Thought Machine Reviews

4.7
Thought Machine CEO Paul Taylor
Paul Taylor
Pros
Cons
  • "Work from home policy (pre-covid) wasn't encouraged(in 7 reviews)

• "High level of growth is exciting, but can lead to temporary growing pains(in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Ambitious and talented engineering team"

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Thought Machine full-time for less than a year

Pros

- There has been significant effort put into hiring talented engineers over the past year and it really shows in how well staffed the infrastructure teams are. This means you will have a good breadth of skills across your team, and strong technical leadership. - The rapid growth in engineering means there is opportunity to grow individually into a technical specialization or a leadership role. - There is a positive culture towards engineering good solutions, rather than pushing a 'quick fix' out the door. I've always had support from my manager to do things the 'right way'. - Thought Machine works hard to create a welcoming environment for new joiners. Weekly socials, clubs and regular events make you quickly feel part of the team.

Cons

- Rapid growth has meant sometimes only a small number of people in the organisation know how something works. This can be a frustrating bottleneck, but is gradually improving.

October 15, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. It's great to see that you are having a positive experience and that the company really is living our culture of Engineering quality. We encourage you to give feedback around the bottlenecks and ways we can improve these to your line manager or our CTO.

"Great company, great culture"

Current Employee - Client Services in London, England

I have been working at Thought Machine full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very few layers of management, senior engineers are very engaged in the day to day operations of the business and are involved in Academy sessions for new staff. Lots of learning opportunity and people move into engagements when they are fully ready and not before. Everybody works hard and it is a super supportive environment.

Cons

Bureaucratic for a small company, lots of paperwork to get anything done. Managers at the mid level are not very experienced and lack industry experience.

3. COVID-19

"Innovative and encouraging environment, great place to work!"

Current Employee - Client Delivery Manager in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Thought Machine full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great culture, very open and honest. - Everyone is very friendly - Strong work life balance focus - Interesting work, challenging the norms of the industry in an area crying out for innovation - Lots of clients working with us now, and good pipeline of activity. Has huge potential

Cons

- Work from home policy (pre-covid) wasn't encouraged. Hopefully that will change now - Work loads can vary and very client driven, but still within working hours to help manage a good work life balance

Continue reading

"Thought Machine is the company to be in if you want to work in FinTech!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer() in London, England

I have been working at Thought Machine full-time for less than a year

Pros

- The Company is adamant about high-quality engineering - Using the latest technologies gives you the advantage in the market for the future prospects - Very ambitious and complex project that will only grow

Cons

Fast-paced and growing environment puts high demands on you in every aspect and occasional over-time is necessary.

5. "Fantastic company with smart people from top to bottom"

Current Employee - Program Manager in London, England

I have been working at Thought Machine full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing company benefits. Really REALLY look after their staff in terms of salary, mental and physical health and the company values are being exceeded constantly.

Cons

The office location isn't the best, but now most people are working from home, it's not a big issue.

Continue reading

"Decent Company to work for"

4.0
    Current Employee - Back End Engineer in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Thought Machine full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly environment. The niceness of thought machine has an element of strategy to it (it's something they really sell themselves on when you apply), but it's not completely superficial. It really is a nice working environment, and they do value nice people. Generally high emphasis on quality of code (though there are some cracks). Learning and self development encouraged. Lots of smart developers to learn from. There are opportunities to move up the ranks, and there is space for people who just want to get on with their work. In my experience they are overall understanding of people being human beings and having different needs. Management take questions from staff, and we do see them changing their direction (a bit) in reponse to our concerns. Good Salaries.

Cons

Occasional time pressure, not always, but when a big client demands something they cave pretty quickly. Definite growing pains, demand exceeds capacity most of the time. The company is in a constant push to hire more engineers, which is cool, but new engineers take time to train and it just doesn't seem like we can scale capacity at the rate the management wants us to. Writing a core banking system isn't the most interesting problem out there. The team based structure is fine until you realise that to get anything done you have to assign a team to it. And then you understand why we have so many teams. Changes are sometimes announced with not a lot of warning. I don't mean like mass firings, but like restructuring of work division.

Continue reading

"Great place to work with smart people and an interesting problem to solve"

Current Employee - Backend Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Thought Machine full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work. Lots of smart people who don't mind helping and sharing knowledge. You get a sense that everyone is in this together. Interesting problem to solve with a lot of clever solutions to problems. Lots of events and clubs you can join. I particularly enjoy the capture the flag events that happen once per month. Lunch roulette is also great. Once per month everyone is split into random teams and sent out to have lunch together. You get to know a lot of people this way and it is optional. Lots of opportunities to learn new things while working. Solutions are chosen based on everyone's feedback. Big changes are designed, discussed and peer reviewed before implementation begins so you know what the goal is and how it will look.

Cons

Distinctly negative view on working from home. Sometimes you get the impression that employee free time isn't respected (social events usually happen outside of office hours, sometimes you have to work outside of office hours to meet deadlines). Not enough time devoted to solving tech debt. It is sometimes frustrating to work with other teams. For the most part it is fine, however, on some rare occasions other teams won't listen which can lead to additional work being required later on down the road.

June 9, 2020Head of HR - EMEA

Thank you for providing such detailed feedback. It is great to hear all your positive feedback on sense of togetherness, learning opportunities and our philosophy when it comes to finding solutions in our work. Work-life balance is important, there are times when we put in extra hours to meet a deadline but this should not be all the time, do please come and have a chat to us in HR as it's crucial that people are able to strike the right balance between work and home life. We recently had feedback that our weekly wrap up meeting on Fridays impacted people's own time so we have now moved this forward to make sure we try to respect people’s home life. We do have flexible working and people are able to flex their hours to suit them, we look at home working on a case by case basis rather than a catch-all approach. The current situation, with everyone being remote, has certainly put a spotlight on working from home so it is something we are reviewing. Please do contact us so we can discuss your feedback further on HR@thoughtmachine.net

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Thought Machine full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people and company culture are a stand out

Cons

None that I can think of right now

June 9, 2020Head of HR - EMEA

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very proud of both our people and our culture.

"Great engineering, but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Thought Machine full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great quality engineering, lots of modern technologies, many opportunities to learn and develop. Talented and skilled team. Business-wise the company looks very promising (as far as I can tell, I'm just an engineer :P).

Cons

Very low diversity in engineering and it shows in harsh culture. I saw senior women treated like juniors and loud white guys fresh out of uni given leadership and same salaries. Probably not a good place for diverse folks at the moment.

March 12, 2020Head of HR - EMEA

Thank you for your review. It’s great to hear your feedback on the development opportunities and your talented colleagues. I would really appreciate if you could come and have a chat with HR about what you witnessed regarding senior women being treated differently as we absolutely do not want this behavior at Thought Machine. We pay people based solely on performance and the impact they have at Thought Machine. We work hard to ensure that people are paid fairly for their role regardless of gender or any other characteristic. Like many tech companies, we do have work to do on the gender diversity of our staff. So while we do ensure we have equal pay we are working on improving the % of our female population. We do this by targeting a 50/50 split of CVs submitted for roles and people attending our hiring event as well as running specific recruitment campaigns. We are also reviewing our benefits to ensure they appeal to a diverse population.

"Fantastic culture and people working with leading technology"

Current Employee - Client Delivery Manager in London, England

I have been working at Thought Machine full-time for less than a year

Pros

Exec team focus on maintaining a positive culture and investing in top talent is second to none. Technology is leading edge and team strive to deliver the best solutions.

Cons

Company is maturing rapidly and experiencing many things for the first time as a result processes and ways of working are still evolving.

Found 56 reviews