Galliford Try Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 6 May 2018

2.8

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Galliford Try (Glasgow, Scotland).

Interview

Telephone interview, assessment centre and interview.

Telephone interview was easy enough just harp on about H&S as they love it. Was emailed to attend the assessment centre and asked to present a 5 minute presentation on where Galliford try sits within the construction industry and what are the strengths and weaknesses within it.

Took part in a group activity, really easy stuff and then went in for the presentation. Don't waste your time putting effort in because you breeze past it and I felt they were more interested in the interview. Interview consisted of generic competency questions and just felt extremely fake. Never been a fan of them but they must see something in them. Was told I would here back in 10 working days and I was on my bike. Overall friendly staff and aside from one of the interviewers coming across a bit impatient everything went OK.

15 days later I still had no response and emailed asking for my feedback. At this point I had already come to the conclusion that I had not been given the position. 10 minutes later I received a phone call explaining they were very busy (They couldn't be bothered more like) I was told I was unsuccessful although doing very well on the day but due to having no technical site experience they wouldn't be taking the application any further. Prior to hearing this I had read the exact same from another review.

Yes you heard that right. Experience needed for a graduate Engineer position

I found this quite frankly an absolute joke. I was applying for a graduate Engineer position, where exactly do they expect this experience to come from? We go through university and upon leaving are expected to miraculously pull experience out of where? Do not bother wasting your time applying if you have none because I've read on other reviews this was the excuse given to previous applicants. To make matters worse they had my CV prior to even inviting me for the phone interview so they knew this. I feel my time has been wasted when it could have quite easily been avoided had they said that they were looking for someone with experience prior to starting the application process.

Again I really hope graduate engineers are reading this and avoid wasting their time and being left frustrated, the market is hard enough for us and the last thing we need is companies like Galliford Try reviewing our CV and then telling us at the end of the process that they are looking for past experience when they have this in front of them from day 1

Interview Questions

• Give me a time when you have managed a project   Answer Question
    • Give me a time when you have taken initiative   Answer Question
    • Health and Safety is important to us. How can you demonstrate you understand the importance of this...or something along those lines   Answer Question

Graduate Health and Safety Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

Interview

Interview seemed ok but a bit of inconsistency in their feedback. Please note, the interviewers also give a false impression that you're responding to the questions very well without you knowing that it is all false. My advice is for you not to waste your time as they already have a personality profile they are looking for.

Interview Questions

• Give me a scenario where your communication skills let you down   Answer Question

Graduate Site Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Galliford Try (Newcastle upon Tyne, England) in February 2018.

Interview

Online application- CV

Telephone Interview- standard questions, lasted about 20 mins. Just wanted to hear keywords.

Assessment Day (9-12.30pm) which included a presentation and a group exercise.

The presentation lasted 5 mins or so, mine was timed but from speaking to other candidates at the interview some hiring managers did and some didn't which I felt wasn't standardised.

Following on straight from the presentation was the interview, pretty standard questions- competency and scenario-based, again I felt like they wanted to hear keywords!

Use the S.T.A.R method when answering questions.

Every interview had a time allowance of 45 mins to include the presentation as well. The interview itself lasted 35 mins or so, mine was yet again timed and I know others were not...some interviews ran over by 30 mins!

The group exercise was fun, just be yourself and enjoy it. The hiring HR and others involved in this section were lovely. They watch you interacting with the other members and note down what they observed.

Interview Questions

• your opinions on Behavioural Health and Safety and give a time when you used i   Answer Question

Graduate Health, Safety and Sustainability Assessor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Galliford Try (Birmingham, England) in February 2018.

Interview

I applied for the role via their website back in November I think and I was invited to attend a telephone interview in December. It didn’t last long, they just asked 5 questions about why I was interested in the role and a bit about myself. I couldn’t really gage whether I had done ok but they called me the beginning of January inviting me to an assessment day in February.
    I thought the assessment day was good, there was about 12 or 13 of us and there was quite a few people from HR and some senior managers. They were all really friendly and they made us feel relaxed.
    They did say to arrive early for refreshments but there weren’t any. They took us up to a board room and a lady from the training and development team did a 15 minute talk on the company and what they offer, training and benefits etc which was good. We then got split off into groups and we had to do a group exercise to demonstrate team building which I thought was really good fun.
    After that we were brought back upstairs and a lot of candidates were sitting in the boardroom waiting to be interviewed. I was the last person to be interviewed so I was really nervous at that point as I must have been waiting a couple of hours.
    The interview itself was as you would expect. I was interviewed by the H&S manager and a lady from HR. They were really nice and I did a brief presentation which I’m not totally sure how it went but I think I covered the brief. I thought that some of the questions would have been hard to answer if you didn’t have any work experience. Most of the questions were your standard questions about how you work as a team, communication skills, a time when you have had to consider health and safety. They talked about the benefits they offers which were really good I thought and they also have a lot of mental health awareness which I really liked as it’s something I feel employers should be more involved in.
    I have not heard back yet as to whether I have been successful but I’m really hoping I am as the job is perfect and they seem a really good company to work for.

