DFID Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

DFID Interview Questions

Interviews at DFID

3.7

Analyst G7 Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at DFID.

Interview

Straightforward application on civil service jobs . I was then invited to an interview where I also needed to do a test and deliver a presentation. I was interviewed by a panel of 3 people.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had to work with other teams to deliver a piece of analysis.   Answer Question

DESA Infrastructure Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Kilbride, Scotland

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DFID (East Kilbride, Scotland) in October 2019.

Interview

Thorough interview process. Started with remote written assessment. Face to face interview started with a 5 minute presentation prepared beforehand. After this was about 5-7 questions assessing competencies. Some questions were far more difficult than in other/regular interviews, best advice is to break down the questions and apply what you already know to them, rather than trying to come up with the "right" answer - guess that's the point of a competency based interview!

Interview Questions

• What advice would you provide for a private company looking to set up an economic development corridor in the horn of Africa? (Or something along those lines)   Answer Question

Head of Programmes Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at DFID (London, England).

Interview

The interview used the Civil service competencies as well as international competencies. You applied online at civil service jobs, then had a first interview with behavioural type questions. This is was then followed by a follow up phone interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you think the difference between leading and managing? Give an example of when you have done both.   Answer Question

Programmer Officer Interview

Interview

The interview was competency based and pretty informal. I was interviewed by just one person. The interview lasted about 40 minutes. I would suggest using DfID’s competency framework to prepare.

Interview Questions

• Usual competency-based questions. Can you give me an example of a time you have solved a problem? Can you Tell me about a time you managed conflicting priorities?   Answer Question

Programmer Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DFID.

Interview

After sending in my application, it took about one month then I received invitation for the interview. The panel was official and friendly, the interview had two sessions, written and orals.

Head of Safeguarding Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at DFID.

Interview

Extensive process of anonymising your cv and writing papers to answer specific competency questions. We were told that the process involves scoring the responses and short listing the candidates for in person interviews.

The process takes about 30 days to complete. If you aren’t short listed, they won’t provide any feedback on where you fell short.

Really makes you question if it’s worth the time to complete this pre-work and if there’s really a fair consideration process. I hunted for an enquiries email asking for feedback since I meet all of the qualifications. They responded that they don’t give feedback unless you’re short listed and that we have to take their word for it that it was a fair short listing process.

Interview Questions

• Write a paper on how you would set up a safeguarding department.   1 Answer

Graduate Talent Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at DFID.

Interview

First steps: answering four key strength questions, followed by online tests. You are immediately informed whether you pass the test threshold... So why not put these before the written assignment? I'm sure many candidates would have invested considerable effort in writing assignments, then doing tests and immediately being told they can't proceed. Inconsiderate of the effort people put into the process to structure the application like this.

I proceeded beyond the tests, and was invited to the final interview / assessment centre. This involved an hour long interview, written assignment and role-play exercise. Not a positive experience, staff seemed uninterested in candidates, and instructed to form no personal connection.

I'm sure the 20 who were offered places were delighted, and the majority of the 5000 who were not came away feeling that this was a poor application procedure.

Entry Talent Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at DFID (London, England) in June 2018.

Interview

First a 5-minute presentation on "why do you want to work for DFID and what qualities will you bring to the department", then a competency based panel interview. After we were given some documents and had to prepare a one-page handover note for a colleague, which was followed by a role-play.

Analyst Interview

Interview

Civil service fast stream via the civil service website.
    Interview in London with two interviewees.
    Initial questions were personal and biometric, later questions were basic microeconomics and macroeconomics problems. Make sure to revise competition principles.

Entry Talent Scheme 2018 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DFID (London, England) in May 2018.

Interview

Lengthy application. Numerical and Verbal Reasoning tests straightforward. On the Situational Judgement test I performed worse, and definitely recommend finding practice tests online or otherwise familiarising yourself with the types of questions and 'most effective' responses.

Panel interview starting with (pre-prepared) presentation introducing yourself which allows you to settle in and shake off some of the nerves. Strengths based interview questions on civil service competencies can be prepared in advance and no surprises there.

However, the later value-based questions I found difficult to respond to. It perhaps would have been helpful to have practiced some answers or thought about how I would describe my code of ethics (something I had never articulated or properly considered) and suppose ideally to have shown how my beliefs align with DFID rationale.

The role play flies by and there is a lot to read. It was a handover email describing the workload for next week and outlining some key problems but also HR issues. Pull out key information from the email early and start thinking about the decisions you will make and how you will justify them. I was a deer in headlights when asked a simple WHY? question.

Good luck to applicants!

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.