphere, considering that this is a warehouse job. People are genuinely helpful to each other and don't display toxic attitudes.

Cons

- Having spoken to other employes, I can confirm that minor issues are not being solved for years. This leads to a situation where most people develop 'I can't bother' attitude. Minor issues might seem not important, but if there are dozens of them, they lead to unnecessary frustration and decrease in production efficiency. - Some supervisors appear to be incompetent, since most issues raised to them take them months to solve. This results in a lot of frustration. - Training is provided, but the standard is disappointing, especially at the glazing department. - Some team leaders display passive aggressive approach, making some of the employees anxious.

Continue reading

"A once great company gone very very bad."

Store Manager in Southampton, England

I worked at Vision Express

Pros

It’s a job, it’s optics.

Cons

Toxic upper management from Director levels downwards. Desire to make more profit anyway possible, regardless of impact on people. Training not supported at the levels it used to be this reduces wages for new people joining as they are unable to earn the gold level pay for nearly 18 months and counting. Reductions of staffing across the board. Resulted in huge staffing reductions leaving people to lone work habitually in numerous stores. Leaving people at risk. Large stores expected to trade with minimal staff across long trading hours. Overtime is expected by management (without thanks) and unpaid often running into weeks of owed time. 20 minute testing across the board stressing Optoms who don’t have enough shop floor team to do prescreen meaning even shooter testing times because your feedback was customers spend to much time in store, can assure you they didn’t mean the eye examination part of the time in store. Dare not have an opinion on what could help the business move forward or you will be a target as demonstrated by the regional team member redundancies. This company used to feel like a family, in the last 15 months it became a heartless machine.

Continue reading
  10. "Stressful working environment"

2.0
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in London, England

I worked at Vision Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

great team, staff and friends&family discount

Cons

high expectations in return for a bad pay, no work-life balance, stores are always short-staffed, overall stressful working environment, uncomfortable uniform, not many opportunities for progression

Vision Express Response

February 25, 2020Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, we appreciate your feedback and would encourage for you to make contact to discuss in more detail human.resources@visionexpress.com.

Found 61 reviews