Thought Machine Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Thought Machine

1. Featured Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thought Machine (London, England) in January 2020.

Interview

Initially I had a 30 minute hangouts call with an engineer, this seemed to be just to gauge interest in the company/ that you were friendly.

Next, I had 48hrs to complete a coding challenge in python/go or java. This took around 3-5 hours and I had a chance to delay my receiving of the challenge in case I was busy.

I was invited to an onsite a few days afterwards. This consisted of 3 rounds:
    - Code review
    - 2 algorithms and data structures questions (was told one of these would be system design if I was a more experienced hire). Code was written on a whiteboard.

I tripped up a little on the algorithms but the interviewers helped guide me to a solution.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you can answer some simple but moderate difficulty algorithm/ ds style questions.   Answer Question

21 Feb 2020 – Director of Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback!

Applications Support Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Thought Machine.

Interview

Was contacted by a member of the recruitment team via a phone call. We discussed the role and the company. I was told I had one of the stronger profiles. I was invited to their first interview stage which is essentially a social gathering to meet other applicants and existing members. I was then sent a coding test to do within 48 hours. After completing it, it's been over 2 weeks and I've not heard back (despite emailing them, asking if there was an update). This was a big shame as I liked the look of the company and their culture, so to put in the effort during the test and to not even here back was disappointing. Thought machine isn't the biggest company in the world so there should be no excuse to tell an applicant if they've been successful or unsuccessful

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult. Just discussed current responsibilities   Answer Question

2 Mar 2020 – Director of Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback, and I am very sorry that you have had a poor experience. We rarely use recruitment agencies for this reason. I would love the opportunity to speak with you directly, please contact Alex Duffy from the Recruitment team if you are open to discussing this in more detail. Thanks!

Backend Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Thought Machine (London, England) in December 2019.

Interview

First stage is an invitation to the company to learn about more about them and their products
    Second stage is coding challenge which I got 48 hours to solve and submit
    I got invited for the 3-part final stage based on my code submission: the first part is discussing the solution I submitted. The second part is Algorithms and the last part is Systems Design.
    The final outcome/feedback was communicated to me in a week

Interview Questions

• Take home challenge was to implement an auction house. Around 80% of the constraints were given. A sample input and output was also provided   1 Answer
    • Algorithm Design stage: classifying a set of items in to specific groups by looking at another stream of data.   1 Answer
    • System Design stage: An ambiguous objective, in my case - searching from a web browser and I had to design a back end system for it   1 Answer

21 Feb 2020 – Director of Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback!

Cloud Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thought Machine (London, England) in December 2019.

Interview

First: meet and greet with the team - this is essentially a marketing exercise whereby, knowing that most candidates won't make the cut, they can manage to advertise themselves as a company

Second: Coding challenge, in Python or Go.

Give that the meet and greet took 3-4 hours, and with travelling time, even more. And the coding challenge took 10-12 hours, this was a time consuming process given that there is no feedback provided throughout the whole interview, and the coding challenge can be failed despite delivering functioning code.

Interview Questions

• The coding challenge consisted of writing a CLI tool for a mock up set of microservices. You run their code - which is basically a server that you curl the requested information for - and they have a list of 4 deliverables for what your code must do, e.g. list out the status of services and provide a corresponding healthcheck based on CPU usage, etc.

The coding challenge isn't "hard" per se, but time consuming in that you need to write a lot of code to manipulate the data and present it back in a readable format.   1 Answer

21 Feb 2020 – Director of Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback. The purpose of our open evenings is for candidates to be able to check us out, find out more about what we are doing and meet the team, before committing time to our interview process. This is not an essential part of the interview, and we have an alternative process for anyone who are unable to attend an open evening. Apologies if the recruitment agency didn't make this clear to you. Thank you for your time and interest in Thought Machine.

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thought Machine (London, England) in October 2019.

Interview

Classic 'Cracking the Coding Interview' process.

