Mountain Warehouse Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Mountain Warehouse Interview Questions

Updated 7 Oct 2018

2.4

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mountain Warehouse (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn asking if I would be interested in the company. We then started out with a phone interview at my earliest convenience with the HR Manager based out of Ontario. They were extremely nice and personable, and asked mostly about my experience and roles in my previous job and told me a lot about the company. I then had an interview with the district manager in person the following week, and this interview was very personality based, testing to see if I would be a good fit and if I would stay, should they hire me. And then I received a job offer a few days later.

Interview Questions

• How would you work in an environment with little structure?
      Does it excite you to work in a company new to this geographic that is in a time of rapid expansion?
      Why did you leave your previous job?   Answer Question

Assistant Merchandise Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mountain Warehouse (London, England) in November 2017.

Interview

2 on 1 face to face talking through my CV, past work experience & general skills related to the role. Also, presented a SWOT I was asked by the recruiter to prepare (although this felt like an after-thought once the interview questions were reaching an end)

Interview Questions

• Who are Mountain Warehouse's competitors?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Interview

Applied on-line. Got invited for a face to face interview shortly after. Was told I had the experience they were looking for. Almost an hour interview. Positive, until the end, where I was pressured to give them my salary expectations. They did not accept my answer that I had an open mind without any salary expectations. They kept pressuring me to provide them with a number.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Mountain Warehouse (London, England) in October 2016.

Interview

Turned up for the interview all prepared and on time and the person interviewing me had no idea about the interview (the original interviewer was out of the office on a business trip and this clearly wasn't communicated) I was told there would be a maths test (wasn't pre warned about this but this could be the recruiters fault) I waited 15 minutes and then i'm assuming the reason why there was no maths test is because they couldn't find one. They sat down and then told me they didn't have a copy of my CV so I had to bring up my CV on my mac (luckily I had this or they wouldn't have even been able to see my CV), they didn't spend any time looking at it, I explained my experience and presented my SWOT and then they said I wasn't suitable for the department even though the head of buying reviewed my CV and did want to see me. An extremely bad impression of a company and this isn't a total surprise after reading reviews on here about how there is a lack of organisation and communication within the company. I took time to prepare a powerpoint presentation SWOT of the company and visited a store and competitor stores all for nothing, it was a complete waste of my time and money.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Victoria, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Mountain Warehouse (Victoria, England) in March 2013.

Interview

Fairly straight forward. Usual competency questions asked.
    Maths test and review of a tech pack - spot the mistakes/what could be changed to make it better etc.
    Took a very long time to get feedback from 1st interview and a while to be asked back for 2nd interview.
    Present a SWOT analysis

Interview Questions

• What's your best quality? What do you do well? What would others say about you?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barnstaple, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Mountain Warehouse (Barnstaple, England) in April 2015.

Interview

Probably one of the most unprofessional interview processes I have ever been through.
    It applied on online and got offered a phone interview, with a member of their Recruitment department.
    So far all well and good... till the phone interview.
    I was phoned during the afternoon. Upon taking the call, I had extreme difficulty hearing the person speaking to me. After asking for the 1st question to be repeated twice, due to a very loud noise in the background of the interviewer... she finally said to me-
    'Sorry about this, its a nice afternoon and I decided to interview in the garden. My neighbour has just started mowing the lawn, which is why you can't hear me. I will go back in doors, so we can continue'.
    Now... I have no idea how their recruitment department works, and if it's common practice to interview from home. If that's what they do, fair enough... but telling an prospective applicant that you are interviewing in your garden and the loud noise spoiling the interview is the neighbours mower... is so what unprofessional.
    Anyway... after the young lady went indoors and the interview could be completed in a quieter environment, I got told I was being forwarded to the 2nd stage.
    This took place at my local store and was something of a casual affair. I know they are an outdoor leisure company, but I did expect the Regional Manager to have made a little effort in her dress sense. Interviewing an applicant when you look like you have just got back from Glastonbury, regardless of what products you sell.. starts to give you the impression you are dealing with a company that has little understanding of one of the most important aspects of recruitment, and that is... you are representing your brand.
    The interview was the usual Store Management interview, with nothing thrown in to make you really think. At the end, I was told I would hear back by the end of the following week, either way...
    Maybe when you tell an applicant they will hear back, by a certain date... you can expect them to think that is when 'they will hear back'...
    The fact it took a further 2 weeks after the 'hear back' date... to finally actually hear back just about summed up Mountain Warehouse.
    I was somewhat dubious about applying to begin with, but as part of your Job Seekers Allowance agreement, you have to apply for a lot of jobs that you would usually avoid.
    The bad staff reviews and very high management turnover this company seems to have, had already set off alarm bells that maybe this was a company to best avoid. The shockingly unprofessional way they treat their applicants... really underlined that professionalism and respect for and towards applicants is not high on their agenda.
    Maybe this was one of the 'one off' instances... then again... maybe not.

Interview Questions

• Standard Store Management interview... nothing earth shattering. Usual questions you get at 80% of these interviews.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Mountain Warehouse.

Interview

Ridiculously long process. 6 weeks in total from application to decision. Telephone interview was incredibly short notice and covered the standard questions.
    The first to face interview was held at a job centre. I understand that they are an outdoor clothing company but the area manager could have dressed up a little. There was no clear structure.
    The next face to face interview was with the senior regional manager. I was quite surprised how unprepared he was. At one point he even turned and put his computer on its side as he couldn't turn a document around on it. This interview wasn't good as he had previously worked for the same company as myself, although several years previously. He decided he knew answers before I could answer. Most concerning was that he didn't know the national minimum wage and was unable to accurately calculate the annual salary of a member of staff.

Interview Questions

• To prepare a swot analysis and 30-60-90 day plan for the store. To discuss at both interviews.

If I had unlimited funds what would I change about the store?   1 Answer

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Victoria, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mountain Warehouse (Victoria, England) in February 2016.

Interview

Fairly straight forward, had an interview with the main manager. Asked briefly about my past experience, looked at my portfolio and went over what they do at mountain warehouse. Was invited to another interview stage where I had to complete a design brief and show it to the lead buyer who provided feedback on the designs created.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?

What did you do at your previous job?

Why do you want to work here?

Do you have any management experience?

Did you come across any issues in your last management experience, if so how did you handle them?   Answer Question

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mountain Warehouse (Leeds, England) in November 2016.

Interview

Sent a very short email telling me to ring up and organise an interview. I rang up the same day and organised an interview for the next. I went along and got taken up to the interview room. They told me different information as shown on the advert, with a change in hours (to less).

Interview Questions

• Describe and example of bad customer service.   1 Answer

Interview

I applied at a job fair and was given an interview and the job on the spot. I informed the interviewer that I'd be away for the summer (I applied in march) and the interviewer said that was completely fine, I would get some training and product knowledge prior to leaving and then get a refresher before starting work when I get back. The interviewer was really nice and friendly. He told me to expect an email with more details later in the evening but the email didn't arrive until almost a week later. I was told to expect to start training sometime in early June but I got a second email later on saying that they're pushing the date back (not their fault. The outlet mall they operate in ran into some problems during construction) eventually the final date was set but it was on the day I had to leave. I informed the SM about it and she said the same thing the interviewer told me. When I got back from my trip I promptly informed them but I didn't get a reply I tried emailing them several times over the next several weeks but I never got a reply back

Interview Questions

• If you had a million dollars what would you do with the money   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.