MDRC Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 21 Jun 2019

3.7
MDRC CEO Virginia Knox
Virginia Knox
Pros
  • "Great work-life balance (for non-exempt staff at least)(in 8 reviews)

• "Very smart people who are thoughtful and have nuanced understanding of the systems we're operating within(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance could be better; work pace not steady - periods of high and low intensity(in 4 reviews)

• "A little top-heavy (lots of senior people, not so many junior staff)(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Mission and a very collaborative environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at MDRC full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working at MDRC for a little while now and it's been a positive experience thus far. The organization has a great mission and my colleagues are all passionate about the work they do. They've been intentional about having an inclusive environment set in place and strive to strengthen it by providing staff training and communications around topics of diversity, equity, and inclusion. There's also been a... push for more consistent feedback to both staff and management across the organization aside from the norm of annual performance reviews.

Cons

Being too collaborative has also lead to any decision that needs to be made, on the slow side, as often times there may be too many cooks in the kitchen.

Advice to Management

-Continue to think about ways to improve upon internal communications in innovative ways -Continue to encourage staff involved in the hiring process' to cast a wide net, check potential unconscious bias' and pursue candidates that represent the populations that we serve. It's a great way to give back to those communities! -Do pulse checks from staff via employee surveys to check on engagement and morale

MDRC2019-06-21
  2. "Experiences Vary Widely"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at MDRC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

co-workers are amazing people mentoring program diverse work opportunities for growth encouraged

Cons

all pros are subject to variety based on your managers/supervisors promotion happens slowly work can be siloed if management does not encourage exploring

Advice to Management

Let entry-level employees explore interests.

MDRC2019-04-16
  3. "Revolving Door – People don’t stay, low ball you"

Current Employee - Researcher in New York, NY

I have been working at MDRC full-time for more than a year

Pros

People come to when when they want to , take off when they want to , even take unpaid days off. Low paying job, they try to low ball you and try to get you at the lower rate and when it come to raises, they give their top boss the money and feed you table scraps.

Cons

No growth, don't reach team members equally - favoritism big time.

Advice to Management

everybody should get pay/ worth for their years of experiences . more experiences more pay.

MDRC2019-03-15

"Important and interesting place to work, but bureaucratic"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at MDRC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart and friendly colleagues The research is rigorous and demanding - challenges that can prompt professional growth

Cons

The organization is slow to change and some units/staff are hierarchical The bar to getting promoted from Analyst to Associate is high

Advice to Management

Allow junior staff to make more substantive contributions Be open to change

MDRC2019-01-30

"Research Assistant (generalist)"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at MDRC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are great. Co-workers are even better. Can't believe how great my boss is & how welcoming my team-members are. Fortunate to have found a place where I get to work on something I feel passionate about while working in such a great environment.

Cons

Depending on who you work with, somewhat hierarchical. I don't experience that myself but have witnessed it with other teams & have heard from other people that my boss is the best about that kind of issue.

MDRC2018-10-09
  6. "Library Assistant"

I have been working at MDRC full-time

Pros

MDRC is a great organization dedicated to evidence based research to help the social policy populations they work with. The company just moved to a great new office with a view. They have a congenial work environment with friendly, dedicated staff that support each other.

Cons

The new office location is in an expensive area and there are less cheap food options around.

MDRC2018-10-04

"Technical Analyst II"

I have been working at MDRC full-time

Pros

Great work environment and interesting work and opportunity to learn many skills.

Cons

The salaries are low because it is a nonprofit.

MDRC2018-10-02

"Research Assistant"

I worked at MDRC full-time

Pros

Projects are run by interdisciplinary teams who are committed to the work at hand and incredibly smart. I was able to develop a whole suite of transferable skills while building close relationships with supervisors and project directors. The quality and feel of the job will be project dependent: some are fascinating, cutting-edge projects, while others are more traditional (reform tweaks) that might not be so... interesting.

Cons

It has an amazing reputation, but don't expect to get much outward facing credit for the work as an entry-level staff member. You'll be internally valued. They are sought out because they conduct "objective" research grounded in sound methodology and aimed at generalizable result. If you are more advocacy minded, this might not be the best fit.

MDRC2018-08-31
  9. "Great place to work"

I worked at MDRC part-time

Pros

Super smart staff, lovely people, friendly, Democratic, great mission

Cons

Coddle their junior staff too much

MDRC2018-09-15
  10. "Good for 2 years as a starting point, unless you have a PhD. Otherwise, more or less, you will be stuck in a career rut"

I worked at MDRC

Pros

Many smart people. Good training in SAS programming.

Cons

Elitist, stressful work environment that is also ridden with drama. Poor work-life balance. Horrible pay, long hours (constantly working on 3-5 different projects). Non-Associates (non PhD's)are treated poorly, although favoritism prevails for certain employees. Horrible promotion and learning opportunities (after initial training). At least a third of the work week is spent in meetings, where people talk in... circles about the same.

Advice to Management

Complete overhaul of management strategy. Provide actual training in management to managers, as company is mismanaged from top to bottom. Having a master's or a PhD does not a manager make. Employees have to report on a weekly basis to 5 people, in the least, about their weekly tasks/progress.

MDRC2018-09-23