Monzo Bank Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Monzo Bank Interview Questions

Updated 17 Jan 2019

Sort:

Backend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Monzo Bank (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

The hiring process had the following phases:
    - A google meet with an engineer from Monzo to know more about me and my background. Some (few) technical questions were asked, mainly related to my background.
    - Coding challenge.
    - Another google meet with an engineer to talk about the solution you developed. Be prepared to justify the decisions you took while developing your solution and know what could be improved in your solution.
    - A 2h on-site interview with engineers from Monzo divided into a technical interview and a system design interview. The technical interview was, in my opinion, the hardest and included questions from computer networks and distributed systems. The questions were not linear (i.e. "do you know about X?") but more to try to solve hypothetical problems ("if we had this problem in our app, how could we solve it? ", "How could solve this package distribution problem in a computer network?"), so it's very hard to prepare for an interview like this. I felt like the system design interview was more "relaxed".

I ended up not getting an offer, but will probably reapply in the future. Good luck for any future candidates!

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

HR department is a mess. Getting a reply to any email is like drawing blood from a stone. Have since accepted an offer at another high growth startup. It’s a shame because they’re probably missing out on a lot of talent slipping through the cracks due to being understaffed

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Monzo Bank (London, England) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Took a week to hear back and to be invited for a 30 minute phone screen.

Phone screen consisted of a conversation with an engineer there about my motivations and experience level. The email arranging the conversation implied it would be a general chat with no technical questions but a number of technical questions were asked.

I was progressed to the take-home technical test. After submitting this a review call was arranged. This was with a single engineer and was a chat about how I approached the coding test and to talk through some aspects of the code.

I felt the review call went well, but received a rejection the following day. The reasons cited were that I did not explain "how to take the coding test further". I asked for more detailed feedback but my email was ignored.

My gut feeling is that I was supposed to play along with the idea that the take-home coding test was a real product and to suggest ways of improving it above and beyond the given spec. If this was the case it was entirely unclear from the interview and I was not prompted to give that as an answer. The closest question to this was "What would you do differently if you were starting this project from scratch", to which I gave the honest answer that aside from a few small gotchas I would proceed in the same way. I was upfront about the fact I was treating it as a test of my coding skills and not as a real product for end-users.

Be honest and upfront with candidates about what you're looking for in an interview - if you expect candidates to read your mind you're not going to hire a diverse set of people and you'll end up with organisational groupthink. Consider having multiple engineers in the interview at each stage (especially after the first call) to ensure a fairer process.

Interview Questions

• What would you do differently if you were starting the coding test from scratch?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Monzo Bank (London, England) in August 2017.

Interview

Initial call with the CTO going into my past experience and digging in to some technical examples.After the call I was sent a take-home test, which took around 3 hours to complete. This was followed by a call to review the code written for the take-home test, which was surprisingly in-depth for an early stage interview.

The final stage was an in person interview that lasted about 3 hours. This was split into 3 sections: general technical interview, system design, and role fit. All of the sections focused on real-world examples and didn't involve any brain teasers or writing algorithms on a whiteboard.

Overall, I had a really positive experience interviewing at Monzo. Everyone was really friendly, happy to answer any questions I had, and all of the tests and questions felt fair and relevant. The only negative was the amount of time it took to get a response at times. The whole process took ~6 months, but this was delayed on my end to some extent.

Interview Questions

• Distributed system design, concurrency. No leetcode type questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Monzo Bank (London, England) in February 2017.

Interview

Hangout interview with CTO, intro to the Monzo project and ethos, followed by chat about current work, interests and plans for the future.
    Take home exercise - web crawler
    Exercise review hangout
    On-site interview 3h split in 1h segments: general technical, systems design and a general getting-to-know each other chat.

Interview Questions

• I didn't find any of the questions particularly difficult and had a great time discussing and reasoning about the inner workings of a computer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Monzo Bank (London, England) in September 2017.

Interview

CV Screen
    Phone screen (30mins) - will go through everything on your CV
    Take home assignment - Concurrent webcrawler
    Phone Interview - Review of concurrent web crawler
    On Site Interview -NA

interview process is very unorganised. Email only, replies take > 1week.
    entire process >3months, be prepared to wait 2-4 weeks between phases.

