Liquid Capital Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Liquid Capital Interview Questions

Interviews at Liquid Capital

3.4

Trader Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Liquid Capital (Chicago, IL (US)) in March 2011.

Interview

Had a quick phone call to schedule an in-person interview. They asked me about my background then a series of math questions. Brought in for a second interview where there were 4 different groups that asked me questions. Each group had different math questions as well as asked me some personal questions.

Interview Questions

• How many square miles are in the state of New Mexico   1 Answer

Trainee Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New London, CT (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Liquid Capital (New London, CT (US)) in March 2009.

Interview

2 phone interviews, 1 group interview, 3 online test, 1 assessment day

Graduate Quantitative Trader Interview

Interview

Pretty disappointed in the interview process. The 3 hour phone interview was conducted with a quantitative trader. Problems weren't given in a clear manner and the interview questions were not well structured at all. The data exercise was not well explained and it seemed like the person interviewing did not want to be there. It was a really unpleasant experience.

Junior Quantitative Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Liquid Capital (Sydney (Australia)).

Interview

First stage was a two day take-home test requiring basic python coding knowledge. Successful applicants progress to a 3 hour telephone interview with a current quant trader. This focused on typical probability puzzles and some more in-depth options trivia, before moving on to a data exercise and python coding challenge.

Interview Questions

• What option may be bought/sold to best hedge a call option bought at strike 100?   1 Answer

Junior Hardware Scripting Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Liquid Capital (London, England) in January 2019.

Interview

I would like to give credit to the interviewers for being prompt and beginning the telephone interview at the agreed time, and for explaining the role and responsibilities in detail. Some very relevant and interesting questions regarding hardware and networking were asked.

The telephone interview was conducted by two members of the hardware engineering team simultaneously. After a brief knowledge test regarding Liquid Capital and their operations, the interviewer asked what sort of salary I was expecting. This is an unprofessional and irrelevant question to ask a candidate this early on in any interview process.

One of the two interviewers used a swear word to describe certain traders in the industry. It seems that the same interviewer has a complex regarding the relationships between traders within the firm and those working within hardware/software, noting that the traders tend to "shout a lot, sometimes at [the hardware team], but usually just shout to themselves.” This has reduced my confidence in Liquid Capital, as interview experiences at other HFT firms have been highly professional and it was apparent that employees from all departments got on well with each other- an attribute which is important to the success of HFT firms as well as all other businesses.

Unlike telephone interviews at other HFT firms, there wasn't really an open opportunity to talk about self-experience. Instead, the interview consisted of quick-fire questions based around Python. This doesn't enable candidates to highlight their own skills and experiences, but instead can potentially make them appear unfit for the job if the interviewers fixed questions are answered incorrectly.

Maybe this role should have been listed as a "Software" role, not as a "Junior Hardware Scripting Engineer"? Some may agree, that just because a Hardware role has "Strong Python skills" as one bullet point in the skills requirement section, it shouldn't mean that the majority of the interview should be about Python.

It is apparent that these employees may be new to interviewing potential candidates, which would explain the poor and unprofessional interview structure.

The apparent conflicts suggested by the interviewer between the traders and coders/quants is very concerning.

You may miss some fantastic candidates in the future if you continue with this style of interview.

Portfolio Manager Interview

Interview

Interviewed for medium to long term trading position after receiving confirmation they could accommodate such strategies and that they could seed funds - as they are a prop / hft shop I had questioned my getting involved with them. After 3 months with wasted journeys and missed calls I was eventually informed they could not accommodate long term holding period strategies within their risk framework and that they therefore aren't seeding such strategies - in direct contradiction with their original statement before I agreed to talk with them. Bait and switch - picking over the job market for free strategy information I think. Standards of professionalism were not always of a good standard during the process and their honesty seems dubious. Typical experience I would expect of a trading arcade / market maker falling on tough times.

Interview Questions

• How would you adapt your strategy to act like a high frequency prop strategy within our risk management framework?   1 Answer

Liquid Capital Response

3 Apr 2018 – COO

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on glass door. We are always looking for feedback to assist in creating better processes and environment for our hires and future hires.

Since you have posted I thought I would reach out as it seems that the experience that you have had doesn’t match with the standards we endeavour to adhere to at Liquid.

After looking into your situation, I want to provide some context and also offer any information for future candidates that may come across this platform.

We are most definitely hiring portfolio managers who hold long term positions. This is a substantial amount of our business and very excitingly we have a few new strategies starting in the next month.

I want to assure you that we do not look to change long term strategies into high frequency strategies, but look at them on a very objective basis, weighing the risk vs reward profile that fits within Liquid's parameters.

However, with any strategy evaluation there is not always a perfect fit and with any misalignment from our over arching objectives we proceed with caution or do not move forward. In saying this, this outcome should not coincide with your experience but if this is the case I would definitely like to hear on how you think we could improve the hiring process from your perspective.

Sadly in this case the strategy was not for us. If you do wish to receive further feedback specifically in regards to your strategy please feel free to reach out to us

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Liquid Capital (London, England) in November 2017.

Interview

My first interview was conducted by two senior members of the company, and was relatively straightforward.

Next I was asked to do a research-based test at home, which I took three days to complete.

My second interview was conducted by a Machine Learning Researcher in High-Frequency Trading, who was clearly very bright, but also very modest. Somewhat disappointingly, the research I'd done wasn't really discussed, except the expected conclusion that clocks may not be perfectly synchronised. I was asked about my favoured machine learning algorithm, and also asked to explain linear regression. These were reasonable questions, but embarrassingly my schoolboy linear regression was rusty.

The whole process cost me five days, yet after all this, I never heard back from either the recruiter or the company.

Trainee Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Liquid Capital (London, England) in August 2015.

Interview

1st round interview was a role playing game in which you have to trade against the others on the final price of the stock (final price that reflected the average between all the prices on the card each one had and all the prices written on the board). it was basically a bid ask game in which you have to benefit from the spread

C++ Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Liquid Capital.

Interview

They were hiring a C++ programmer to join their team and my CV was put forward by a recruitment consultant. There was no job specification as such, which having seen this a couple of times now, I have to say I don't consider an enormously good sign. First, why can't the managers put down on paper what they're looking for? Second, as a candidate who hasn't seen a spec it puts you at a disadvantage, as you don't know what level of experience they're looking for, and which skills they consider most important for the role. In any case, I have a lot of experience in their business, and they asked me to come in for an hour to discuss my CV with two senior managers. I thought the interview went well but didn't get called back for a second round, which really surprised me. My working assumption is that they were looking for a more junior person who they could train up, but I'm not 100% sure. If they were looking at a more junior level and there had been a proper spec to make that clear I would have emphasised willingness to learn and interest in the new technology, maybe even willingness to take a pay-cut from my previous job. As it is, I fell at the first hurdle.

Interview Questions

• If you had 20 million to invest in a new business area, how would you go about getting it up and running?   1 Answer

Trader Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Liquid Capital (Sydney (Australia)) in January 2012.

Interview

Interview, mathematical aptitude test then extensive training program in which you are tested and eliminated. Once the program is finished then the remaining trainees are offered a job as a trainee trader.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.