Foreign and Commonwealth Office Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Foreign and Commonwealth Office Interview Questions

Interviews at Foreign and Commonwealth Office

3.1

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Interview

The faces of my interviewers looked disapproving at everything I said, although I began the interview confident and excited. I immediately felt extremely nervous and uncomfortable given their reactions to my questions. This was disappointing because I was excited about this opportunity and thought I would be a great fit. Sometimes when I bomb an interview, I reflect on what I could have done better but this time I'm not sure there's much else I could have done to prepare. The Embassy will send you some documents to review prior to the interview to help you prepare how to answer questions and about the culture of the Embassy, but the documents did not at all reflect the types of questions asked.

Interview Questions

• If you were to work on a research project throughout the duration of the internship, what is a question you would try to answer?   1 Answer

Trade and Investment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

Went in for an in person panel interview. I was mailed a series of documents to review prior to the interview. The interview was tailored around hypothetical and situational questions. The panel of interviewers were very personable and easy to talk to.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Interview

I had a phone screen first with a recruiter who asked basic questions about my background and to ask why I was interested in the job. The next step was for a full round interview with a panel of 3 managers.

Interview Questions

• They asked behavioral-based questions, so be prepared with some situation examples.   Answer Question

Trade Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Washington, DC (US)) in April 2019.

Interview

Received a call from a recruiter, following which an interview scheduled. Interview was competency-based and pretty straightforward. Interview seemed to have gone well and was told after the interview that I would be contacted the following week. I wasn’t contacted the following week, which I presumed to mean I won’t be getting an offer and that just happened to be the case when I received an email three weeks after the interview

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply for the job?
      Describe a time when you’re suggestion/advice has led to a positive outcome   Answer Question

Fast Stream Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office in November 2018.

Interview

Applied online via the Fast Stream website and I had to complete a series of online tests and exercises. These tests and exercises included psychometrics as well as an extended reading task, which was especially demanding.

Trade and Investment Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

External candidates come in for one 30-45 minute interview with a panel of 3 people. Asked about background, motivation for pursuing the opportunity and then competency based questions (tell about a time when you challenged your boss, lead a team, solved a problem creatively, etc).

There is no phone screen or second stage interview -- so it may be the case that only interview external candidates to tick the policy boxes when they have already have an internal candidate lined up to fill the role. However, in my experience, the panelists seemed to be considering all candidates equally.

Business Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (San Francisco, CA (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

Pre-screened from Washington DC and kindly provided with an interview crib sheet. Received a friendly welcome and, as indicated, was asked a lengthy series of open-ended questions designed to dig into my background in quite a bit of depth. The panel of 3 seemed much more interested in sizing up my past interpersonal behavioral responses than whether I might be able to do the job advertised effectively. In fact the job itself was almost never discussed. Presumably getting to the interview stage means they are already convinced you can do the job. I suppose behavioral questions are par for the course if you will be representing government and meeting senior politicians/civil servants/diplomats. It took longer than they said to hear back and the message, though perfectly courteous, instructed me not to solicit feedback on the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation from your last job where xyz happened? How did you handle it and why?   1 Answer

Political Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Washington, DC (US)) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview starts off with three people. Each one is a "Head" of a specific department such as Asia, Defense, etc. They will ask questions that range from the classic "tell us about yourself," to how you managed your projects in the past. Be prepared to remember, in detail, what sort of projects you've done and how it relates to this position.

Trade and Investment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Houston, TX (US)) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online. I don't remember how long it took from start to finish, but one i finished the interview I was contacted and given an offer within about a week. The interview itself was not bad. The building was very secure, and had multiple layers of security doors to get into the building. The interview itself was with three women who worked in the UKTI section. It was very informal and quite comfortable. We were in a smaller room with a sofa and comfortable chairs. All of the questions were behavioral questions and questions about my resume and experience. It was a comfortable experience and not intimidating at all. Quite enjoyable. I did not accept the internship because they do not pay their interns.

Interview Questions

• Please tell us about this specific position, and provide details about that position while you were with your last employer.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office in July 2015.

Interview

Sent in resume, received an email within 2 weeks, went into the office and interviewed. It was mostly situational questions. I was interviewed by two people, one who didn't work in the department. Worst part was that they took 3 weeks to get back to me with my rejection.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.