iCrossing Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

iCrossing Reviews

Updated 3 April 2019

Mike Parker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Fantastic work/life balance for an agency (rarely left after 5)" (in 21 reviews)

• "Great community environment, everyone is very fun to work with, can learn a lot as everyone is excellent in there area" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lack of training; heavy emphasis of profitability; difficult to retain talent; top-heavy upper management--too many chiefs, not enough indians" (in 13 reviews)

• "When someone leaves, no one bats an eye" (in 11 reviews)

1. "On the up again"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at iCrossing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly team who care both about their clients and the team
    Realisation from the top that change is needed - efforts to instigate this which are starting to be rolled out eg flexible working, diversity & inclusivity training
    Great offices in both Brighton & London
    Plenty of socialising but also grown up element to agency life
    Young blood being brought in to work alongside some very experienced people across all performance marketing channels
    Producing some award winning work
    Independent and care about quality of staff - right people are wanted to continue forward momentum

Cons

Historical poor management & hiring within senior team which had a big impact over last few years, but now being addressed
    Sometimes stretched for time

Advice to Management

Keep driving forward, keep quality of team high, communicate more, lean into change as usual

"Disingenuous, arrogant and political"

Former Employee - SEO Director in London, England
    Former Employee - SEO Director in London, England

I worked at iCrossing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really nice team members outside of senior management in the agency.

Cons

Shockingly arrogant and closed-minded senior management who do not even allow managers and others into client meetings, nor have any say in changes to the business.

They have a tag line of “change as usual” while consistently refusing to change or hear any criticisms.

I was head hunted for a senior role, only to be taken into a room during the day and escorted out of the building a week before my probation with no reviews, warnings, HR present or any procedures followed. Not even an extension was offered just an instant dismissal with no reason.

I have hired and managed many people in my career and have never, nor would ever just remove someone without given them a chance to improve or at least some notice so that they can prepare for a new role, I’ve had several people not pass probation and have never treated them so poorly.

They didn’t even say thank you, shake my hand or even offer a referral.

As a working professional this has greatly effected my means of having an income as they didn’t have the decency to warn me it wasn’t working and actually lied about my performance and have yet to provide any evidence to the claims they made against me.

I was also told not to look at other channels as that’s “best placed somewhere else” even though I have worked cross-channel at much bigger agencies with much larger clients. This is while their current job spec for my exact role says how important working with other channels is.

I was not introduced to two of my main clients for the entire 2 and a half months of my probation despite asking over 10 times.

Clients thought that members of the company had left the business as their replies were so infrequent.

I have worked at some of the biggest agencies and networks in my career and this by far was the worst agency, one of the smallest I’ve worked at with the largest, misplaced ego.

You will learn nothing here as they do nothing new, we were given strategies with deliverables that meant nothing and so had to make up whatever these meant as they’d been already sold into the client.

I had zero support during my time hear and no one that reported to me (7 people) had any objectives in place, some of them having been there for nearly 6 years.

A lengthy review but I think agencies should not be allowed to treat people this way and I think it’s damaging to the industry as a whole.

In only 8 weeks of being there 7-8 people left, some even during probation as they had also been miss sold on their role.

Really would not recommend working here if you want an honest, genuine agency.

Advice to Management

Come out of your clique and actually talk to your employees, you’re a tiny agency and have no excuse for such behaviour.

3. "Great place to start your career and move on ..."

Former Employee - Paid Search Analyst in London, England
    Former Employee - Paid Search Analyst in London, England

I worked at iCrossing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with brands, work-life balance, friendly atmosphere

Cons

Poor career progression, self-focused senior management team, uninspiring MDs

Advice to Management

The majority of the managers were adding no value to the company but SMT did not seem interested even to assess their performance. Most senior members were constantly appraising each other so they could keep their jobs and high salaries. The bulk of the work was carried out by inexperienced interns and badly paid junior employees. that were constantly under a lot of pressure. Hard-working and talented individuals often ended up staying in the same role for several years but those who shouted out loud could walk up the ladder faster, without necessarily adding much value to the business.

