Synthace Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Synthace (London, England) in March 2019.

Interview

The interview process was quite good. I've learned about the company from Linkedin jobs section and then later read more about it on their website and across the internet. I've applied through Linkedin and was contacted by a recruitment agency. If I remember correctly these were the steps I had:
    - initial phone call with the recruitment agency - general talk about my background
    - initial phone call with the recruiter from Synthace - general talk about my background, learning more about the company
    - online skill screen on codility (without interviewer, 3 problems to solve within 3 hours within the next week)
    - 1:1 technical interview (online, some technical questions, some coding)
    - on-site interview (5 parts: 2x coding, architecture, team fit, lab tour)
    - additional 1:1 coding (online)

The online parts were on codility+hangouts - I was writing code on codility while talking with the recruiter via hangouts. One time it was just writing code, the other time I was also asked to make it compile and run.

The best part was obviously the lab tour :)

Interview Questions

Synthace Response

29 Mar 2019 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We're glad that you enjoyed the process of interviewing with us, and that it had a positive outcome!

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synthace.

Interview

45 minute interview / screening call identifying fit for role with a mixture of technical and soft skill questions. Great impression of the company and highly focused on collaborative working. They also say they are flexible with the scope of roles.

3 hour test using the codility platform if also being considered for software engineer.

1 hour interview with one member of the software team who asks technical questions followed by a live coding exercise to canonicalize an IPv6 address.

While the first stage interviewer was friendly and open to discussion the second stage interviewer came across incredibly dismissive projecting the complete opposite of the culture mentioned in the screening call. They seem to forget that an interview works both ways i.e. candidates are also interviewing their future colleagues. The second stage interviewer seemed to have a list of tools they wanted to hear mentioned when it came to the question of debugging a network error but did not give any specific problem.

Overall the second stage interview is more a test of memory rather than of how you approach solving problems. In contrast to what was mentioned in the initial call, the company demonstrated zero flexibility as was told my skills are between an SRE and a software engineer and they wanted to recruit for the specific roles.

Interview Questions

• What is your preferred working environment?   Answer Question
    • What is the time complexity of accessing a Map and a LinkedList?   Answer Question
    • Tell me how a client/server application communicates over TCP/IP?   Answer Question
    • What tools would you use to debug a networking error?   Answer Question

27 Mar 2019 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We're sorry you weren't successful on this occasion.
    We value your feedback and we'll take your comments into consideration as we're constantly reviewing our processes to provide the best possible... More

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synthace (London, England) in May 2019.

Interview

Recruiter phone screen, live coding phone screen, online timed programming test (3 questions over roughly 3 hours), afternoon on site (5 hours), including 2x programming/altos interviews, 1x system design/architecture interview, 1x interpersonal skills/engineering approach interview, and a tour of the labs.

Interview Questions

• Design a system to download all pages from a 1M+ page website, given a number of laptops.   Answer Question

Biological Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Synthace (London, England) in May 2019.

Interview

I was contacted around two weeks after applying directly on the company website. The team got in touch to arrange a 30-minute remote interview and I was then offered an interview at the company premises in White City. There were two interviews (behavioural and skills-based) followed by a presentation (15 mins delivery and 15 mins questions). The company are fantastic - very friendly and dynamic - and the offices are modern.

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synthace.

Interview

Desorganised. Different interviewers ask the same questions, making it very repetitive. The questions do not progress logically. All job descriptions are the same for scientist positions. Interview questions were vague. Feedback after the interview was contradictory and inaccurate. It sounded like they decided I'm a not a good fit but don't know exactly why, so they made up some weird reasons.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background (Had to rehearse my CV 3 consecutive times).   1 Answer

22 Aug 2019 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We're sorry to hear that you didn't have a positive experience.

Indeed, there is a huge amount of overlap between the different positions in our Lab team, as it's only specialism that is the... More

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Synthace (London, England) in May 2019.

Interview

Exciting company vision and met some great people there but UNORGANIZED PROCESS.

The process unorganized and took ~5 months, changing search scope with most engagements, my impression was that they are not aligned internally on candidate hire objectives.

