Penguin Random House Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Penguin Random House Interview Questions

Interviews at Penguin Random House

2.8

Case Manager Interview

Interview

Great very welcoming and informing, clear concise explanation, wonderful exciting friendly nice, understanding. Good to know, would like a chance to speak again. Maybe elevate the testing portion until the end,.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Penguin Random House.

Interview

I heard back about my application fairly quickly and set up a phone screening. A few days after that I was emailed to set up an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had to work in a group? When was a time you had to complete a project solo?   Answer Question

Assistant Digital Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Penguin Random House (New York, NY (US)) in August 2020.

Interview

The interview was fairly easy. When I did the initial screening, I was contacted by email an hour later to participate in a video interview the next morning. Then I waited 2 weeks for someone to contact me back on whether I received the job or not.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you are a fit for this position?   1 Answer

Editorial Assistant Interview

Interview

I interviewed for a position under two editors who work in separate imprints but share an assistant. I spoke with the first editor alone, where she asked me questions and gave me a manuscript sample to read. Then I had a chance to speak to the second editor who also gave me two samples to read and review. The first editor worked mostly with literary and upmarket fiction while the second editor was exclusively into non-fiction. They really needed an assistant who could manage this very broad workload. After speaking with both editors I also had a chance to talk for a while with the current assistant and ask her questions about the job, her likes, challenges and advice.

Intern Interview

Interview

It was a great interview and it was down to me and someone else but someone else got it. The copy test was to write copy for a new product that was to come out. I spent a lot of time on it and thought that I did really well.

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Penguin Random House (New York, NY (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

My interview experience was really positive. If there is anything I can recommend to people interviewing at Penguin, it's that you should prepare a lot of behavioral questions such as "tell me about a time when.." Additionally, bring several copies of your resume to an in-person interview. I will also say that I applied for 8 jobs at Penguin before getting an interview, and the only reason I actually got one is that I had a friend who worked directly with that imprint,

First, I was emailed by the recruiter, which went really well. On the phone with me, she scheduled the in-person interview, which was a few days later. I was told the in-person interview would take about an hour, but I was there for 2 hours. When I asked for an update about three weeks later, I was told I was still being considered. However, I received a job offer from another publisher and reached out to Penguin to see if they wanted to counter. The recruiter was super nice and got back to me promptly. They decided not to offer and I ended up taking the offer from the other company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had multiple projects to juggle and how you managed it.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Penguin Random House.

Interview

Had a phone interview, then 2 consecutive in-person interviews, one with HR and the other in the department I was applying for. My would-be supervisors basically walked me through the job on the spot, only to never hear official word and found out I was not selected. Very long process and unprofessional

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Penguin Random House in November 2019.

Interview

First you have a phone call with an HR person. The interview is not difficult, the HR lady was very friendly and nice. The second interview is also a phone call but this time it is with the hiring manager.

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Penguin Random House (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

A relatively short, and to-the-point phone interview with a recruiter from the company. Interview was less than 15 minutes and I was asked more about my interest in publishing rather than skills that qualified me for the position.

Interview Questions

• I was asked what skills I would utilize to manage and keep track of various projects and calendars. I was also asked what my interest was in publishing and what book I was currently reading.   Answer Question

Production Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Penguin Random House in October 2019.

Interview

After a phone screen in which I mentioned my salary requirements and was told the position was in that range, the in-person interview informed me the salary for the position was actually well below my requirements, and the position considerably below my experience level. All in all, a colossal waste of time that could have been avoided had the phone screen been accurate about the job's experience level and salary. Not sure how this sort of mistake can happen at a company as large as Penguin Random House.

Interview Questions

• What is a challenge you faced in your previous position?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.