Coventry City Council Interview Questions

Updated 12 Oct 2020

To filter interviews, or .
Found 13 of over 13 interviews

3.1
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at Coventry City Council

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Coventry City Council (London, England, England) in Oct 2020

Interview

They are two parts: Interview Role Play (telephone I had two interviewers for the first part. One of the interviewer showed no respect or interest in what I was saying. Her body language said it all and it seemed like I was wasting her time. I was emotional drained after the whole experience. During interview I was cut off in mid sentence and asked if I had any 'Council working experience'. I found this strange considering they must of viewed my application before shortlisting me. Secondly I shared an experience where I was questioned in way where it was implied I was lying. The second part was stressful & everything was abrupt. Couple minutes b4 the call they emailed x2 docs. One with imstructions & a two paged document explaining'council tax policy'. You had 15minutes to read and write notes. The pressure is on! One minute before the phone call, I was sent over a excel document to record information and update the system. At this point I was thinking WOW this is really too much and the comments on here were 100% accurate. There expectations are really high if they think someone can learn a full policy in 15 minutes :/ The process is pretty much impractical and they are obviously looking for someone with experience but have failed to state this is their job post. Ridiculous! But I made the right decision to withdraw application during second part because I wouldnt want to be apart of team who isnt going to take me seriously. Please take my review and others on here into consideration before applying for this position because what people are saying is pretty much true. I gave them the benefit of the doubt due to some comments being dated from last year but no no no.

Interview Questions
  • what key skills are needed for this role?
    Answer Question
  • Tell me about your customer service experience?
  • Tell me a time when you had conflict with your manager or colleague?
  • Tell me a time you have dealt with a difficult customer?
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Coventry City Council

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Coventry City Council in Oct 2019

Interview

Rude and aggressive! Not worth the stress! I arrived and was seated near the help desk. One of the interviewers came out 10 mins after my slotted interview time. He went straight up to an employee at the help desk and demanded to know why I wasn’t brought into the room he was sat in. I was very taken aback by this because it was very aggressive and I felt sorry for the poor girl. He walked away saying “always bring them in to me!”. He then approached me and led me towards the room he was sat in. He didn’t attempt to make any polite conversation, which I have found to be quite customary at interviews. At this point, I was in two minds about whether I really wanted the job. As I entered, I was greeted by another Interviewer who remained seated and did not stand up as I shook her hand. I found the interview to be very tense and uncomfortable. When I was giving my answers to the competency based questions, the lady was staring at the door right behind me which I found to be very rude as she did not look at me or make any eye contact. The other interviewer seemed very disinterested. God, if either of them smiled, their faces would’ve cracked! They did try to catch me out with a question relating to a conflict with a Manager. I really don’t see what the intention is with this question. It was not something I could relate to. I had a role play task after this interview. During this time, I spoke to a prospective customer about booking a stall for an event. Times and budget were the main areas to be accounted for with this. She was quite rude and told me she doesn’t have time to speak and hung up on me. I truly do not believe that this was an act as the Interviewer was very rude anyway. They did not try to sell the job to me in any way. The employee benefits they mentioned were shopping vouchers from an online portal? The salary is very low compared to my past jobs. I was informed that there were only 2 Team Leaders to manage 30 staff. If the team were to expand, I don’t think this would be sufficient. Thankfully, I received a job offer from a very reputable company who prides itself on its professionalism and staff wellbeing with a much better salary! I had a very lucky escape from working here! The impression given from one of the interviewers was that he was a bully. His demeanour evidenced this. The other interviewer was very rude too. I would not recommend for anyone to work here. I now understand why the council always advertises for customer service roles every 6 months! Low staff morale + poor management = high staff turnover

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time where you had a conflict with a Manager? How was it resolved?

Coventry City Council

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Coventry City Council

Interview

2 Stage interview, first was a phone call and then second was a face to face with the hiring manager, who had questions to ask me tailored to the job role

Interview Questions
  • what skills do you think you have that are relevant to this role? What difficulties have you faced in a previous role? What do you think you could gain from working at the council?
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Coventry City Council

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Coventry City Council

Interview

Presentation and situational judgement questions. Panel of 3 - 2 from legal and 1 from HR. Questions from background check to GDPR awareness. One mini-test around information disclosure to third parties.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Coventry City Council (Coventry, England, England) in Nov 2018

Interview

Online application - questions regarding customer service, employment skills, etc. 1:1 interview: first part role play, it was a benefits advisory scenario which required myself to assess a discretionary housing payment application, where the sheet had incomings and outgoings for the month, which required you to use numerical skills to work out their entitlement (calculator was provided). This wasn't too difficult i guess but anyone going for a benefits advising role should prepare to be able to demonstrate a good knowledge of benefits specific to the role.