During the process, the team will try and bring up a challenge of yours and expect you to respond to it, asking for help vs. dismissing it, ok with this tactic other than the execution. Their strategy is to push this to after your acceptance of an offer then, the two hiring managers play "good cop/bad cop," complete with the "extra review" to encouragement or coaching on the process, etc. After this, it was clear they were more interested in playing games with their candidates or at the very least are not aligned with each other. Was really disingenuous, could be indicative of what it's like to work there, that was my take-result: mutual decline.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current position?   1 Answer
    • What are your salary expectations? Asked at least 5 times   1 Answer
    • Describe your sales approach in the life sciences market.   Answer Question

9 Jul 2019 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We can only apologise if expectations were not managed properly for this particular opening, and we will aim to address this in a more... More

Field Applications Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Synthace (London, England).

Interview

Applied through website and received a response after about four weeks.
    I was invited for an initial phone screening with the recruiter. The conversation was friendly and mainly about my background and motivation to work for Synthace.
    The second interview was carried out as a video chat. It was about my technical background and skills. I also had the chance to learn more about the company/position and team that I'd be part of. Unfortunately, my skills didn't match their expectations and I was not invited for the next round.
    Overall I had a really good experience; the communication was always fast and professional. I also received valuable feedback after the interviews. From the impression that I gained during the interview process Synthace is a great company to work for!

Interview Questions

Synthace Response

22 Aug 2019 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We're really grateful for you taking the time to provide feedback on your experience, and even more so that you enjoyed the process. We're sorry that things didn't work out on this occasion, and wish... More

Field Applications Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Synthace (London, England) in May 2019.

Interview

The initial video call went well (1 hour), after which the company recommended a different role. I accepted and was sent a programming test (2 hours) which I passed with 100%. A second video call with head of customer success (1 hour) also went very well and I was called in for an on site assessment. I was greeted at 11am with the wrong forename, which I corrected and was taken to an interview room and asked to wait. The first interviewer also got my name wrong and after correcting him my correct interviewers were found for a skills assessment which went smoothly (1 hour). The second interview (90 minutes) was essentially a chat about my life story and interests which the senior interviewer left to take a phone call after 40 minutes. I then gave a (20 minute) presentation on a piece of software as if giving a product demo in front of around 20 employees. I was shown around the office and labs and left after 4 hours - at no point during the 4 hours was food provided (I was offered a biscuit once). Before leaving I was asked if I had any other interviews and I said that I did and would appreciate a quick response.

In summary, the process totalled 8 hours excluding travel to London and preparation for interviews / presentation over a period of 2 months. After 2 days of silence I was sent a rejection email at 6pm on a Friday evening. I couldn't help but think I had been led through hoops for two months...

Interview Questions

• How would you troubleshoot PCR?   1 Answer

22 Aug 2019 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for providing feedback, which we will use to continue improving our process.

As there is often overlap between some of the positions we're hiring for, we like to take into account your... More

Consultant (Biotechnology) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Synthace (London, England) in June 2019.

Interview

I was referred after an informational interview with a current member of the team. The hiring manager arranged a pre-screen phone interview to talk about available roles. I then had a coding test and then another phone interview with a member of the science team that was more informational to find out about a role I decided not to apply for based on my relevant skills and experience. The next step was an on-site interview with members of the commercial team and the lab team. They were very nice but some of the interviews were quite unstructured and so it was hard to know what they were trying to find out.

Interview Questions

• What do you think will be the greatest challenges in the first three months?   Answer Question
    • What do you think is the role of the consultant?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?   Answer Question

Commercial Support Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Synthace (London, England) in July 2019.

Interview

Really enjoyed the flexibility of application at Synthace! I learned about Synthace through glassdoor and friends, which I was particularly attracted to the company culture and the technology. When I applied, I wasn't sure which role suits me the best so we explored and discussed a few ones during the interview process and got offered a role that fits my background and experience.

I had a 5 interviews in total:
    -Phone interview with HR
    -Phone/Video interview with the business development department
    -On-site interview with the commercial team
    -Phone/Video interview with the CCO because he couldn't make it for the on-site interview
    -Video interview with the sales/marketing team

In general, most of the interview questions were to understand my experience, motivations (for Synthace and career), personality and to set up expectation of working in commercial team in a startup -- I thoroughly enjoyed the conversations with my interviewers and they seemed nice and smart (just as other reviews mentioned) ;)

The whole process was slightly slower than usual but it is understandable as the HR is quite small (2 ppl) packed with lots of work plus one of them was on holiday, but it's quicker than some other corporates already.

Interview Questions

Synthace Response

9 Jul 2019 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your experience. We're always aiming to improve, and we'll continue to look at how we can reduce the time taken to get through the overall process.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.