Civil Service United Kingdom Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Civil Service United Kingdom Interview Questions

Interviews at Civil Service United Kingdom

3.4

EDIP Interview

Anonymous Employee in Telephone, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (Telephone, TX (US)) in December 2014.

Interview

Online tests (verbal, numerical, situational judgement), competency questionnaire, telephone interview.

The latter two look for the core Civil Service competencies as listed on the website.

Mostly quite basic - nothing too unexpected or difficult. Practice tests are provided before taking the actual tests, competency questionnaire is quite clear and easily answered, and interview topics are given before hand.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom in January 2015.

Interview

very informative, group interview challenging questions that related specifically to the job at hand. i don't have anything else to say about the interview process so I will not meet the thirty word minimum

Commercial Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (Bristol, England) in July 2018.

Interview

Online tests followed by supplementary mini essay on your desire for the job, then an assessment day of various activities in groups and question and answer sessions in between, lunch and refreshments were provided, an external company was contracted to assist in running of the day, it was incredibly challenging but does give you the opportunity to show how you are suited to the role and wasn't competitive in any way, it was overall relaxed and almost fun at times

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you worked as part of a team towards a common goal   1 Answer

Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (Newcastle upon Tyne, England) in November 2017.

Interview

Long, difficult process. The assessment centre was very intense. I thought the writing exercise was the hardest. I also found the group exercise quite intimidating. Fake it till you make it

Interview Questions

• Prepare 5 min talk on information given and be prepared to answer question   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom.

Interview

The application involved answering about 6 competency questions (250 words each). Interview was a panel interview of 4 people. Involved presentation and exercise.
    Downpoint of applying for civil service roles as an external applicant is that for not being an existing civil servant you are penalized by starting employees of at the bottom range of the salary. However, existing civil servants are given a 10% increase on their current salary for the new role. Not having same rules apply for both internal and external applicants for salary seems rather unfair and wrong. If civil servants were applying to the private sector, they would not be penalised in this way.

Interview Questions

• Competency questions, why you want the role, why the public service and why this organisation.
      Questions on presentation and on exercise to do on the day.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom.

Interview

1. Self-Assessed Reasoning Tests - Verbal: 40 questions, 20 minutes. Numeric: 18 questions, 22 minutes.

2. Practice for the On-line Selection Tests - Verbal: 32 questions, 16 minutes. Numeric: 15 questions, 19 minutes.

3. On-line Selection Tests
    These are the tests that we use to decide whether you are a candidate for the Fast Stream. There are three tests to do:

Verbal Reasoning Test: 40 questions. 20 minutes.
    Numerical Reasoning Test: 20 questions, 25 minutes
    Fast Stream Competency Questionnaire: 31 pages of 4 questions each, not timed but allow 40 minutes.

4. The e-Tray Exercise.

5. Fast Stream Assessment Centre. Short-listed candidates will be invited to this event. It is a one-day assessment centre consisting of a series of written and group exercises and interviews held in London. A briefing document which explains the day and provides example exercises, will be made available from the Download Forms section of Maps and Forms.

6. Final Selection. There is a further stage, a Final Selection Board or Assessment (Sift), but only for the Diplomatic Service, Houses of Parliament and Science & Engineering options along with the Technology in Business and European Fast Stream schemes.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a situation in which you dealt with ethnic minorities   Answer Question

Assistant Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England).

Interview

So far I have only done the first interview (the economic assessment centre); I have the FSAC still to go.

It involved writing a technical report and policy brief on the electricity and gas industry and then answering short-format economics questions.

Then I: presented on my policy brief, answered questions on my technical report, and discussed the economics questions.

It was really fun, actually.

Interview Questions

• The asked me about the short format exam style questions. I had done a MSc. and found that the stuff I couldn't answer were 'A-level' style questions: what is the difference b/w Keynesian and Neoclassical Long Run Aggregate Supply curves and what are supernatural profits.

There was nothing about competency or my experience.   Answer Question

Interview

The assessment centre was broken down into a few components:

1) Firstly, you will be assigned an essay topic in advance for you to write a "technical report". You have 30 minutes to write the report, and are advised to show how to apply economic principles apply.

2) Next there is an economics test, which is comprised of 10 short questions. These are no more difficult than second year undergrad but you must be careful about the context in which they are framed.

3) You will be asked to give a short 10 minute presentation based on your technical report. You must assume that you are presenting to non economists. The interviewers will then ask questions based on your report, and you answer these as if you are speaking to experts.

4) Next you will be asked to expand on any of the 10 exam questions that you either didn't answer, or did not explain in much detail.

5) Finally, you will have to provide a specialist topic to go in depth on. You will explain why it interests you, explain the topic, and then the interviewers will ask you questions based on your topic. This is where you can show off! (I chose to do economic growth and development)

Interview Questions

• What are the implications of restricting immigration to the UK?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England) in March 2017.

Interview

30 minute competency-based interview. Asked one question on each of the three competencies listed in the job description. After each, they followed up by asking me to critically examine my behaviour. For example, "How would you have done things differently".

There were no surprise questions. If you prepare answers for typical questions addressing these competencies, you should be good.

Interview Questions

• Can you think of a time you had to influence a manager or superior?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Civil Service United Kingdom (London, England) in February 2013.

Interview

Very lengthy, first online tests, then competency based interview over the phone. Asked things such as when was the last time you dealt with disappointment at work. Tell us a time when you had to make a difficult decision?
    Tell us a time when you had to deal with a difficult relationship at work?

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.