Consumer Reports Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Consumer Reports

2.9

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yonkers, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Consumer Reports (Yonkers, NY (US)) in September 2017.

Interview

Had a brief call with an HR person. Then was invited to come in to meet. The HR person I was initially talking to was the worst. Took a while to schedule in person interview with group, like 2 weeks after intitial call. After the group interview, which was good, I requested he relay my thanks to everyone, which he didn't. Finally, was promised I would hear a followup the following week which I didn't I had to inquire a few times until I finally got an answer.

IT Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Consumer Reports.

Interview

I apply online on a career portal. I get an email asking for a phone interview. We have one phone interview and a skype interview. I get the job about a week later.

Interview Questions

• Why did I apply (I don't remember applying, I applied to so many places on the same day)   Answer Question

Senior Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yonkers, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Consumer Reports (Yonkers, NY (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

The interviews with the teams themselves went really well and I enjoyed discussing the challenges of the organization and learning about how passionate everyone was about consumers and their rights. The process felt really positive and I was actually very excited about the prospect of working at CR after my two rounds of on-site interviews. However, they were working with an external recruiter to fill the position and when it came time to discuss the offer, she ruined everything for me.

First off, when they were ready to extend an offer to me and she told me what the base salary was, I explicitly told her I wanted to review the entire package before I accept. There was no words that indicated that I accepted an offer or was ready to even think about accepting without seeing the full details. She also did not communicate that they were expecting a verbal acceptance, negotiation or decline of the offer. She said, "of course" and I thought we were on the same page. That wasn't what she communicated to the HR team at CR apparently. When they finally sent the offer details along, I found out she already told HR that I accepted the offer and they were very upset that I was trying to discuss the terms and details of the offer after the fact. Putting a candidate in this position is really unprofessional. It made me feel cornered and flustered. The external recruiter then told HR that I "made a mistake and didn't understand what was going on". She also told me that the didn't know "if they could trust me anymore", which left me completely disenchanted with the organization. The fact that they were not willing to have an open and transparent dialogue with me was a huge red flag, but walking into a toxic environment is never a good idea. Then the team at CR told her that "if I really wanted to work there they felt like I would've accepted the offer right away". As a candidate, this showed me that the organization does not care about my needs, how I feel once I'm in the job, and that they aren't willing ot listen to their employees. Perhaps all of this could've been avoided if the external recruiter didn't twist my words and butcher all communication between the organization and their candidates.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where the audience you were delivering research for didn't agree with your results and recommendations.   1 Answer

Laboratory Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Consumer Reports in August 2013.

Interview

Excessively lengthy process. I submitted my application and was contacted about a month later for an interview. After that interview (exclusively with HR) they told me they would contact me again if they were interested. Two and a half months later I got another call asking to come in. I interviewed with many staff members, about five in total. Everyone asked pretty basic questions. I specifically asked at the end of the interview if I would be contacted regardless of whether or not I get the job and I was told "Yes, Definitely!" However, about a year and multiple emails to HR later I still haven't gotten so much as an automated rejection email. They seemed like a really great company, but the fact that they are so disorganized and unprofessional to interviewees really rubbed me the wrong way.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yonkers, NY (US)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Consumer Reports (Yonkers, NY (US)).

Interview

Last month I interviewed with the talent acquisition associate director. While interviewing with her, we discussed how she is looking for someone who is good at following up and good at making sure people have a pleasant candidate experience with consumer reports. Hearing her say that this is what she's looking for gave me confidence that she herself would be good at following up with candidates and making sure consumer reports gives a great candidate experience. I mean, why look for someone to have qualities that you lack, right? After meeting with her I met with another lady who I believe said she's a consultant. This lady was very pleasant and I felt very comfortable talking with her. When we were done talking she asked me if the associate director told her when I would hear something and I told her that she said I should hear something early next week. The consultant then told me that they are pretty good with following up. Well, I sent in a thank you letter and got no response. I sent in a follow up email and got no response and to this day I have heard nothing. It was unfortunate to see that maybe making sure candidates have a good experience is not important at this company and after reading the other reviews on here I see that I'm not the only one....

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yonkers, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Consumer Reports (Yonkers, NY (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied online and was brought in for an interview scheduled to meet with 2 people on the HR team. As I arrived I met with the "associate director" who seemed friendly but throughout the 25-30 min interview it felt extremely rushed. To start off she was unprepared as I had to provide her a copy of my resume, and seemed uninterested in speaking with me (like she had something better to do). As she discussed how important candidate experience was to her, in my mind I chucked as the conversation with her was lacking. I then met with a recruiter who was great! She was very open, welcoming, candid and informative. She then mentioned to me that I was slated to meet with another team member (which I had no knowledge of). Luckily for me this team member was also nice. This was extremely surprising considering how the "associate director" set such a poor example for her team.
    After the interview concluded, I followed up with than-you emails the following day and received no responses.
    3 weeks later and I still have hear nothing back.
    It's ironic to me that they "pride themselves" in their "candidate experience" but don't even have the courtesy to respond back to a candidate to disclose their result or even send a rejection email. Because of this I would not recommend someone to go through this process. There are plenty of other companies out there!

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about us? Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yonkers, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Consumer Reports (Yonkers, NY (US)).

Interview

Met with HR and potential boss. It was a very comfortable and laid back process. I really liked the person I interviewed with and think it could have been a good fit. I have no concerns with the interview process. It would be nice if they gave a few free mags though.

Interview Questions

The job is not easily accessible to people who live in NYC. It is drivable if you live in a nearby town. The area is off a major highway but it's around nothing. So forget Starbucks or strolls on your lunch break.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yonkers, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Consumer Reports (Yonkers, NY (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was rushed because hiring manager wanted to meet with me at once as she wanted to make decision within weeks. HR does not provide ANY feedback and they leave you in limbo. No feedback or closure.

Interview Questions

• Behavorial interview - nothing spectacular of difficult.   Answer Question

Senior Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Consumer Reports (Yonkers, NY (US)).

Interview

Applied online and received a call-back with-in a week. I had one afternoon of interviews with 3-4 people (1 HR, 1 Manager, 2 Project Leaders). Questions were typically about my interpretation of project results, my ability to diagnose errors, and some personal interest questions. I was offered the position a week later.

Interview Questions

• A project leader asked me to explain my interpretation of a test procedure.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was not negotiation phase.

Editorial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yonkers, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Consumer Reports (Yonkers, NY (US)) in August 2016.

Interview

After meeting for three hours with HR and members of the editorial staff, the HR person told me she'd get back to me the following Wednesday, which she did, to tell me they chose another candidate. This might have been because they picked up on the fact that halfway through the interview I knew the place wasn't for me. Everyone was perfectly friendly and intelligent but the impression I got from them, coupled with my reading of the magazine, is of a once great but stodgy brand that missed the on ramp to the digital superhighway and is struggling to recapture its relevance....not easy to do when they compete with so many free review websites and specialty magazines. Nobody I spoke with seemed to have a clear idea how of this could be done. Consumer Reports' mission as an unbiased consumer advocate is an admirable one, but the digital age seems to have left them adrift. Astonishingly, one of the interviewers explained the negative Glassdoor reviews (he brought up Glassdoor - I didn't) as a reaction to change by people who have been doing things a certain way for too long. I think there's more to the story than that. When I asked him how CR planned to make up for declining print revenues, he said CR hopes consumers will buy into its mission with charitable donations, like they do with NPR and PBS. Passing the hat around doesn't sound like a viable business model to me, so I was happy to give CR a miss.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an article you worked on that made you proud.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.