MDRC Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

MDRC Interview Questions

Interviews at MDRC

2.8

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MDRC in April 2020.

Interview

The interview process took a very long time, although it was understandably delayed by COVID-19. I was interviewed by an HR person first, weeks later I was interviewed by two associates, weeks later I was interviewed by a research assistant, another associate, and was given a quiz/test scenario by an HR person. After months of interviews, I never heard back, which I thought was a bit unprofessional amidst the uncertainty of the current times.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience with Field Work? What was your research experience? Why MDRC?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MDRC in March 2020.

Interview

It was a multi-step process that took almost 2 months. I had an initial interview over the phone with an assistant who said I would receive a follow-up phone interview confirmation in two weeks. After two weeks with no response, I emailed my contact regarding the interview. My contact said she forgot to follow up with my interview and forward it to her supervisor. From then it took another week and a half to schedule the next interview with the supervisor. In my opinion, I found the organization very rigid and bureaucratic. Two weeks later, I received an email saying I did not meet the requirements for the next stage of the process. Despite my experience, I do believe they do good work for the community!

Interview Questions

• Something along the lines of, "What is one area you would like to improve on?"   Answer Question

Technical Research Assistant Interview

Interview

I applied online and was contacted within a month. I first conducted a basic phone screen interview, and then they paid for me to come to New York to interview in person. The in-person interview process was a couple of hours. Despite the fact that they paid for me to travel for the interview out of the four interview panels only 2 were conducted in person, the other two were over skype which was slightly uncomfortable.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

The interviewer was very nice and gave a thorough explanation of what the position does. I applied for the Research Assistant positions, as well as a technical position. Although I articulated that I was more interested in the RA position, it seemed that the interviewer was pushing for the latter, which I found quite strange.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MDRC (New York, NY (US)) in May 2019.

Interview

Got an email out of the blue months after I applied. Had a video chat with an HR person who was just reading questions off a paper, clearly didn't care about what i was saying aside from taking notes. They never got back to me even though he said they would regardless. All around a negative interview experience that certainly does not make me sad to not be working there!

Technical Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MDRC in September 2018.

Interview

Applied online and was selected for a phone screening interview after a couple of weeks. The phone interview lasted 45 minutes and was with an HR rep. The HR rep was very timely and polite.

Interview Questions

• The questions were straight forward. Went through the resume. Ask about the projects I've worked on. Asked about my skill levels on various software.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MDRC (San Francisco, CA (US)) in August 2018.

Interview

First, you get contacted through email to set up a phone interview. The interview was conducted 1 business day after the initial contact. Afterward, if deemed fit, they will contact you for an in-person interview. There is about a two-week wait before the one-on-one interview.

Library Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at MDRC (New York, NY (US)) in July 2018.

Interview

I applied to MDRC in March, got a call in June for a Skype interview, had an in person interview in early July, and was hired in late July. I really wasn't expecting to hear back from MDRC since I got a call months after my initial application so it was a pleasant surprise. The interview process was pretty straight forward, two people from HR via skype, then in person I interviewed with another HR staff member along with my current supervisor and predecessor. I will say MDRC is diligent about checking 3 references prior to offering a job so make sure your contacts are in order...this delayed my offer by a few weeks.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my prior library experience and how it could be applied to this particular unique library in a government nonprofit research corporation. I wasn't asked any annoying or awkward questions like, "What is your biggest weakness?" which was nice. I felt it was one of my better interview processes where I had the freedom to discuss my strengths and background.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronxville, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MDRC (Bronxville, NY (US)).

Interview

The position was recommended to me by a current employee. I submitted my application mid-April and didn't hear back from them for a month. When I did hear back, I was invited to have a phone interview. The phone interview I had was with another research assistant and she seemed totally apathetic, and even admitted she hadn't read the interview questions before she called me. She was late to call me and then the interview ran long. She said I would hear back in 2 weeks to see if I had moved onto the next round or not. I still haven't heard from them.

Interview Questions

• How has your experience prepared you to interact with people of different backgrounds?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MDRC (New York, NY (US)) in May 2018.

Interview

Applied online to two positions (one with Center for Applied Behavioral Science [CABS] & the other for a project with the Center for Data Insights). One day after I submitted the application, a research assistant at CABS scheduled a brief phone interview with me for later in that week, which wasn't too difficult. She asked me about my research experience, my understanding of behavioral economics, if I ever managed up, and why I would want to work at MDRC. We had some time at the end for me to ask questions and she was very helpful; I got an idea of what it was like for her to work at MDRC. A few days later, CABS invited me for an in-person interview in NY (I spoke with an HR rep at this point). We arranged for me to fly from CA to NYC (they paid for flight & one night in a hotel) at my earliest convenience (about 1.5 weeks after my phone interview; I was graduating and had finals/ceremonies at the time). A few days later the HR person called me and said that the second team (CDI) was also interested & asked if I would be willing to do back-to-back interviews (I said yes). For my in-person interview I had about an hour with an HR rep who explained benefits, etc. to me. Then I had an hour with CDI (with a resource manager & an analyst) and another hour with CABS (with a research assistant, an analyst, and an associate). Everyone was really friendly & welcoming and gave me time to ask questions. I was a little sick and was very tired as a result but I had a surprising amount of fun speaking to them and learning about their projects. They had be do a simple error-checking exercise and asked me about my organizational skills, my research, my interests, what computer software I'd used, etc. I thought that would be the last round but a few days later the HR rep called me again and said CABS wouldn't be going through with my app but CDI wanted a second in-person interview...so we arranged for me to fly out again (about 2 weeks later; they paid for the flight and a night in a hotel again). For the second interview I spoke with a fellow & an associate for about an hour each and again was surprised by how kind they were. I again had a lot of fun learning from them during the interview. They asked again about my interests & my research but it seemed more like they were giving me an overview of the projects I'd be working on. About a week later an HR rep called me with the offer. I negotiated my salary up a tiny bit on principle (I'm female & want to start practicing that earlier rather than later in my career) and also was able to have them give me some relocation funds. Everything went quite smoothly, even though it take a while. They were quite fast at responding to me --- most of the delay was due to my schedule & having to wait a few weeks between each interview. I've been working here for over 2 months and have been extremely happy with the company.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of an instance where you "managed up"?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.