Costain Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Costain Interview Questions

Updated 27 May 2018

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Costain in September 2016.

Interview

I was booked for an interview via Computing Futures, however due to an error probably on the recruiters part Simulation Systems were not expecting me and as such were in a rush to print out my CV. I was very lucky they had time to see me as someone else had cancelled their appointment that day.
    They didn't have time to prepare the proper questions so they asked about my CV and asked me to expand on work experience and details about it.

Afterwards, they had a test (that was meant for the person who cancelled) about C++ (that I haven't done before). The test had simple questions such as definitions of classes and required some understanding of hexadecimal and micro-controllers.

Finally, they showed me around the place, which was nice.

Interview Questions

• Write a code to print out all odd numbers less than 100.
      Bonus - try this without using a for or while loop, or goto statements.   Answer Question

Site Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lagos (Nigeria)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Costain (Lagos (Nigeria)) in February 2008.

Interview

First interview was with one human resources manager involving five shortlisted applicants. Only three of us were selected for second interview with the project manager, contract manager and Human Resources manager . At this stage, questions on Professionalism, behavioral questions such as conflict resolutions, attitudes, team work, cooperation, management of anger, and technical questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

To negotiate properly for appropriate salaries

Site Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Costain in June 2017.

Interview

Was invited on site, shown around and met some of the team before sitting down for the interview. Relaxed interview, as well as asking questions from me the interview explained where my experiences would be applied if I was offered the position.

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Costain (Maidenhead, England) in February 2018.

Interview

Easy process, they helped you through it, started with a 40 minute group discussion, then an 5 minute pre prepared presentation before a 2 on 1 45 minute interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maidenhead, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Costain (Maidenhead, England) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online through the graduate scheme at Costain website. Includes screening questions, after completion I was invited to an interview at the Costain Maidenhead office. The travel costs were also reimbursed, plus the interview topics were also told in advance.

Interview Questions

• Technical design question, plus presentation on selected topic and other "describe a time..." questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Costain (Coventry, England) in January 2017.

Interview

The assessment day was about a Group Presentation, Personal Presentation, Face to face interview. I applied online and I was called in a few days for the assessment day.

Interview Questions

• The face to face interview had behavioural questions and one technical question. The personal presentation was given before but they didnt ask anything on that. The group presentation was easy but always this depends on the team that you were with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Costain (Birmingham, England) in December 2016.

Interview

The Interview was a general process. I got asked typical competency based questions follow by a technical question. The guys interviewing me made me feel very comfortable and settled my nerves.

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Costain (Manchester, England).

Interview

The interview took half a day in one of Costain's assessment centers. The company had a very welcoming staff. We were half a dozen interviewees in the morning (and presumably the same number in the afternoon), and were initially given half an hour to meet each other. The secretary explained how the process would take place.
    Later, the interviewers panel came in (about 12 people). Again, we presented ourselves briefly, and started the first exercise: Group discussion (unprepared). We were given some time to discuss it between ourselves (while observed by the assessors) before presenting our solution to the problem to the same panel.
    The second part was an individual short presentation (prepared beforehand), to 2 interviewers.
    Finally, the last exercise was an individual competency interview.
    The interviewers were all very welcoming and friendly. Of course, some of the questions were meant to push the interviewees, but it was a very enjoyable process overall.

Interview Questions

• I cannot remember all the questions. Basically, the competency interview was a succession of questions "describe a time when you..."   1 Answer

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Costain (Glasgow, Scotland) in September 2016.

Interview

arrive at the location given, the provided a map was it wasnt well explained how to get there and i was almost late.

got there had to wait around 10 minutes until someone can drive me inside the site

meet with two engineers

one of them describe the project they were working on

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Costain (Coventry, England) in March 2017.

Interview

Online application:
    - Why are you interested in a position with Costain?
    - Why are you interested in the role that you are applying to?
    - What extra-curricular activities do you take part in and how do they demonstrate your communication and leadership skills?
    - What is your Unique Selling Point (USP)? - Why should we pick you?

Answered with references to their visions and values, then within 4 weeks I was offered a place at their assessment centre in Coventry:
    - Group discussion + presentation
    - Multiple choice technical questions 20min test
    - 2 on 1 interview (competency based)
    - Pre-prepared presentation to 5 assessors (5 mins)

Assessors all very kind and welcoming, offering feedback after group presentation, and interview was more of an informal chat.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Costain? Why Mech Eng? Name a time when you working under time pressure, solved a problem, solved a problem with time constraints etc.
      What are your strengths? What would you have to consider as the lead project manager (used HS2 as an example of large project)?

At the end they ask you preferred sector + location so do prior research.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.