Base4 Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Base4

2.8

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Base4 (Cambridge, England) in April 2014.

Interview

Quite stressful. Technical questions were not very difficult. I had to prepare a short presentation. The atmosphere wasn't very friendly and I didn't have the chance to visit the labs. At the end I had to solve a quiz.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Base4 in February 2016.

Interview

I know three people who have interviewed with Base4 (myself included), the same interview technique was used in each case. An initial skype interview with CEO followed by face-to-face interview with senior staff. The interview focused on very specific technical topics, and was less about the candidate and more about information gathering. The CEO came across as intellectually arrogant, with very little experience in commercialising hardware.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Base4 (Cambridge, England).

Interview

Very friendly and informal interview process. General discussion of your relevant experience and technical skills. Management may ask you to repeat your presentation to a second group of employees. If the interview goes well you will be given a tour of the lab facilities.

Interview Questions

• General discussion on your PhD work, publications, previous projects, etc. Discussion on relevant skills and how you solved specific problems.   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Base4 in February 2017.

Interview

Filled in standard form, followed by Skype interview. CEO of the company was quite brash, and not particularly interested. Overall not a particularly friendly or useful experience, no feedback was given.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Base4 (Cambridge, England) in May 2018.

Interview

First was a general skype interview with typical background questions describing previous projects and experience. Second interview was onsite with two CTOs. There was a 20 minute presentation plus questions. They asked genuine questions about research work rather than the kinds of questions you see on recruitment websites. They gave me plenty of time to talk and answer the questions fully and to ask questions about the role. This was followed by a lab and office tour.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to switch to industry from academic research   Answer Question
    • How did you find out about us and what do you know about the company   Answer Question

Experimental Physicist Interview

Interview

Applied online, and was invited to have a skype call with an engineering lead. This was simple enough and went well, the chap seemed quite nice. Following this I was invited to the labs in Cambridge, and asked to prepare a presentation for my visit.

When I arrived at the labs there was no obvious reception - you go straight into their open place office, so I had to awkwardly tell the first person I encountered at the entrance I was there for a job interview. The founder Frayling then appeared and ushered me into the conference room.
    Whilst he initially seemed friendly that rapidly evaporated and he became cold and aloof during my presentation, clearly already having dismissed me as not suitable for the role based on... his gut instinct? I have no idea.
    That 'presentation' phase was cut short since we skipped a number of slides he wasn't interested in, and there was limited discussion afterwards.
    I was taken on a tour of the labs by someone else, and heard back 2 days later that they wouldn't go forward with my application.

Echoes of other reviews on here - the founder is 'odd' to put it mildly. I considered myself very well qualified for this role and was at no time in the process asked about my area of expertise. The most critical aspect seems to be whether you rub Frayling the wrong way, and a decade of related experimental work is of no concern.

Interview Questions

• What was the selling point of (my previous company) when there exists (similar other company that used to exist and doesn't even anymore anyway) - this felt like a pretty ignorant question frankly, attempting to undermine my previous experience, rather than a friendly enquiry   Answer Question

Experimental Physicist Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Base4.

Interview

Initial skype screening interview with the CEO. The CEO seemed positive but said they had too many physicists at the time. The interview itself was very brief and not very technical.

Experimental Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Base4 (Cambridge, England) in February 2015.

Interview

After applying online via cv, covering letter and a questionnaire, was asked for Skype interview. One of the most bizarre interviews I've ever had. Was asked a single question - 'why I don't you have a Ph.D. then?' to which I replied I'd wanted to get into industry at which the CEO rather abruptly ended the interview.

Was left with the impression that Base4 is very much led by the CEO's gut instinct and this could be a difficult place to work unless you are a good personality match with him.

Molecular Biologist-Biochemist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Base4.

Interview

I got in touch by email with my CV, later I was asked to send a standard form that basically just asked whether I could work or not in the UK. Then I was selected and we arranged a skype conversation which was friendly and distended, and after that the interview process did not progress further.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me what do you know about a DNA preparation"   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.