Renaissance Technologies LLC Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Renaissance Technologies LLC Interview Questions

Interviews at Renaissance Technologies LLC

3.6

Research Infrastructure Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Renaissance Technologies LLC in March 2018.

Interview

A tech lead called me for a phone screen. He asked if I had any questions, then introduced the company and position. After that, he asked me about the operating systems I've used as well as versions of the kernel and compilers used. Then he asked C++ questions, starting with basic concepts and moving on to what was introduced in the versions I was familiar with. After language specific questions were relatively simple "fill in the function" coding problems.

However, there's an expectation that you can code correctly, efficiently, and verbally without any leeway when expressing the code. When I ended up getting flustered and making increasingly poor mistakes, he told me that this would not work out and ended the call.

Research Infrastructure Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Renaissance Technologies LLC.

Interview

The tech leader called me a screening interview. He introduced their company, this job position, and the recruiting process. He then invited me to ask any questions. After that, he began to ask technical questions which are heavily related to Linux and C++. However, the questions he asked are far beyond the main stream. He asked about the Linux version, kernel version, gcc version. And then he asked the prototype of std::move function. Wow, he expected me to answer:

template< class T >
    typename std::remove_reference<T>::type&& move( T&& t ) noexcept;

What? It's not the type of technical interview I imaged! After another few such questions, I just cannot tolerate any more: "Can you ask some questions that wouldn't be easily looked up online or in manuals ?" He paused for a few seconds, and said "Sorry, you are not qualified for this position".

They said they want C++ expert for this position. OK, I got what their "expert" means.

Interview Questions

• What's prototype of std::move function?
      What's the return type of time() function?   Answer Question

Real-Time Trading Programming Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Renaissance Technologies LLC in November 2016.

Interview

Got the interview chance on the same day that I applied. Started with a phone call and all of the questions are about linux and c++. c++ questions heavily focus on language implementations.

Quant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Renaissance Technologies LLC (New York, NY (US)) in October 2011.

Interview

Ask around 10 probability/CS/math questions

Interview Questions

• how fast can you find the max in a sorted list of numbers   4 Answers

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Setauket, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Renaissance Technologies LLC (East Setauket, NY (US)) in March 2011.

Interview

Phone call with one of the company heads, who then contacted my references and called me for an onsite day. There was a hour-long research talk, many 1-on-1 and 2-on-1 sessions with 12-14 people total, and a dinner at the end. Several questions on my talk, and many standard quant brainteasers that were fairly easy, but I was not well prepared at the time and did poorly. Most people were quite friendly, but some odd personalities as well. Some 2-on-1 sessions had the interviewers arguing with each other, and the CEO just left me alone in his office to work out a problem without talking much. They mostly hire experienced people from academia and industrial research labs, not new PhDs. Still good experience.

Interview Questions

• Probability of revolver shooting after 2 shots,
      Bayes rule question about finding a two-headed coin in a pile   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Renaissance Technologies LLC (Mumbai (India)).

Interview

They made me.wait for 4 hours before the interview. It wasn't even walk in it was jsut me. The hr is rude while I tried answering few questions there was alot of cross questionning which lead to alot of frustration. They weren't supportive at all. Being a fresher they expect you to know eveyonhing

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Renaissance Technologies LLC in January 2008.

Interview

I spent the day talking to about eight different people, starting with the most junior and ending with the chief scientist. People were in general quite friendly, were mostly interested in assessing my competence rather than assessing personality types or performance under pressure. Employees were of the type usually found in physics departments... a bunch of quite smart people with a mix of oddball personality traits.

Interview Questions

• explain the data type specified from an obfusticated C declaration   Answer Question
Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.