Metroland Media Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Metroland Media Group Interview Questions

Interviews at Metroland Media Group

2.8

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Metroland Media Group.

Interview

No interview was required, I simply emailed the manager asking for a position as a Newspaper Deliverer and I got it. It was very quick, and he was very nice.

Graphic Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Metroland Media Group in June 2019.

Interview

I applied on June 2019 and started working in July 2019

The interview process was a 2 step process. First I received a phone call and had a 15-20 minute phone interview that consisted of screening questions to learn more about me and how I fit with the company. Then I was asked to come to their office for a second interview that was broken down into two parts. Portfolio review/Q&A and an 'assessment test'.

The portfolio review was basically me showing my portfolio to the regional manager and another manager. One of the managers looked bored out of his mind and I did not appreciate his vibe. Why are you there if you don't want to be?! I was also asked a few questions during the portfolio review and was able to ask questions as well.

The 'assessment test' was a stupid assignment I had to complete to 'prove my skills'. My portfolio and resume speak for themselves. Why should I waste my time creating free content for you when I already have a website that showcases my talent? Anyway, they asked me to design an article spread in InDesign using as many pages as I wanted, while using the photos and text provided. I think I had about 45 minutes to an hour to complete the test.

Overall, the interview was pretty average. I received a job offer a few weeks later via email and I accepted it. I disagree with companies asking for assessment tests from graphic designers, because your portfolio and resume already show your skills. I advise fellow graphic designers to be cautious of companies that try to get you do free work during the interviews, because chances are they are not stable or trustworthy companies. I didn't stay long with this company for those exact reasons.

Interview Questions

• Generic questions like:

- Can you tell me about yourself?
      - Can you explain your role at previous jobs?
      - What was your favourite subject in school and why? (really stupid question)
      - What do you think are the key components to a strong management team? (didn't even follow my advice, management sucked)   1 Answer

Press Helper Interview

Anonymous Employee in Barrie, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Metroland Media Group (Barrie, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Interview process was very standard. Was interviewed by the head of HR at Central Ontario Web Ltd. in Barrie (Owned by Metroland Media Group). Very standard interview questions were asked. Shouldn't have any difficulty with the questions.

Carrier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Metroland Media Group (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in July 2018.

Interview

They were very informative and clear with the responsibilities of my job. They treated me well and with respect despite my age (14), and did everything just fine. It was a good experience.

Newspaper Carrier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vaughan, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Metroland Media Group (Vaughan, ON (Canada)).

Interview

There was no interview, yo just had to email the employer and they would come to your house and tell the basics of the job. They would also give you an information pamphlet and some elastics.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Metroland Media Group.

Interview

it was okay - pretty hard if you don't have a lot of experience. Doing some research prior really helped. I think they should continue what they are doing.

Circulation Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Metroland Media Group in May 2017.

Interview

I was given a phone interview and presented with job requirements. Then invited to an in person interview that was nearly an hour long with additional reference checks. There were 2 people interviewing me and they were very professional and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• When interviewing for this position, I was asked multiple questions regarding high level management skills and presented with scenarios .   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Metroland Media Group (Kitchener, ON (Canada)) in March 2017.

Interview

The description, company, and phone call seemed promising. However, it was a disappointment after receiving an interview. The interviewers were nice, but one was very unprofessional. The job was for individuals who need to make numerous sales and work like a dog. You will not get any benefits from these sales in the long run. You will make very little salary, you're travelling most of the time (with very low car allowances), and get very little commission. Plus your goal is to only make more than the realistic number of sales (making numerous calls, meeting with clients, etc.), if there's no sales, then no one cares. All you will get is some "titled experience." If you're interested in such an environment go for it, but it seems very unprofessional and uncanny. The office was very untidy and unorganized as well. It is unfortunate that such a large-scale media company lacks new and cohesive strategies.

Overall, I had read reviews on Glassdoor prior to the interview thinking they were unrealistic, but they were honest and true. Would not recommend.

Interview Questions

• How does your experience relate to this job?
      How would you go about making a sale?
      Describe what you look for in a manger.
      Describe what motivates you.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brantford, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Metroland Media Group (Brantford, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online, pre-screened within 2 weeks of applying, interview within 1 week of pre-screen, second interview within 1 week of the first and references and then a job offer one week later. Normal/fast process as I know there are many people whom applied. Their new recruiter for the west end is very soft spoken, open and honest about the job and its compensation, and answered my questions professionally.

Interview Questions

• Being in sales you are prone some rejections, what keeps you motivated?   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Metroland Media Group (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in July 2016.

Interview

Submitted application and got email response in under 2 weeks. Initial phone screen with the actual hiring manager himself with basic behavioural questions. Invited for an interview.

Interview was overall pleasant however very difficult. The role was obviously more senior than someone in my scenario and I was asked very, very specific questions on web analytics that I had little experience with. My experience was more on the statistics side. Questions asked were a mix of behavioural, my past experiences/ projects, and I was given a simple math brain teaser that was for fun.

Interview Questions

• A bunch of math brain teasers that weren't difficult and did not contribute much to the interview expect fun discussion.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.