Trafigura Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Trafigura

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Trafigura (Mumbai (India)) in August 2018.

Interview

Structured and Clear . The recruiter was well informed and took me through the entire process swiftly.
    1:1 interviews were lengthy and technical. Pushes you to think harder
    4 rounds - Phone screening,HR face to face,Two technical rounds with businesses

Interview Questions

• Categories of risks involved in crude trading and how to mitigate them   Answer Question

Junior Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Trafigura (Houston, TX (US)) in April 2012.

Interview

Interviewed for Junior Trader Role. It was a first round interview. Second Round would have been in Geneva.

Two interviews. Each with a panel of two current employees, who were mostly traders. It was Saturday. Employees had a full day of non-stop interviews to get through. Three rooms with two interviewers each operated simultaneously.

Aced one interview, but I just could not click with the interviewers in the second room. The first interview I controlled the direction but the second one veered off course, and I could not save it. Partially my fault of course, but also the interviewers were not that great at interviewing either. I was not surprised when I was not selected for the next round, but I felt like with different interviewers I might have been able to convey what a great candidate they were missing out on if they did not choose me.

I was offered no feedback, which I thought was poor form.

Everyone was nice and professional. Jobs at the company are in high demand and they know it.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe in detail the hedges I would implement to protect myself on a cargo of Petroleum bought today for future delivery in one region on local pricing with intention to deliver if by sea to a different region on totally different pricing.   6 Answers

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trafigura (Stamford, CT (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

Got an interview through the local recruiter. Went to in-person interview with the traders first and the with the operations manager. The in interview took about 1.5h. Was asked to go through the resume and elaborate on previous experience.

Analyst Interview

Interview

Generic, four guys asked some bland questions, HR did their usual schtick. It was pretty cut-to-the-chase. They look for a particular fit, either it works or it doesn't. No need for brain teasers and such.

Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Trafigura (Houston, TX (US)).

Interview

Fast-paced, but overall very normal. Interviewed with desk/division heads, then two from graduate program. Lots and lots of interviewees. Pretty popular company around the Houston area. Worth checking out some of the other companies in the industry, although very few have actual apprenticeship programs like Trafigura.

Interview Questions

• Lots of behavioral questions, a single fermi estimation... mainly behavioral   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Trafigura in October 2018.

Interview

Difficulty level looks similar to e^x as you go down the interview process. Very friendly recruiters, interviewers, global heads and traders. You can learn something from them. You can thrive in Trafi if you are eager to create opportunities for yourself and work HARD. Only accept top grads in the world, so be prepared. If you want to invest in your potential and future as well as taking some risks and fun in life, this is the place.

Interview Questions

• Prepare for every scenarios you have in mind for questions in later rounds.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Trafigura (Stamford, CT (US)) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied Online. Heard back after about a month. They called me and began conducting a phone interview right away. Questions asked about physical risks in transporting oil from Africa to USA, why I wanted to work at Trafigura, if offered a position in South Afrrica or Mongolia which would I take and why, etc. I was slightly unprepared for the phone screen but received an offer to interview in Stamford office anyway. In-Person interview consisted of meeting with 2 younger employees and 2 more senior level employees. No unexpected questions, more of a conversation. 2 younger employees were very friendly and welcoming. I got the feeling they just wanted to make sure they'd be comfortable working with me. 2 senior employees were a bit more difficult. They didn't ask any technical questions, but they were much colder to me than the other 2 interviewers.
    I feel I didn't get the job because I didn't have a strong conversation with the more senior employees. HR was very prompt and told me within 24 hours after the interview that I would not be advancing to the 2nd round.

Interview Questions

• Tell me specifically the risks associated with transporting oil from Africa to USA.   1 Answer

Graduate Program Interview

Interview

Applied through college career website. Was contacted by HR via phone for first round screening in October, then went through two rounds of in person interviews (one in Stamford one in Houston). Each in person interview included two 30 min interviews, most of which were fit questions (what's your greatest weakness etc). Second round included several technical questions about hedging physical positions.

Interview Questions

• How many cans of coke can fit in one tanker?   4 Answers

Graduate Program Interview

Interview

Applied to Shanghai office. 2 panel interviews with managers and senior traders. Interviewers appeared very unprofessional. The organization of the interview process is a disaster. Some of the interviewers looked like they had no clue what they were supposed to ask. In many cases I had to think of questions to keep the conversation going. I failed to demonstrate my competencies because of the poor questions asked by the recruiter. After two rounds of interview, they told me I had been unsuccessful, asked me to transfer to the local programme which basically is grinding in the back office. Feels like they were banking on me to be transferred the whole time. terrible experience. The HR people from Geneva were nice though, but not really helpful.

Interview Questions

• Explain what contango means and how can Trafigura profit from this.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Trafigura (Stamford, CT (US)) in October 2012.

Interview

Online application. Then got a phone screen from Geneva office. Moved onto the 1st round on-site interview at Stamford.

Interview Questions

• How would you estimate the MtM value of e.g. oil product?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Trafigura (Stamford, CT (US)) in October 2018.

Interview

Applied online for location in Shanghai. Got an email in a couple of days and asked to schedule a phone interview with me. Phone interview consisted of two questions: one self-intro and one risk-related. 1st round was based on mostly behavioral questions and 2nd round needed to deliver a presentation and was asked extensively on technical questions. Need to be very familiar with what's going on during the process of physical trading and risks involved. Tough questions. HR was nice but the interviewers on 2nd round are not responding and there is one global head from Shanghai who was tough and unrespectful.

Interview Questions

• Risks of buying a cargo in Nigeria, some questions based on presentation contents.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.