1) quick telephone screening with the recruiter.

2) networking event to check you're human.

3) technical code challenge.

4) half day 3 rounds interviews:
           - Code review
           - Systems design
           - Whiteboard Algos

They're a young company, everyone I interviewed with seemed under 30. Varying interview styles ranging from 'gladiatorial' to quite pleasant.

Recruiter had great comms, and good feedback.

Interview Questions

Thought Machine Response

21 Feb 2020 – Director of Recruitment

Thank you for your time and interest in Thought Machine.

Pre-Sales Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Thought Machine (London, England) in August 2019.

Interview

It is roughly a 3-hours interview for the position. The first part is for you to present a selected topic in front of the sales team. The second part is to have a chat with the head. The third party is to have a chat with other sales.

The interview process is very standard. The main issue I have experienced is that their HR is very unprofessional. No response or a result email at all after the interview process.

Interview Questions

Thought Machine Response

21 Feb 2020 – Director of Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback, and we are very sorry that you experienced slow feedback after your interview.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thought Machine in July 2019.

Interview

First stage was an informal meet and greet and the company's office in the evening to speak with current employees and get a feel for the company culture. It was a busy event with roughly 30 candidates and 5-6 employees.

Next stage was a take-home test to complete within 48 hours. The test instructions explain that you are to build a web application using tools of your choice as long as it compiles down to HTML/CSS/JS.

The final stage is a face to face interview over 3 hours split into 2 parts.
    A code review, an algorithms interview (Big O notation) and a system design interview on a whiteboard.

Interview Questions

Thought Machine Response

21 Feb 2020 – Director of Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback! We usually have 1 employee for every 2 candidates that attend the open evening, apologies that it wasn't the case when you met with us. Thank you for your time and interest in Thought Machine!

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Thought Machine (London, England) in May 2019.

Interview

The first part of the interview was great. Meet the team, meet other candidates for the same and different roles all in a social setting with a beer. All that went well and I was selected to move onto the technical test.....

Overall it would have been a positive experience, but soured somewhat when the SRE role became a Developer role 2 days after working for them for free.

Interview Questions

• The technical test was, within the next 48 hours write a python script that can retrieve, process and display information from a micro service that was provided.   1 Answer

30 Jan 2020 – Director of Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback. When hiring for SREs, we look for engineers who have both operational and programming skills. Our SREs work closely with the engineering team, where a solid foundation in software development is required. We appreciate your time and interest in Thought Machine.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Thought Machine in May 2019.

Interview

Phone screen, social event where everyone was surprisingly nice, just a relaxed drinks evening where the employees made an effort to get to know you and seemed to genuinely enjoy being at the company.

A technical task that is tough for a less experienced engineer.

In-person: 3 hours with no real breaks, for me spread over lunch time so I was pretty tired/unfocused by the last one.

Everyone was very nice, warm and encouraging, especially the HR contact.

The last interview included a guy who sighed audibly while I was thinking through a whiteboard problem, incorrectly interrupted me (he didn't seem to know JavaScript very well) and then fell into disagreement with his colleague. His colleague was very nice but also patronising in the way he posed questions. Both went on their phones during the interview.

Other than the last interview it was a positive experience with feedback afterwards.

Interview Questions

Thought Machine Response

30 Jan 2020 – Director of Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback, it is really appreciated. We will ensure that your concerns are addressed with the team.

Head of Quality Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thought Machine (London, England) in May 2019.

Interview

Initially was good although I very quickly had to start chasing the person who approached me on this. I understand they have internal recruitment arrangements.

The technical test on premise was a good one, but not ideal they ask you to point at InstaGrams login page. Not sure InstaGram would be happy with that

My negative experience is I have not received any feedback or information following the interview. I gave up after 2 weeks of chasing and waiting.

Interview Questions

• (Paraphrased) "Your coding experience is not with Python, How will you be able to contribute to the automation frameworks?"   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.