McMillan Williams Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

McMillan Williams Interview Questions

Updated 17 Jun 2018

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ealing, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McMillan Williams (Ealing, England) in September 2017.

Interview

interviewed with the top partner at the Ealing branch. Was told this would be a paralegal role with a guaranteed training contract after one year. Little was I told that the salary is actually £16,500 with 12 hour work days, 7am to 7pm. Even though the partner himself does not come in at those times you would still be expected to show up that early with barely any real work to do.

The interview lasted 10 minutes and while the partner had no idea what was on my CV or that I'd even passed my LPC he ranted about his successes and how it takes 12 hour days to succeed as a lawyer, something apparently he did to eventually become partner. While this might all be true I highly doubt any paralegal with rent and other expenses to pay such as travel to Zone 3 would ever be able to survive on such an income, let alone have a life.

The partner actually expects a sales pitch as to why you deserve to be in that role...not a shocker that they're still recruiting for this position almost a month after my interview took place. So many agencies are trying to find a candidate but when faced with the reality of this role, no one in their right mind would take it, especially under an arrogant partner who is seriously underpaying for a highly demanding paralegal job.

Anonymous Employee in Old Coulsdon, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McMillan Williams (Old Coulsdon, England) in April 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed at their Old Coulsdon offices in the boardroom. i was interviewed by a panel and asked a lot of questions which didnt seem to relate to my skills and some of which were very strange indeed. It seemed like psychobabble and many "buzzwords" like "reaching out" and "flying a kite" were used.

Interview Questions

• what sort of dinosaur would you like to be?   1 Answer

Conveyancing Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ealing, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McMillan Williams (Ealing, England) in September 2017.

Interview

I was inviting to interview through a recruiter who had put me forward for the role. I attended the Ealing office, where I was seated in an empty room and waited for about ten minutes for the interviewer. When the interviewer entered, he seemed disinterested and impersonal, and when he found out that I had commuted in from North of London seemed to shut off completely, as he noted "Paralegals are expected to start at 7." From my location, it would be impossible to reach the office by 7. Following this, I was asked two generic interview questions, and then asked if I had any questions, before I was shown out.

Anonymous Employee in Carshalton, England

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at McMillan Williams (Carshalton, England) in February 2018.

Interview

I found my interview very professional. I was met by Danny on arrival at the Carshalton office. I would describe Danny as a very professional and pleasant individual who put me at ease within minutes. I was then interviewed by both Danny and Lauren. Both Danny and Lauren were courteous, friendly and extremely professional in there approach to the interview questions. The interview itself was a very pleasant and friendly atmosphere. would have no hesitation in recommending the firm.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about my work experience at the firm, which I completed the previously.   1 Answer

Paralegal Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McMillan Williams.

Interview

It was a three stage interview process. The first two were with the partner, went through my cv (education & experience) and my future goals. The final interview was with the Graduate Learning and Development Manager. This interview was really in depth. We went through previous experience and a series of competency questions. The interview was well structured and thought out. The interviewer made me feel comfortable and was proactively listening to the answers I was giving.

Interview Questions

• How would you utilise your commercial awareness to benefit the department/firm?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McMillan Williams (Guildford, England) in October 2017.

Interview

The face to face interview was quite comfortable actually. I was interviewed by Catherine, Danny, Sharon and Katie.
    They were really great. They showed an interest in wanting to actually get to know me and to see if we were aligned in our visions and values. They all instantly put me at ease because I was very nervous prior to the interview. I felt that I could be myself and that no answer was right or wrong it was an insight into who I was.

Interview Questions

• What would I do in the situation where I had sent something by mistake to another client?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Worthing, South East England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McMillan Williams (Worthing, South East England, England) in June 2018.

Interview

It was a two stage interview. Firstly, I applied online with my covering letter and CV to Danny Cash, the Graduate Learning and Development Manager. He offered me a telephone interview which took place a few days later. The interview was very in depth and there was a series of competency questions, a review of my work experience and also questions which related to the workings of a business and also why I wanted a career within the legal field. The interview was very well structured and once that was done, Danny called me back about 1 hour later to give me feedback on what I did well throughout the interview process and what I could have improved on. This was really important to me as a lot of firms do not review the interview which is a great way to improve on our skills. He then offered me a 2nd interview at the McMillan Williams firm in Worthing with Michelle. I attended the interview with Michelle who talked me through what the company expectations are and what the company would provide me with to enable me to progress in my career to become a solicitor and what is expected of me. This was well through out and I felt well within my comfort zone and able to express my questions openly. By the end of that day, I was offered the paralegal position.

Overall, this was a very quick process (within a few days) and the communication level was great!

Paralegal Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at McMillan Williams.

Interview

I applied online via CV and a cover letter. I was invited to a face to face interview with a Partner and Solicitor from the department I would be joining. Two days later I was invited to a telephone interview with the Graduate Learning Development Manager, Danny Cash. Throughout the whole process, I was asked a wide-range of legal and commercial questions. I was also probed around my previous work experience. I was given the opportunity at all stages to ask questions without hesitation.

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McMillan Williams (London, England) in May 2018.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted the following week to arrange a telephone interview with Danny Cash, the Graduate Learning and Development Manager. An outline of what to prepare for was given before the telephone interview which makes the experience less daunting. The interviews were well structured, a full description of the vacancy was given as well as the opportunity to ask more questions about the role. The team are friendly which calms your nerves throughout the interview process, making it easier to answer questions honestly and to be yourself. Overall the process was very smooth as there was plenty of information given from the offset about the role, as well as quick responses from the interviewers.

Assistant Solicitor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reigate, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McMillan Williams (Reigate, England) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview consisted on questions about my career history, further questions were asked about areas of law which I did not feel comfortable with/like and in addition a legal competency question was asked.

Interview Questions

• about my career history and legal questions relevant to the role.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.