Finance Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Galliford Try (Birmingham, England) in January 2018.

Interview

Online Application
    Telephone Interview
    Online Tests
    Assessment Centre

Assessment Centre
    - group exercise
    - presentation
    - interview

Pretty simple day, however, I found the company to be very unorganised.
    They stated to come early for refreshments - there was not any and they kept us waiting over 20 minutes

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Galliford Try in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online for the graduate civil engineer in GallifordTry. It took about 2 weeks to get invited to next stage phone interview. The interview itself was easy. it lasted about 15 min. the next stage is the assessment center. I did the phone interview in early January and I am waiting for the response.

Interview Questions

• tell me about your education.
      why did you choose to apply for this role?
      what three skills can you bring to us from your previous job?
      what the safety procedures in our industry?   Answer Question

Graduate Quantity Surveyor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hinckley, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Galliford Try (Hinckley, England) in January 2017.

Interview

I made a direct application to Galliford Try via the website. I was then called on the phone and completed a telephone interview successfully. I was invited to an assessment centre in Solihull which I passed successfully. The assessment centre involved a team building exercise and an interview with a commercial lead. It was a good experience, friendly and welcoming.
    I was told I passed every part of the assessment process strongly and impressed.
    I was then told to attend an 'informal' interview at a location in Hinckley where I would be potentially based. A new HR rep took control from this point and communication was poor with her, my interview date was changed last minute and upon arrival I was disappointed with the lack of a welcoming reception, I was told to be relaxed due to the informal nature of the interview but to be honest I felt pressure and far less relaxed in comparison to the interview at the assessment. I wish I would have been told what to expect as I would have prepared better. But being told to relax and feeling as though I just had to turn up and tell them about myself was not helpful. The only reason I am neutral and not disappointed overall is because initially I felt looked after and wanted, 'initially'.

I was told I didn't get the job because I could do with experience and should apply again the following year, when I have experience.
    I applied for a graduate role, with a law background and wanted to change my career path so I took up a masters. No where in the graduate job description did it state experience was necessary. It's almost as though they wanted me to have experience so that they wouldn't have to bother teaching on the job.
    My question is,
    Why did I need experience if the graduate role was 2/3 years?
    Is the experience gained on the grad scheme so poor that applicants should come with experience?

Very disappointed with how it all ended, surely they could have told me I didn't have experience from looking at my CV?!

Interview Questions

• Question at informal interview stage:

What experience do you have?   1 Answer

Receptionist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Galliford Try.

Interview

Informal and yet friendly, asked me about my computer skills and customer care service skills. They told me about their environment, hours and what sort of questions are most popular on the switchboard.

Assistant Design Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Galliford Try (Chelmsford, England) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process was quite straightforward. I applied through a recruiter , had a one on one interview with the guy that would be my line manager and the head of the department. Got a call back the next day with an offer.

Interview Questions

• This was over 1.5 years ago soI don't remember being asked any specific questions. we were just talking - it was almost informal.   Answer Question

Technical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shilton, West Midlands, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Galliford Try (Shilton, West Midlands, England) in June 2015.

Interview

Interview process was 3 stages, a telephone interview (15 mins) followed by a face to face interview at the Galliford Try offices with a recruitment partner (90 minutes). Then a face to face interview with 2 technical senior management from Galliford Try (90 minutes), including a short 20 question technical written test at the end.

All stages were conducted in a relaxed conversational style rather than an interrogation. It took a little longer than expected to get a decision, and I had to chase for feedback, though overall It was a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• - Was asked to talk through roles\responsibilities on my CV.   Answer Question
    • - Asked "If you and another candidate are both equal in terms of technical ability, what other criteria should be used to decide who gets the role?"   Answer Question
    • - (from written test) "What are the 5 Active Directory FSMO roles?"   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.