Thought Machine Reviews

Updated 18 Mar 2021

4.6
Thought Machine CEO Paul Taylor
Paul Taylor
Pros
  • "Work with a cutting edge company trying to solve(in 10 reviews)

• "The greatest thing about Thought Machine is its people(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work from home policy (pre-covid) wasn't encouraged(in 7 reviews)

• "Work loads can vary and very client driven, but still within working hours to help manage a good work life balance(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Too Good to be True?

11 Mar 2021 - Back End Engineer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

* company atmosphere is amazing, its like a family as opposed to the more sterile corporate environments out there. * people here are great, everyone i have encountered is friendly, helpful and great to work with * company benefits are great. Don't expect a private jet, but there are definitely some nice perks. Believe me, i have worked elsewhere, where the only perk was the "privilege" to work there, so going from nothing to this ... truly appreciative * Management seem more grounded and approachable. There is consistent feedback from the CEO and other members of the team, as well as company updates etc... Makes me definitely feel more like a true member of the family. *the tech and genius minds around the company are great and definitely a pro, having people like this around me is definitely upping my game and helping me grow *Diversity and inclusivity is a big thing here and i think Thought Machine has hit the nail on the head with the balance, everyone is looked after and catered for

Cons

* none so far that I can think of

2 people found this review helpful

Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear that your experience to date has been a positive one. As you mentioned, we are looking at new ways to continue to attract and retain diverse talent and ensure that as we grow, we maintain the culture that has made us successful!

2. 3.0
      Current Employee

Lacks vision and ambition

23 Jan 2021 - Back End Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Modern tech stack. Co-workers are highly skilled, and genuinely care about writing high-quality code. Middle management may not be the most experienced, but in my experience they're very in-touch with rank and file employees and are highly competent technically. There's still innovation on the technical aspects of the job, and the codebase (which may not be cleanest) in improving fast.

Cons

Upper management has no real ambition to build a better product. It feels like they think everything revolutionary has already been invented, and now they're happy to just collect consulting revenue from big banks. There seems to be no ambition to "level up" the product or to re-invent anything in an outdated sector, which is ironic considering that's exactly what our marketing materials drum up. HR is toxic and essentially demands employees to use their private social media to share company updates. When you see employees share the same, HR-written articles in their LinkedIn, now you know why they did that.

2 people found this review helpful

Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review. We were saddened to read your feedback and welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns and comments directly. We take pride in ensuring Thought Machine has a positive and inclusive culture with a product that we are proud of. Please reach out to the HR team if you would like to discuss this further.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing company to work for

31 Jul 2020 - Site Reliability Engineer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Strong focus on having a great engineering culture. Code reviews are very thorough and the feedback is always constructive. Good quality solutions are favoured instead of quick fixes. - Contributing to open source projects is encouraged whenever it makes sense. - Everyone is always available to help, despite the fact the pretty much the entire company is still working from home. More often then not people just jump into a call either to brainstorm, do pair programming or to clarify something. - During the probation period you do 2 rotations in teams of your choice. Also, the probation period is a chance for you to learn as much as you can, not so much about meeting crazy KPIs like some companies do. - Great work life balance. Working during the weekend or extra long hours is discouraged. And yet, everyone is super productive and highly motivated. - They really care about you as an individual and about your wellbeing. - Salary and benefits

Cons

- The first few weeks may feel a bit overwhelming, due to the amount of academies, courses and things to read. You’ll learn a lot in a short amount of time, though. - The team rotations can cripple some teams in terms of size temporarily, putting extra pressure on those members if there is a high volume of work.

4. 5.0

Amazing place to work

7 Jan 2021 - Client Delivery Associate in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work with a cutting edge company trying to solve cutting-edge problems Refreshing and unique company culture, very transparent and flat. New employees are encouraged to contribute and challenge. Huge emphasis on learning and development with an academy programme with extremely supportive colleagues. Employees are very much encouraged to be themselves and engage in numerous activities beyond work

Cons

Core banking software is very complex, particularly for non-technical roles it can be hard to get your head around. Though the learning tools, processes and documentation have improved it takes a great deal of commitment to learn it which can be made harder by remote-working

Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback to us! We are pleased to hear that you are enjoying your first year with us. We continue to look at ways to improve our employees knowledge without it being overwhelming so appreciate your comments.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work with smart people and an interesting problem to solve

25 May 2020 - Backend Engineer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work. Lots of smart people who don't mind helping and sharing knowledge. You get a sense that everyone is in this together. Interesting problem to solve with a lot of clever solutions to problems. Lots of events and clubs you can join. I particularly enjoy the capture the flag events that happen once per month. Lunch roulette is also great. Once per month everyone is split into random teams and sent out to have lunch together. You get to know a lot of people this way and it is optional. Lots of opportunities to learn new things while working. Solutions are chosen based on everyone's feedback. Big changes are designed, discussed and peer reviewed before implementation begins so you know what the goal is and how it will look.