Phone inteview is review of web crawler exercise:

-How could you improve the performance of the crawler
    -what is the limiting factor of current implementation

Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Monzo Bank (London, England) in January 2017.

Interview

No interview required. In fact, I had to contact the team and ask if any positions were available. The process has been quite fast and easy. In fact, after checking whether a position was available, the HR came back to me.

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Monzo Bank (London, England) in October 2017.

Interview

Extensive questionnaire to fill out online ~ 1 hour followed by an hour long test to complete at home. After sending these I was invited to Fast Track interview on October 7th. I initially thought I was in the wrong building as 15 minutes into the advertised start time, there was no sign of any staff, but they eventually came down and apologised. At that point I realised that the enormous group ~40 people in the lobby were also being interviewed on the same day - I previously thought they were a conference. Not a good start so far... Then we go in and I have a girl point a camera in my face and take a polaroid without my consent and stick it up on their wall and handed me some Monzo logo stickers and a pen as if that works by way of apology. After that, we were left for maybe a further half an hour before one of the directors came out and made a long speech and we were given individual schedules for the day. First, I had to do a group task which just consisted of 4 of us being put in a room with three Monzo staff sat silently in the corners making notes on laptops. None of us had any idea what we were supposed to do, but we were eventually given a sheet of paper with a task, but this was not clear and the staff ignored us when we asked questions letting us know they are only there to observe and can't help. It was a bit of disaster to put it lightly. Next was a role interview which was one of the weirdest interviews I've ever had. We started off by talking about my answers to the test I did from home, but then turned to really complicated questions about banking and payment processing which annoyed me as I was specifically told when I asked that I didn't need to prepare or do any research. I was asked detailed questions about Monzo policies and asked what I thought of them and then the interviewer would look very surprised and ask me why on earth I thought that, despite having been led to that answer through the discussion. It was just awful. I really hated it and wanted to leave straight after. After I had another interview this time a culture interview, which was another strange one. Very weird questions about my personal life - a bit inappropriate really. All in all, I did not enjoy the day and was rather thankful that they didn't think I fit the company's culture because I'd take it as an insult if they did.

Interview Questions

• Why did you come to the fast track interview event today?   Answer Question
    • What did you study in high school? Did you enjoy high school? Were you popular at school? Did you do any activities outside of school?   Answer Question
    • If you could be any animal, which would you be? Why? Do you have any pets? What are they called?   Answer Question
    • What is your favourite food? How would you improve this food?   Answer Question
    • Do you enjoy living where you do? How long have you lived there? Is there much to do? Do your friends live near you?   Answer Question
    • Would you be happy to work remotely? Have you ever felt isolated or lonely? How do you prevent feeling lonely when you're away from friends and work colleagues?   Answer Question
    • What is the purpose of a bank?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Monzo Bank in August 2017.

Interview

Applied via careers portal. Two weeks later was asked to submit my availability for a phone interview. No response to my availability for two more weeks, by which point I had to submit more available times. Phone interview was fine, pretty normal questions. Then completed an take home test that seemed fairly straight forward.

Two more weeks went by with no response so I chased the internal recruiter who didn’t respond. Eventually guessed the email address of the hiring manager and asked them for an update. They responded saying I’d find out the next day. Was told that they were no longer hiring for the role but want S to keep me in mind for the future.

Bearing in mind this was 8 weeks after I initially applied this was really frustrating news. I am inclined to believe that they hired someone else but couldn’t be bothered to provide feedback to my application. Considering I had put a lot of time and effort into the application the least they could do would have been to be honest with me rather than shirk responsibility.

Throughout the application process the communication was terrible. I appreciate the company is growing fast but this really was awful.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a recent investigation you have undertaken?   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Monzo Bank.

Interview

automated mail after submitting an application with the promise to get back within two weeks. Only after two months did I get a reply saying that they did not consider my application.

Interview Questions

• Good questions about why one wants to work for the company with different questions based on the roles   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.