Government Legal Department Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Government Legal Department

3.4

Grade 7 Lawyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Government Legal Department (London, England).

Interview

Really formulaic, well structured process involving a critical reasoning test, written assessment and then interview. I was interviewed by a Board member and two lawyers and they were all really friendly. The questions that they ask are not trick questions but are designed to show the way in which you work generally. They explain the structure of the interview at the very beginning, which is useful.

Grade 7 Legal Officer/Lawyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Government Legal Department (London, England).

Interview

Long application process including a critical review test. Got called for the interview. Formal environment and the questions were mostly competency based.

Panel consisted of 3 interviewers. They made me feel at ease. Some of the questions covered were about team work, decision making, motivational fit etc.

Legal Trainee Interview

Interview

3 rounds of online testing followed by an assessment centre lasting around 3 hours. Assessment centre consisted of a one hour test and an hour and fifteen minute interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to weigh the pro's and con's of a decision.   Answer Question

Grade 7 Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Government Legal Department (London, England) in January 2019.

Interview

Process was efficient and i felt like they cared about me as a candidate. Application required a personal statement and CV tailored to criteria listed on the job advert. Make sure you read about success profiles as this has replaced 'competencies' which the civil service has used until now.

The interview was a 3 person panel. The woman who chaired it was from HR and very friendly and professional, made me feel at ease. Questions were diverse - some you could prepare for and others designed to test your thinking on the spot. At the end the panel told me about their careers and experiences at GLD which was nice. The interview seemed to go very quickly.

I received an offer the following week.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you really want to work for Government as you may be asked about this   Answer Question

Pupillage Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Government Legal Department (London, England) in April 2018.

Interview

Online tests, including numerical psychometric verbal reasoning and critical thinking as well as situational test. Necessary to use practice tests first so as to be able to answer the questions asked. Worth investing in critical thinking book.

Interview Questions

• Verbal reasoning, critical thinking, numerical   1 Answer

22 Jul 2019 – HR Pay and Policy

Thank you for the time taken to leave a review.

Solicitor Interview

Interview

I applied for a temporary role and therefore the interview process was very informal. I discussed my CV and experience. I was given scenarios and asked what I would do in them. It was not technically challenging, they just wanted to understand your approach and thought process.

Interview Questions

• General chat about CV and experience to date. Given different scenarios and asked how you would respond.   Answer Question

22 Jul 2019 – HR Pay and Policy

Thank you for the time taken to leave a review. Interviews for temporary agency positions do tend to take more of an informal approach.

If you apply for a permanent role, please do look at the job advert as this will set out what to expect throughout the recruitment process.

Legal Officer/Grade 7 Lawyer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Government Legal Department in November 2017.

Interview

Prior to doing the interview you must fill out disclosure and barring forms etc. This was a highly competency based interview - see required competencies on job advert. The interviewers also review the written test that the candidate completes before the day. There is a 3 person panel - lawyer/(s) and an individual from Human Resources.

Interview Questions

Government Legal Department Response

Executive Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Government Legal Department (London, England) in August 2017.

Interview

The initial steps are simple - filling out details of education, previous employment, etc. The interview itself was very much competency-based, and felt rigid and formal. This was compounded by the three-person panel taking turns to ask questions. There were no questions that were not competency-based, only follow-up questions were to clarify previous answers.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel like there is enough time in the day to get what you want done?   1 Answer
    • What tasks do you find are left at the end of your working day?   1 Answer

Executive Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Government Legal Department (London, England) in May 2017.

Interview

The online application process was relatively straight-forward. First, two online tests, then a partial CV and a personal statement, which asked what motivated me towards that particular role and, also, asked for an achievement of which I was proud. I chose an extra-curricular example, as opposed to one from work, and I described it in detail. Make sure you stick to the word limit and thoroughly spell-check and proof-read your statement.

The online tests were trickier, so I recommend practising similar tests online first if you can find some. There was an example test question which preceded the actual test and which was helpful. I thoroughly recommend reading through all the instructions and the information provided very carefully first, before you attempt the test itself as failing it will mean you cannot continue with the application process. The tests comprised a personality type test and thereafter a civil service judgement test. You can't really try to work out what these things want you to say, so you should just go with your gut instinct in a professional setting. Try to consider the impact of your action in a given situation to all concerned (you, the other worker, your manager, the organisation at large, etc) in order to make a good choice.

After about 2 weeks from submitting the initial application I was invited to an interview. There was a panel of 3 staff, one from HR and the other 2 from senior roles within the GLD. They were all very, very nice, welcoming and friendly. They each introduced themselves and gave me a breakdown of what to expect and what they would expect from me, and we got started. The interview was almost entirely competency-based but I was first asked to tell them about myself. I was given descriptions of scenarios or problems and then I was asked to say how I would respond in that situation. About 4 or 5 in total I think, including one which was typed up on a sheet of paper. I had to read that and respond to the problem at hand. It wasn't a hard question, just really what you would do in a pressured, unpleasant situation. All questions revolved around the job description and requirements, and the 4 civil service competencies and the process lasted about 45mins to an hour. I was prompted once, perhaps when I had not correctly understood what the question might have been. The gentleman was really gracious and his manner was relaxing, so I just added to my answer and he nodded in approval which encouraged me. I found that every time I had answered satisfactorily, the member of the panel said "I have nothing further to ask on this point". At the time that was a bit daunting because I was unsure of whether I had done enough or not, but thinking back it must have been a good sign, I had simply been extremely nervous.

Overall, it was a very good experience. I really suggest that you prepare first, because you will find the experience much less daunting. I listed all the Civil Service competencies in a Word document and typed up my scenarios in response to these. Some were from university, most from work, but they can be from any part or time of your life really, which is great. I found that it helps to type them out because you can really focus on the STAR approach then, by identifying the problem, action, and result.

I also had a really pleasant chat with the panel members because I had worked in property and one of them was a landlord, so he was interested in the examples I drew from my experience. We made a little joke about it as well, which was relaxing.

At the end of the interview I was advised that I would have to wait about 2 weeks for a response. 2 weeks to the day I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• Please give us an example of a time when you had to "think on your feet".   1 Answer
    • What do you know about the GLD and what we do here?   Answer Question
    • Why would you like to work for the GLD?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation here.. the job grade and pay are pre-set.

22 Jul 2019 – HR Pay and Policy

Thank you for the time taken to leave a review and hope that you are enjoying working with us.

Trade Lawyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Government Legal Department (London, England) in May 2017.

Interview

there was first a logical test and then I was interviewed via Skype. The interview also consisted of a written exam which I had to take while being supervised by someone from the Business Management Team. Then we discussed the answers to the questions.

Interview Questions

• Why you are interested in this job and how your qualifications meet the requirements in the job advert?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.