Monzo Bank Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Monzo Bank Interview Questions

Updated 15 Mar 2019

Sort:

Backend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Monzo Bank (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

The hiring process had the following phases:
    - A google meet with an engineer from Monzo to know more about me and my background. Some (few) technical questions were asked, mainly related to my background.
    - Coding challenge.
    - Another google meet with an engineer to talk about the solution you developed. Be prepared to justify the decisions you took while developing your solution and know what could be improved in your solution.
    - A 2h on-site interview with engineers from Monzo divided into a technical interview and a system design interview. The technical interview was, in my opinion, the hardest and included questions from computer networks and distributed systems. The questions were not linear (i.e. "do you know about X?") but more to try to solve hypothetical problems ("if we had this problem in our app, how could we solve it? ", "How could solve this package distribution problem in a computer network?"), so it's very hard to prepare for an interview like this. I felt like the system design interview was more "relaxed".

I ended up not getting an offer, but will probably reapply in the future. Good luck for any future candidates!

Backend Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Monzo Bank.

Interview

Incredibly slow HR, on a good week you can get an answer once, on a bad you will not get it at all. Technical interview itself was good -- engineers are very qualified, discussed interesting problems and they were very understanding to people who've never worked with Go.
    Based on other responses here, I'm still not sure whether they decided to reject me and ghosted, or still considering.

Interview Questions

Monzo Bank Response

6 Mar 2019

We’re really sorry you had a disappointing experience. We always provide an outcome after each interview stage, so we’re sorry if you haven’t received an update from us. We’ve been having an issue... More

Customer Operations Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Monzo Bank (Las Vegas, NV (US)) in January 2019.

Interview

I applied online and quickly received an email asking me to complete a practical exercise which consisted of escalated customer scenarios where I was instructed to write a response to the customer, as if I am part of the Monzo team, and then explain the steps I'd take to resolve the customer issue. This took a couple hours as the scenarios were a bit tricky, but evidently there is "no right or wrong answer".

I was then invited to an in-person interview which was one part group interview, one part skills assessment, and one part 1:1 interview. This process took approx 2 hours as well. It began with a group interview. The purpose of the group interview was to see how well we collaborated as a team. We were each given a sheet a paper with individual/unique customer issues. We were asked to read over the issue, then as a team, decide what should be done for the customer to resolve, and also arrange the issues in order of importance. This part of the interview was pretty entertaining.

Then came the 1:1's. We were each put in our individual rooms with an assigned interviewer to review our practical exercise answers (the one that was sent via email). The interviewer didn't really seem fully invested in the interview, but went ahead and asked why I decided to respond the way that I did (even though it was explained in my response on the exercise sheet). I let him know why I chose the responses I did, though I didn't feel like he was actually listening to me. It almost felt like he was just there 'cause he had to be. It was a bit off putting. I tried to be friendly and asked what his experience has been with Monzo, if the practical exercise scenarios actually happened, and if the responses I provided were similar to the solutions they were actually given (remember, at this point we don't actually know what Monzo standards and policies are, so you gotta wing it). He bragged a bit about his role, confirmed the scenarios were real, and told me my responses were on par with Monzo standards as they were similar to the actual responses given. That gave me a boost of confidence.

The last interview was more traditional. I was asked why I was interested in Monzo, if there's anything I believe would be hard to adjust to at Monzo (I said no, because it is truth, though after receiving rejection email, I started to think I should have made something up so that my confidence in my ability to adapt doesn't come off as cocky), about my experience, etc. Pretty average questions.

Ultimately, I was turned down because they're "looking for people who are keen to provide frontline customer support for an extended period and because your experience exceeds the requirements of the role we didn't get the sense that it would be right for you in the long run." - So basically they're saying I'm overqualified and I'd get bored. Haha. Not really sure how they got THAT out of my interview, aside from me being pretty open about my interest in growing with the company, and possibly joining the leadership team. However, I certainly do NOT understand why they'd invite me to an interview in the first place when my "exceeding" experience is outlined very clearly on my resume. Everything up until the cop-out "over qualified" feedback was pretty regular, but I'm still giving the overall experience a thumbs down because I most definitely felt like my time was not respected. Some actual feedback, like maybe, WHY they thought I was over-qualified and would get bored would have been nice. In fact, I wrote them back to thank them for the opportunity, and to ask for an elaboration so that I have a takeaway from the experience and can apply it to future interviews, you know, something a little more tangible so I don't feel like I wasted my time? Even a "we just really didn't like your face" would have been better lol - I'd appreciate the realness. I also asked if it was possible to reapply, but I NEVER GOT A RESPONSE. SO RUDE. So basically, act dumb, kiss butt, and don't talk about wanting to be in leadership, then maybe you'll get a customer service job with them. :)

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Monzo Bank.

