Sumdog Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Sumdog

2.7

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sumdog (Edinburgh, Scotland).

Interview

Phone interview with HR, then 1 to 1 with the hiring manager. I had to prepare a short easy task for the interview.

The task they asked for was a little bit dodgy. I mean, they asked for a UX review of their current website. This to me looks like they're looking for some UX consultancy work for free. But fair enough, it was short and didn't take me more than half an hour so it didn't bother me a lot.

Then the hiring manager asked the usual questions about my previous experience and skills. Very relaxed mood and it was more like an informal chat.

I got a rejection maybe 2 weeks later. I asked for some more specific feedback and apparently the hiring manager said I was too focussed on the research side of UX while they were looking for a someone more skilled in UX Design.

To be honest, I think it was a weird and overall ridiculous reason: first, the job advert clearly highlighted that they were looking for someone who could do UX Research and when they mentioned UX design, all they mentioned was low-fidelity and wireframes.
    Second, my CV and my portfolio clearly shows that although I have a background in UX research, I had been working in UX Design roles for quite some time. And finally, the hiring manager kept asking and asking UX Research related questions. Seriously, at least 50% of what he asked was about research.

So, you are looking for a UX designer who can do research as well, you ask me tons of questions about UX research at the interview, then you reject me because I am "too focussed on research"? Get a grip, please

Interview Questions

Sumdog Response

1 Oct 2018 – Special Projects Coordinator

Our mission is to close the attainment gap by helping every child reach their full potential. With the children in mind, we are committed to recruiting the best talent to work at Sumdog. We conduct interviews in a professional & fair manner with the sole aim of identifying the best candidate for a role. If you have a specific complaint regarding our recruitment process please write to us at jobs@sumdog.com.

Assistant to Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sumdog (Edinburgh, Scotland) in February 2018.

Interview

I sent in a cv and cover letter. Later I was notified that I would have a phone interview w/ HR. This was for an entry level job advertised to students

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sumdog (Edinburgh, Scotland) in August 2017.

Interview

Very odd experience from beginning to end. The job description was very vague and didn't include vital information about the need for cold calling as a huge aspect of the job.

The initial phone interview went well but the lady I spoke with came across inexperienced and unsure of the duties of the role.

The face to face interview consisted of a (very) brief introduction to the hiring Manager (who was the inexperienced lady I spoke with) and information on what the rest of the interview would include. She informed me that it would begin with a ten minute presentation on "me" and why "they should hire me for this role" with only a short preparation time and no other warning. No formal introduction and no outline of the role, just straight in with a "presentation" that could have just been a normal interview question.

The whole experience felt unprofessional and unnecessary. After discovering the cold calling duties of the role (not previously mentioned in the description), together with the very odd "interview" plan and unprofessional nature of the hiring process, I decided against wasting more of their time (and mine) and left shortly after arriving.

Lead Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Sumdog (Edinburgh, Scotland) in August 2017.

Interview

Telephone interview was pretty full on, but was described as a chat.
    It consisted of:
    - Several logic questions
    - CTO likes to talk a lot and not listen

In house interview was described as an informal chat by recruiter.
    This was not the case the interview consisted of:
    - 2 Technical tests ( one of which was poorly defined )
    - 40mins of intense questions, some of which where rather random

Had to wait nearly 2 weeks for any sort of response, had to prompt the recruiter to even reply.
    I gave feedback on my prospect which was not even acknowledged.

Process would be far better if you tell people what they are going into instead of being blindsided.

Interview Questions

• Find me bugs in this login form, with these poorly defined requirements   1 Answer

Relationship Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sumdog.

Interview

I attended the first stage interview, the structure was more like a second or final stage as there was an impromptu presentation and role play involved. They seem like a very interesting company however, the staff are all very friendly, it has a start up feeling and I think the role would have offered good progression.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Sumdog (Edinburgh, Scotland) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied for the job through a recruitment agency by sending my CV. They then called and asked for information about my work history. I was then put through for a phone interview with Sumdog. It was quite informal and I was told that the main purpose was to see how well I communicated by phone.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time when you formed a relationship that benefited your organisation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sumdog (Edinburgh, Scotland) in July 2017.

Interview

The first step of the interview was a short phone interview, where the hiring manager went over the role with me and asked me a few informal questions. I was invited in for an in-person interview a few days later.

The in-person interview was a panel of two managers at Sumdog, both of whom were very nice. They gave me a tour of the office initially. The interview itself was unusual and a little bit difficult. First, I got about 10 minutes to prepare a presentation explaining why they should hire me for the position. After that, we role played a phone call where I tried to convince a school principal to use Sumdog. The final task was to write an email to a principal letting them know about the Sumdog program.

I received a personalised email the next week that I didn't progress to the second round in favour of candidates with more experience.

Interview Questions

• Give a five minute talk that shows us why you are the best hire for the Relationship Manager position.   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sumdog in September 2016.

Interview

Very simple interview, only one technical question asked, took up around five minutes at maximum. Was also asked about my opinion of the company, whether I knew any other employees

Student Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sumdog (Edinburgh, Scotland) in January 2016.

Interview

They send you an assignment on Scala or D3. This is about coding questions for their online websites. If you complete it successfully they call you for onsite interview and ask you to explain the code in detail and more coding, database and team work questions. They e-mail you their decision after that.

Interview Questions

• Explain the code you developed for your assignment. Design a relational schema.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sumdog in May 2011.

Interview

I sent my CV via email, followed by a phone screening the next day. On the third day, I already had an interview with CEO, and met the rest of the team. The interview also included a number of technical questions. After the interview, in the evening, I was given the offer and could negotiate it from there.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about ways of organizing/improving structure and relationship of users in the database given an example of current (possibly production) state.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my salary and the company was quite flexible during the whole interview process.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.