DFID Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

DFID Interview Questions

Interviews at DFID

3.7

Analyst Interview

Interview

Civil service fast stream via the civil service website.
    Interview in London with two interviewees.
    Initial questions were personal and biometric, later questions were basic microeconomics and macroeconomics problems. Make sure to revise competition principles.

Administration Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Islāmābād (Bangladesh)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at DFID (Islāmābād (Bangladesh)).

Interview

First day, written test followed by group discussion.
    Second day presentation followed by competency interview.
    They inform you if you have been selected for the process after the first day.
    Interesting aspect of the interview was the group discussion

Interview Questions

• Most interview questions were about competency based and how my past experience was related to the work I'll bring in the company   1 Answer

Graduate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DFID.

Interview

Group exercise where you were asked what the department's strategy should be for the next 2 years.
    This was followed by competency interview focusing on how you prioritised different work and worked collaboratively

Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at DFID (London, England).

Interview

Transfered from another government department, with both a formal interview panel and an informal interview. The formal process was challenging and competitive. The informal aspect was also important - it was clear that the hiring senior civil servant had spoken to colleagues in my home department about me. The post I was going for was 'hard to fill', partly because of location, so that helped.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about DALYs as a technique?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No scope to negotiate as already part of UK civil service moving on level transfer. The package was odd - not good on salary (I actually took a pay cut) but excessively generous on relocation (DFID relocates a lot of people overseas so has a comprehensive package).

Programmer Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pretoria, Gauteng (South Africa)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DFID (Pretoria, Gauteng (South Africa)) in May 2014.

Interview

DFID interviews are based on the competency framework for each job or position. In my interview i was asked questions relating to my past experience, as well as given scenarios or situations in which i had to outline how i would deal with that case studies, using my skills and experience

The interviews usually last between 30 to 45 mins.

Programmer Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DFID.

Interview

After sending in my application, it took about one month then I received invitation for the interview. The panel was official and friendly, the interview had two sessions, written and orals.

Senior Content Producer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DFID in April 2017.

Interview

I was able to call the hiring manager and discuss the role before putting in an application, who was very approachable. Interview was with a panel of 3 & non-competency based

Interview Questions

• Wha do you see as the key objectives of this role over the next 6 months?   Answer Question
    • Tell us what we are doing well with on our social media output and what we could do better   Answer Question
    • Tell us of a digital idea you have come up with?   Answer Question

Graduate Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at DFID.

Interview

There interview process was not too lengthy or drawn out but some irrelevant questions about my private school background were asked during the interview. Otherwise it was a pleasant experience and I'd encourage anyone who is interested to apply.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the most pressing concern you would try and address in a developing country of your choice?   Answer Question

Private Sector Development Advisor Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DFID in September 2009.

Interview

It was about a 5 hour interview. Consisted of a panel of three interviewers although one particular one controlled the interview. Lots of mining of information, not very clear on the success of their work. I got the impression that the interview was really an exercise in data mining. They have interesting projects but its difficult to tell if most were good only on paper.

Interview Questions

• What are the different models of privatization   Answer Question
    • What is the metric used to measure poverty?   2 Answers

Graduate Talent Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at DFID.

Interview

First steps: answering four key strength questions, followed by online tests. You are immediately informed whether you pass the test threshold... So why not put these before the written assignment? I'm sure many candidates would have invested considerable effort in writing assignments, then doing tests and immediately being told they can't proceed. Inconsiderate of the effort people put into the process to structure the application like this.

I proceeded beyond the tests, and was invited to the final interview / assessment centre. This involved an hour long interview, written assignment and role-play exercise. Not a positive experience, staff seemed uninterested in candidates, and instructed to form no personal connection.

I'm sure the 20 who were offered places were delighted, and the majority of the 5000 who were not came away feeling that this was a poor application procedure.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.