Interview Questions
  • The second part was the interview questions. For this particular benefits advisory role, a lot of questions mentioned in the other reviews for Cov Council did not appear; instead, the questions were very specific to the role: 1) What is your knowledge of the role? 2) Housing legislation is always changing and this impacts how we do this role, how would you adapt to this change?

Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Coventry City Council (Coventry, England, England) in Aug 2018

Interview

Called with choice of 3 dates and again before interview, to ensure all was still ok to go ahead with, nice touch. Nice building, friendly staff, offered a drink while I waited. Interviewed by 2 people then had a practical, role-play exercise - easy, nothing to worry about, common sense (& I am awful at interviews). Whole process took 3 weeks. Was offered job 3 days later with choice of full or part time hours, then it's just the normal refs., checks etc. Very quick, considering Warwickshire CC took 5 months to finally start me.

Interview Questions
  • Name a time when you have conflicted with your manager. Why and what was the outcome?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Coventry City Council (Coventry, England, England) in Feb 2018

Interview

I completed an online application form. Following this I was invited to interview. On arrival, I was greeted by a friendly member of staff who guided me to the 'assessment room.' I was given 45 minutes to review data and was asked to extract key information and present my findings in the way I thought best. I was given a laptop, paper and pens. Following this I was interviewed by 2 individuals who asked competency based questions such as 'tell me about a time when you improved a process.' I was then given the opportunity to ask them questions.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England, England

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Coventry City Council (Coventry, England, England) in Jan 2018

Interview

Applied directly through Council jobsite. Was contacted with an interview date after a few days. Attended an assessment day which included: a group task, role play and a 1-2-1 interview. I was given a conditional offer a week after the interview. The next stage was to complete Maths and English tests and for my references to be checked by HR. Once that was satisfactory, I would’ve been given a confirmed offer. It has been 4 weeks and I have not been progressed on to complete the English and Maths test. I mean this really could have been done during the assessment day? I am still waiting for an update. Unfortunately during this time I have managed to secure a job with considerably better pay and progression. I mean 4 weeks? Come on! That is the notice period most employers ask for. No one would wait longer than that to secure a job. Very disappointed in Coventry City Council. We may have gained The City of Culture tag but it is really quite embarrassing when your Council cannot perform basic recruitment functions properly. Its all good and well to have opened new and shiny buildings but it means nothing when there’s no substance.

Interview Questions
  • 1-2-1 : General competency based questions Group task: A rural area been given funding for local community centre, how would you propose to use the money so it serves the whole community? Make notes and discuss between yourselves and negotiate an agreement.
4 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Coventry City Council (Coventry, England, England) in Sep 2017

Interview

I completed an online application form, following this I didn’t get a response and forgot about it. Two months later they rang me up offering an interview which I accepted. They had a new customer service building, the staff were friendly, and was offered a drink while I waited. There were two parts to the interview firstly asking about competencies-based questions. The questions were quite easy, and they seemed to like my answers. The second part was a telephone role play and writing an email in response to a scenario given. I was a bit nervous and didn’t think I did as well in this part. I was unsuccessful so maybe they were looking for someone more experienced,not sure.

Interview Questions
  • Give an example of a time you adapted to a new situation in the workplace.
  • Name a time when you have conflicted with your manager or co-worker.
  • Name a time you suggested an improvement to a process.
  • Name a time you worked in a team to achieve an outcome.

Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Coventry City Council (Coventry, England, England) in Sep 2016

Interview

The interview consisted of prioritising workload, managing employees, conflict resolution, delegation, accuracy. Overall - Can you manage your workload, manage your employee' workload [delegation], manage incoming workload, can you resolve conflict and complaints, and can you keep a team motivated and morale high - And how would you achieve that.

Interview Questions
  • A complaint has escalated to senior management, how would you deal with this?
Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Interviews