"Big name clients, great people, and friendly culture"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Brighton, England
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Brighton, England

I worked at iCrossing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People: based in the Brighton office, the culture is great and super social. Not only is everyone friendly (and often actually friends outside of work), but I worked with people who were some of the sharpest in the industry, and really know their stuff.

Progression: I felt my manager always has my back, and helped me pushing towards my career progression and promotion. There was always opportunities for training (although sometimes you may have to ask several times before getting things confirmed), and decent knowledge sharing between teams to help also.

Clients: iCrossing is one of very few agencies in Brighton where you have the chance to work on big household names, whilst still in an agency which feels close-knit. iCrossing clients include brands like M&S, L'Oreal, CurrencyFair, and Aldi, so a good mix!

Cons

Pay Reviews: when I was at iCrossing there was only a single annual pay review for all staff, in October. This meant if you got promoted at another time, you would end up waiting to have your salary reflect your new role. Not great, and one of my biggest pain-points when there, although believe this is now corrected to have a review point every 6 months for all staff...

Perks: there is a medical/dental cashback plan, but feels limited (although this may be personal perception as I came from a company which offered full private medical).

Coffee: may sound petty, but the coffee situation in the Brighton office wasn't great! Options were instant, filter, or cafetiere - could do with a decent machine to save trips to local coffee shops!

Advice to Management

Continue listening to staff and responding to their concerns. Make sure opportunities for training and progression are made available to everyone, and not just those who shout the loudest.

"A brilliant agency with tons of opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in London, England

I have been working at iCrossing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my previous job prior to iCrossing, I headed up all UK agency relationships at The Drum, so I knew the exact kind of agency I wanted to work with and that agency was iCrossing - needless to say they were the right choice.

Over the last few years at iCrossing, I've been given so much opportunity. I've been given travel opportunities across Europe and North America and I've made some life long friendships through my job.

In marketing my role is to know a little about everything we do, which means I often have to rely on our in-house experts to deliver most of the detailed aspects of my job and this is never a problem. The people in the agency not only empower you to learn from them but they encourage collaboration and are always there when you need them.

iCrossing run training across all products monthly from SEO 101's to Display 101. They offer presentation skills training with outside consultants. Run personality workshops to enure you understand your teams personality traits and ways of working. And they even run mock pitch todays to allow teams to advance their pitching skills.

My personal highlight about iCrossing is that their join leaders have an open door policy and really value what you have to day. Of course not everything is actionable (otherwise I would be able to bring my dog into the office) but they certainly feedback reasons around whatever your concern is. The agency even has working groups that allow you to opt in and have your say around things like flexible working, diversity and culture.

Which brings me onto my final point; culture. The culture at iCrossing is brilliant in my opinion. We're just went through a little bit of turn-over (but who hasn't) and everyone is still in it together - we have weekly quizes, monthly cocktail competitions, monthly breakfast and early finish fridays and we have a culture club that arranges what the people of the office want delivered.

Working in our industry is evolving and sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worst. But if you want a friend to help you weather some of the storms our industry throws at you then iCrossing is the place to be as we're all in it together.

Cons

I genuinely really enjoy my job here at iCrossing but of course there are a few cons, like everywhere. The office is gorgeous, but it's in the middle of tourist central. We're an agile agency, but sometimes there is not enough hours in the day to get everything done - however we have a resource team here who have been superstars at helping take some of the pressure off. And lastly, you can't have dogs in the building, a personal con for me.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your teams and continue to act where possible - we appreciate all your hard work and know that not every problem can be solved but knowing that you hear us when we speak up means a lot.

"Would Recommend"

I worked at iCrossing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was at the agency for a year and only left to stop the London commute. It is a great agency with an enviable list of clients who respect the work we did.

The people make the agency and iCrossing is no exception. You'll make great friends who will inevitably stay in the industry and be beneficial to you for years to come.

Agency life is a demanding and competitive one and prone to change. Staff turnover is par of the course and iCrossing was relatively agile and quick to react considering its size and were quite clear in the objectives.