Cons

Distinctly negative view on working from home. Sometimes you get the impression that employee free time isn't respected (social events usually happen outside of office hours, sometimes you have to work outside of office hours to meet deadlines). Not enough time devoted to solving tech debt. It is sometimes frustrating to work with other teams. For the most part it is fine, however, on some rare occasions other teams won't listen which can lead to additional work being required later on down the road.

3 people found this review helpful

Head of HR - EMEA

Thank you for providing such detailed feedback. It is great to hear all your positive feedback on sense of togetherness, learning opportunities and our philosophy when it comes to finding solutions in our work. Work-life balance is important, there are times when we put in extra hours to meet a deadline but this should not be all the time, do please come and have a chat to us in HR as it's crucial that people are able to strike the right balance between work and home life. We recently had feedback that our weekly wrap up meeting on Fridays impacted people's own time so we have now moved this forward to make sure we try to respect people’s home life. We do have flexible working and people are able to flex their hours to suit them, we look at home working on a case by case basis rather than a catch-all approach. The current situation, with everyone being remote, has certainly put a spotlight on working from home so it is something we are reviewing. Please do contact us so we can discuss your feedback further on HR@thoughtmachine.net

6. 5.0

Fast Pace and Interesting Challenges

27 Jan 2021 - Technical Analyst in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great open culture, very diverse and inclusive across all functions and all locations. Plenty of opportunity to tackle interesting challenges relating to cloud technology at scale. Great compensation, benefits, and good efforts in general are made to accommodate individual employee needs.

Cons

Company is expanding rapidly in both product offering and geographically - I hope the pace can be well managed but there are occasional gaps between the regions.

1 person found this review helpful

Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that you are enjoying your time with us. Please keep the feedback coming - we are looking at ways to ensure we work well as a global organisation and hope these occasional gaps will disappear!

7. 5.0

Amazing Place To Work

11 Jan 2021 - Technical Analyst in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Open and transparent culture, allowing everyone to pull in the same direction - Working with cutting edge technologies, and plenty of opportunities and support to learn - Feeling of equality within the company no matter your background or experience - Seems a lot of effort is made to make it a great place to work - Bright future ahead

Cons

Intense onboarding process but it does get you up to speed quickly and contributing.

Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that your first year is going well. We appreciate the feedback around onboarding and it is something that we are reviewing in 2021.

8. 4.0

Great place

24 Feb 2021 - Business Analyst in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very good senior manager Transparent Strong engineering Great team dynamic

Cons

I feel the culture has diluted with the team expanded so quickly and perhaps working from home hasn't helped either Some of the perks we used to have are also gone. Food and parties...etc Loooong working hours

9. 2.0

Could do much better

11 Nov 2020 - Backend Engineer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cutting edge technology. Friendly team. Adapted very well to the challenges of Covid and working from home. (The IT team in particular were awesome in getting everything up and running at very short notice.) Salary and benefits are good.

Cons

Lack of experience and talent at the top of Engineering mean we're constantly over promising and under delivering which is really depressing given how hard everyone works. Unrealistic deadlines and work promised to clients mean lots of very long hours and people on the verge of burnout. Also lots of promises that after the next release things will improve. They don't. Serious issues with how women in Engineering are treated. (Don't know about other departments.) I've seen them talked over, ignored and undermined and much greater weight given to the views of inexperienced men than more experienced women. I discouraged a female friend from applying as it's toxic.

5 people found this review helpful

Chief People Officer

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. As you can imagine, this review is concerning for us and I would really like to have the opportunity to discuss further with you. Please reach out to me if you are open to this. Ensuring that we have an inclusive environment for employees is really important to the Company and we are shortly going to be rolling out some initiatives, partnerships and education to support our D and I vision. It is important that everyone has a voice at Thought Machine and we will be looking at ways to further this. We have added a number of people to our team this year and doubled in size to ensure that our business is supported correctly. We continue to review this on a regular basis; however thank you for flagging to us to look into further.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Fantastic company

20 Jan 2021 - Technical Analyst in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

TM is my current employer and my first after graduating. The culture is fantastic, the people are kind and intelligent. I couldn't recommend more.

Cons

I've had a fantastic time at TM to the point I can't fault it.

1 person found this review helpful

Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review. We are really glad to hear that your experience at Thought Machine has been a positive and enjoyable one. We are looking forward to your career developing with us!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 90 Reviews