Interview

I was really excited to apply for Monzo. They are doing well and growing fast. They are very customer focused which is similar to my current role. I applied and got through the first call and then finished the code task which was set at four hours max but took me two full days to complete to the level I thought was adequate. Anything less I wouldn't have made it through.

Up to this point, the internal recruitment was doing fine but I had to reschedule the code review phase for another day. I emailed them the week before and had no response, and there was no communication whatsoever about me rescheduling which I found very unprofessional. I had to email around many people and only managed to message someone on LinkedIn who then actioned my request.

I had my hangouts call and this is where everything went wrong. I was asked questions about a domain that I'm not familiar with. I got asked about what to consider with normal users and power users using my application. I answered it in many ways but he was looking for a specific answer that was in his mind and for me was complete guesswork. After ten awkward minutes, I finally worked out what he was trying to say. Huge communication barrier having to ask him to explain his questions better. It was simply adding navigation to the top of the page.

I feel unlucky because I know I would've been a good fit at Monzo. I have a lot to offer and am very customer focused but because I'm not a mind reader I was denied. The interview process is quite flawed and they are missing out on a lot of talent. I hope they take this feedback on board and give people the chance they deserve. You're doing good but it could be better.

Interview Questions

• How to consider normal users and power users using my application.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

HR department is a mess. Getting a reply to any email is like drawing blood from a stone. Have since accepted an offer at another high growth startup. It’s a shame because they’re probably missing out on a lot of talent slipping through the cracks due to being understaffed

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Monzo Bank (London, England) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Took a week to hear back and to be invited for a 30 minute phone screen.

Phone screen consisted of a conversation with an engineer there about my motivations and experience level. The email arranging the conversation implied it would be a general chat with no technical questions but a number of technical questions were asked.

I was progressed to the take-home technical test. After submitting this a review call was arranged. This was with a single engineer and was a chat about how I approached the coding test and to talk through some aspects of the code.

I felt the review call went well, but received a rejection the following day. The reasons cited were that I did not explain "how to take the coding test further". I asked for more detailed feedback but my email was ignored.

My gut feeling is that I was supposed to play along with the idea that the take-home coding test was a real product and to suggest ways of improving it above and beyond the given spec. If this was the case it was entirely unclear from the interview and I was not prompted to give that as an answer. The closest question to this was "What would you do differently if you were starting this project from scratch", to which I gave the honest answer that aside from a few small gotchas I would proceed in the same way. I was upfront about the fact I was treating it as a test of my coding skills and not as a real product for end-users.

Be honest and upfront with candidates about what you're looking for in an interview - if you expect candidates to read your mind you're not going to hire a diverse set of people and you'll end up with organisational groupthink. Consider having multiple engineers in the interview at each stage (especially after the first call) to ensure a fairer process.

Interview Questions

• What would you do differently if you were starting the coding test from scratch?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Monzo Bank (London, England) in February 2017.

Interview

Hangout interview with CTO, intro to the Monzo project and ethos, followed by chat about current work, interests and plans for the future.
    Take home exercise - web crawler
    Exercise review hangout
    On-site interview 3h split in 1h segments: general technical, systems design and a general getting-to-know each other chat.

Interview Questions

• I didn't find any of the questions particularly difficult and had a great time discussing and reasoning about the inner workings of a computer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Monzo Bank (London, England) in August 2017.

Interview

Initial call with the CTO going into my past experience and digging in to some technical examples.After the call I was sent a take-home test, which took around 3 hours to complete. This was followed by a call to review the code written for the take-home test, which was surprisingly in-depth for an early stage interview.

The final stage was an in person interview that lasted about 3 hours. This was split into 3 sections: general technical interview, system design, and role fit. All of the sections focused on real-world examples and didn't involve any brain teasers or writing algorithms on a whiteboard.

Overall, I had a really positive experience interviewing at Monzo. Everyone was really friendly, happy to answer any questions I had, and all of the tests and questions felt fair and relevant. The only negative was the amount of time it took to get a response at times. The whole process took ~6 months, but this was delayed on my end to some extent.

Interview Questions

• Distributed system design, concurrency. No leetcode type questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Monzo Bank (London, England) in September 2017.

Interview

CV Screen
    Phone screen (30mins) - will go through everything on your CV
    Take home assignment - Concurrent webcrawler
    Phone Interview - Review of concurrent web crawler
    On Site Interview -NA

interview process is very unorganised. Email only, replies take > 1week.
    entire process >3months, be prepared to wait 2-4 weeks between phases.

Phone inteview is review of web crawler exercise:

-How could you improve the performance of the crawler
    -what is the limiting factor of current implementation

Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Monzo Bank (London, England) in January 2017.

Interview

No interview required. In fact, I had to contact the team and ask if any positions were available. The process has been quite fast and easy. In fact, after checking whether a position was available, the HR came back to me.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.