Cons

Bearing in mind I left over a year ago, many of these may have been addressed. My biggest pain points were a lack of training or career development, strongest talent in the agency were pulled into the new business team at the detriment of clients (albeit when new business was a priority for iCrossing), and an extensive leadership team who failed to show their value to staff when resource for tactical delivery was scarce.

Advice to Management

If my cons still resonate then they would be the priority. The clients of iCrossing deserve agency investment of talent who are doing the day to day work, and management who are experts and leaders. The leadership team should be adding the most value to the business and this should be clear to every level of the business.

7. "Thumbs Up!"

Former Employee - Paid Media in London, England
    Former Employee - Paid Media in London, England

I worked at iCrossing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All round pretty positive experience at iCrossing. It was probably one my favourite places to work in my career to date. It's cliche but the people really made it for me, both from a personal and professional POV. If you put the effort in, you will be rewarded.

If you were lucky enough to work on good clients with a good team of specialists, you can do great work and really innovate.

I would argue that a number of the recent notably negative reviews here are from people that simply weren't very good.

It was great to see iX really develop the brand while I was at the agency, kudos to the Marketing department.

Cons

Poor line management experience which should have addressed sooner.

Pay review timings were an issue but I believe this has now been addressed.

Blurred line of responsibility between client servicing leads and specialist team leads.

A series of poor hires were made which led to a dip in the level of talent and output of work. These were hires were made out of an immediate need for resource without full consideration of the ripple effects within the agency.

Advice to Management

Try to maintain the independent & challenger agency vibe as much as possible. Don't try to be something that you aren't!

Reward good people more often (both financially and from a role perspective)

8. "Declining agency who used to be good"

I worked at iCrossing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to start a career
    Had great line management at first
    HR are really great, super supportive and very approachable
    work/life balance is good because nobody seems to do any work in the london office

Cons

Lost direction, very poor standard of work
    Lots of good people left and nothing was done to resolve this
    Salary is low
    Rewards given to those who will brown nose management and not to those who deal with, and fix things, every day
    Watch people who have not achieved what you have get given opportunities and move forwards with their career whilst you get bullied by line management

Advice to Management

Its too late, you may as well give up

9. "Former employee"

I worked at iCrossing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

During my time at iCrossing I have met a few good people (who have now left).

Cons

iCrossing is in decline. I have never worked for such a bad agency and everyone who wants a role in a digital agency should be aware of that.

They have been losing some of their biggest clients and have not won any new business in over a year.

The management team has never been able to look after its staff and as a consequence a lot of people have resigned (about 10 in 4 months) or are planning on leaving.

As the company is understaffed, employees are under a huge pressure and there is no space/time for personal development whatsoever.

For your own good, do not work for iCrossing.

Advice to Management

If you want to be successful, look after your staff instead to put your clients first. Something needs to change

10. "A company in decline, don't waste your time applying for jobs here"

Current Employee - PPC Analyst in London, England
    Current Employee - PPC Analyst in London, England

I have been working at iCrossing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not much to say in terms of pros.

Cons

Training
    There is a real lack of training and employee development, in such a fast paced industry like digital marketing, regular training and event attending is a must in order to stay up to date with new technologies and ways of working are key.

However, at iCrossing there is a serious lack of training even though numerous people have raised this matter but it has fallen on death ears.

Salary
    iCrossing pays below the industry average for all it’s roles and has a annual salary review once a month which is ridiculous. Many employees have received a promotion at the start of the year and have had to wait till the end of the year to receive a salary increase, so this means you have to do the work based on your promotion but not be compensated for it accordingly.

Company culture
    In 2016 this was a great place to work, constant training learning and there were continuous nights out, events to go to and parties to attend. Now there is a real lack of activities and events to attend.

If there are events or awards they are reserved for the senior management only, right now at iCrossing there is a culture of being rewarded for being part of the small circle of people (mostly the senior management team) rather than being rewarded based on the great work that you do. There is a real sense of favouritism and nepotism and a real culture in decline due to the former points.

There has been a large exodus of employees leaving in the past 6 months and they have done little to nothing to address the issue, in my opinion this agency is in denial.

Benefits
    Plain and simple, there are no benefits here worth mentioning.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and stop hiring people who are not fit for the job.