Interactive Brokers Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interactive Brokers Interview Questions

Interviews at Interactive Brokers

Client Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwich, CT (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers (Greenwich, CT (US)) in April 2020.

Interview

I applied online got a call the same week. Spoke later to 4 gentleman who clearly were not interested in speaking. Very male driven place. The questions were basic but sometimes they would ask very personal information which clearly has nothing to do with the job. Red Flag there. Then they ask you to take this test which has nothing to do with the job. Not sure why the interview process is so outdated.

Back-end Applications Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers in April 2020.

Interview

The in-house recruiter reached out to me via Vettery, and I ended up having a great conversation over the phone. He went over job details and told me about Interactive Brokers team and the company, we also talked about other industry related topics.

The next step was an online Codility test, and then I moved on to the next round. Since this was during the Covid-19 pandemic, the next round of the interview was coordinated through GoToMeeting. The interview was with two of the hiring managers. The first asked me a lot of in depth Java questions and few other technical questions. The 2nd manager was interested in my general industry knowledge and interests. He ask many technical questions, but not all related to software development. He was evaluating how much I paid attention to the developing technologies, how they are utilised in software development or applied in everyday life.

Overall I had a very positive experience and learned a few new things along the way. Just from the conversations alone I can see that there are many smart and talented engineers at IB.

Interview Questions

• Online Codility test with one Java and SQL task.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers in March 2020.

Interview

As described by many others, the firm has a not very good interview process and seems like they don't value their candidates time. It seems to me everyone who applies gets a test and if you pass the test, the recruiter actually takes a look at your resume, rather than the other way around.

Interview Questions

• I had a bunch of multiple choice questions which were of average difficulty. Preparation materials: https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/c-plus-plus/.   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Interview

I was asked to answer a sheet of 8 fairly difficult math questions. Afterwards I talked to one of the employees for about 2 hours about more general subjects before being given lunch. After lunch I took an hour long technical interview with two other employees.

Interview Questions

• Can a stack of pennies of a certain height fit in a 3 cubic foot shoe box.   1 Answer

Application Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers in February 2020.

Interview

The interview process started with an initial coding round, where the questions were quite simple.
    I got selected for a phone round and the interviewer was quite knowledgeable and I enjoyed talking to him. He gave me very good insights about how things that we actually take for granted in Data Structures, are not necessarily true. For example, the cache hit performance for linked list is bad compared to that of arrays, due to spatial locality and might hit our performance. I learned so much by the interview and also added a few of my insights about traditional approaches being unreliable, which we both agreed on and I was selected for the next round which was again a phone interview.
    The phone interview started on time and naturally, it was scheduled for office time we both agreed on at 1 pm which is my lunchtime. Now I was in the parking lot and the interviewer asked me to write a code for a linked list, which I did. Obviously, I would dictate the code. So now the interviewer actually changed the code for the simple class node which will have a value and pointer to the next node. Because my guess is the question which he wanted to ask was depending on the exact structure of the node class to be implemented in a certain way. And the question was given a node, print in a reverse way. So, if you are given access to one node in the middle of the linked list, you print the values of the singly linked list from the end to the middle. Now the interviewer was not prepared because the example he was trying to give was something like suppose node1 which has value 6 is connected to node with value 14 which is connected to 8, and I stopped him there because I was in a parking lot without any paper and pen. I cannot give the interview in the office, because I can get into trouble for doing that. I, therefore, told him, do these values really matter to him? I then said; let us take simple values of 10,20,30,40 and 50 which he kind of not understood because then he would have to give extra thought and not look an example which he would have prepared. I gave him a solution which he did not like because recursion also uses extra space and then I told him that I do not know the way to solve this question without using extra space.
    Okay, so far it was good but then he asked me to return a unique sequence from a function and the example he gave me was like if you are given a string "abbcdef", you should return
    "bb", Obviously, I asked him again that I did not understand the question and what he meant by unique? So he gave me another example, which was that If you are given "abcdeffff", you should return "ffff". At this point, I understood what he meant to return from a function but I asked him again just to be sure what he meant by unique in this case and he said "ffff" is unique. I asked him whether he meant the longest common substring and he said yes. I was actually relieved but again I think I should have never corrected him.
    Now the final question he asked, whether I knew design patterns or not? I said I only know one, i.e, Singleton which I have used here at work. And then he started asking me questions about how did you implement this and what's the need. I made a mistake when I giggled a little bit when he told me told to include CPP file into one another, I told him that you do not do that in c++. He was a java developer.

I feel that you should always try to be a good software developer and always keep on learning. I feel at the end that he wanted a java developer and I was a software developer!

Engineer Interview

Interview

Technical assessment, behavioral assessment where you're asked to pick what you think of yourself and what others expect of you, followed by a bunch of phone interviews. It took a long time for the entire process

Client Service Representative Interview

Interview

Fairly Simple, received a phone call, online assessment followed by and in person interview. There were 3 individuals who looked like they did not want to be there. Math Test was given, followed by technical questions, and a follow up.

Product Owner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwich, CT (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers (Greenwich, CT (US)) in October 2019.

Interview

First, there was the online Predictive Index (personality type) test. You can google this and try it for free.

Then, there was a written product manager test. Simple business analysis type questions. Watch the time – it goes quickly.

Then, there was the phone interview. This was a pretty standard phone interview.

Then, there was the onsite interview. They told me to be prepared to be there all day. HR told me there would be 2 tests – a math test, and another product manager test, then I’d be meeting some people. I asked for an agenda/ schedule and names of people I’d be meeting. The HR person responded, “I am not at liberty to disclose.” This seemed kind of odd.

On the day of the interview, I first met the receptionist, who took my lunch order. Then, someone came down to bring me to an office where I’d be spending my day. He was kind enough to show me where the bathrooms are and where I could get some water. It was not even the hiring manager who I already had the phone interview with. It would have been nice if he the hiring manager at least greeted me and introduced himself. Instead, this other person just sat me down and gave me a ridiculous word-problem math test. High-school math. The kind I hadn’t done since, well, high school. The hour was up, and he collected my test. I waited for about 10-15 minutes.

Then, the hiring manager came. We chatted for about a minute, when he handed me another test. Some screen shots from the system, and questions about each screen shot. The hour was up, and he collected my test. We chatted about my test answers over lunch in the pantry. He didn’t provide details about the job, nor was there much of a chance to ask. It was mostly about the test.

I then met with another person. He was quite personable and we had a good dialogue.

The next person I was supposed to meet was busy, so they gave me another test. I guess this was to keep me busy. After about half an hour, I met with the dev manager. The entire time, he was typing on his laptop. I’m assuming he was typing my answers. He asked me a few product questions, and then asked me another question. He stopped typing and said that my answer did not align with the predictive index test. Then, he walked me back to the office.

The hiring manager came back to me, and said “we’re done for the day. HR will be in touch. I’ll show you to the elevator.” He didn’t even thank me for wasting my f-ing time.
    The entire process was distant and "cold." Perhaps they’re looking to hire robots. There was very little activity in the office. The only time I saw people was when lunch was delivered. They came in like buzzards, grabbed their lunches and flew back to their cubicles.

Interview Questions

• 1) 1. A brick weighs a pound plus 1/2 a brick. How much does a brick weigh?   2 Answers
    • 2) Could a stack of pennies as high as the C.N. Tower fit into a 2x2x2 foot box? (A penny has a radius of 3/8 inch, and the C.N. Tower is 1900 feet high)   Answer Question
    • 3) When I am as old as my father is now, I will be five times as old as my son is now. By then my son will be eight years older than I am now. The combined ages of my father and me are 100 years. How old is my son?   1 Answer
    • Citizens of Canada pay as much income tax (percentage‐wise) as they make dollars per week. What is the optimal salary in Canada?   Answer Question
    • 5) A contractor estimated that one of his two bricklayers would take 9 hours to build a certain wall and the other 10 hours. However, he knew from experience that when they worked together, 10 fewer bricks got laid per hour. Since he was in a hurry, he put both men on the job and found it took exactly 5 hours to build the wall. How many bricks did
      it contain?   Answer Question
    • 6) The numbers one through seven are mixed up and then drawn from a hat without replacement. What is the probability that all of the odd numbers will be drawn first?   Answer Question
    • 7) A spider needs to eat three flies a day. Until he fills his quota, he has an even chance of catching any fly that attempts to pass his web. What the spider’s chances of survival given that 5 flies have flown by today and no more will?   Answer Question
    • 8) Smith's chance of hitting his target on a given shot is twice that of his fellow prison guard, Jones. One dark night they each had time to fire one shot at an escaping prisoner. Given that the prisoner had an even chance of avoiding injury, what kind of a marksman was Jones?   Answer Question

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greenwich, CT (US)

Application

Interview

First received a personality test and online assessment. After that a phone call was scheduled with the hiring manager. The phone call consisted of questions regarding Binary Trees and Binary Search Trees. You will also be asked to rate your own skill level and give reasons as to why you rate yourself as such.

The final step was the onsite interview. Lunch was provided. You are first expected to do a math test, then you meet with other senior engineers. Questions involved data structures, math (algebra and probability), concurrency etc. The final step is meeting with the CEO.

Immediately after the interview, HR scheduled a phone call for the next day regarding the interview experience. The week after I received an offer.

Overall a good experience. HR was very responsive, and the time from the onsite to offer was very prompt.

Compliance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Brokers (Chicago, IL (US)) in October 2019.

Interview

The process starts with taking a predictive index test which is design to assess a person's behavioral qualities. The second step is a face to face interview which consists of taking a math test without the use of a calculator and speaking with a hiring manager for about 30 mins.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me what do you know about us?
      Tell me about yourself?
      What are your main strengths and weaknesses?
      Also, regular questions about previous work experience and expectations.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.