Trainline Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Trainline Interview Questions

Updated 13 Sep 2018

2.9

Agile Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trainline.

Interview

First we had phone call with HR recruiter.

And after all process handled by email.

I did not understand why they use gmail but not company mail.

After they send me code to review and refactor by email.

Read me file was not so perfect.

They just attached codes to email as rar file :)

No git :)

I sent them code with git link.

They asnwer was negative.One of reasons was no test .

But I said read me file where they put tasks was not so perfect.

In read me file it exatly says just refactor and put review to two file and no need to change any other.

So process is good but I do not think they review codes so carefully.

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trainline (London, England) in May 2015.

Interview

1. online test, they asked me 10 technical questions and then asked me for coding for a specific requirement
    2. pair coding, they invite me to their office for pair coding.
    3. interview with manager, just other stupid questions.

Agile Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Trainline in May 2015.

Interview

Pre-screening - the have you download a sample project. You are then asked to review the code and note what you would change, recommend, or be wary of; and then implement those changes.

If successful, there is a phone interview with HR.

If sucussful, you are invited on-site to pair-program with another developer, who will look at your code submission earlier and discuss why you made certain choices. They will ask for various extensions to be made, which you work through together.

Agile Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trainline.

Interview

I got introduced to thetrainline.com through a recruiter. After reviewing my CV they wanted to know more through email about my experience with Agile. I answered with 5/6 lines replies to each of their 4 questions and they came back with more questions about agile and so this time I replied with 30/40 lines per question.

Next I got scheduled for a first phone interview where I was asked a few technical questions (not too difficult) and again I was requested to explain how I work in an agile way in my current company (all over again with the same questions I had already replied in detail on my email).

After this step I got assigned some code to comment on and improve with unit tests, etc... I completed the excercise the same day and posted to their shared repository. Nothing too difficult, there were clear design issues with the implementation.

A few days later I was notified by the recruiter that they didn't like my solution so they would not proceed further. I was a bit surprised, I asked for more details from thetrainline.com but were offered none.

In the emails that we exchanged (through the recruiter) they managed to misspell both my first name and my surname, which I've found a bit careless on their side.

Interview Questions

• I didn't get to the face to face interview. The phone screening questions were fairly standard about OO, database, data structures.   Answer Question

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Trainline (London, England) in December 2010.

Interview

Intial communication was good. Handled by a contractor. First interview was with CIO and HR and was well run and well organised. 2nd Interview was with 2 potential peers. Well organised and fair interview. Not sure they knew what they were looking for, though.

They didn't spend much time explaining and selling the benefits of the role to me, just questioned me closely on Agile methodology: Unit tests, SCRUM, etc.

I don't mind that I wasn't offered the job. However, because they are recruiting directly, I had great difficulties in getting updates. I have had to follow up weekly to find out the status and I feel this does not reflect well on the company.

Interview Questions

• How would you use unit testing   1 Answer
    • Is using Agile better for new developments or changes to existing?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Trainline.

Interview

Offered job by a recruiter. Was asked to refactor some code and push into git repository. Felt like I did a good job but did not pass. No feedback with details was provided to learn from the process.

Web Applications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Trainline (London, England) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied via LinkedIN, received a phone call few hours later then invited for face to face interview few days later.
    One to One very informal with a guy that showed a lack in interest from the beginning, he was yawning while I was talking, that should say it all... Despite that the guy told me that the test I was supposed to do as part of the interview was not necessary as I obviously knew my stuff.. then they didn't want to progress?? not very consistent...

Interview Questions

• Management style, and usual questions..
      What you would do if you were the CTO?   Answer Question

Marketing Team Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Trainline (London, England) in February 2016.

Interview

I had three stages, a phone call, a face to face and then a second face to face with a presentation and one to one with one of the exec team. I found the interview process to be very accommodating of the fact I was currently in a job. The recruiter from Trainline made a considered effort to make sure I was prepared and knew what to expect from each stage.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my GCSE results, which was unexpected.   Answer Question

Management Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Trainline (London, England) in November 2013.

Interview

Initial communication was good after applying - 2 or 3 days after submitting application I was offered a telephone interview, and after a few emails back and forth this was arranged at a mutually convenient time. The interview was conducted by the Line Manager for the role who had only a few questions and they were basic - why do you want this role, tell me about your experience / current role, why do you want to leave current role, all the usual basic stuff. Interview lasted only around 20 mins and seemed to go well. He asked when I would be available for a face to face interview, my notice period and salary etc... Then things became quite frustrating. After 5 days I had heard nothing and so emailed the HR team asked for an update. There was no reply to this email. I then sent another email a further week later (clearly not expecting to have got the job but frustrated at the lack of courtesy) and again this received no reply. A week after this and purely due to the discourtesy of receiving no reply to the previous emails when I had taken time to prepare for and take a telephone interview, I emailed again. Finally, I got some reply, which as expected, was not positive. They had decided to progress with another candidate though they had no negative feedback from my interview to give. At least I knew there was still someone alive in the HR team! I am frankly relieved that I didn't get further and take a role at thetrainline.com from my dealings with them they appear unprofessional and discourteous and I am glad I found that out now. I wouldn't recommend others to bother with them.

Interview Questions

• Isn't this role a step down? Why would you want to do that?   1 Answer

Technical Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Trainline (London, England) in July 2013.

Interview

Telephone Interview by a relatively clueless HR woman, I think she was just checking off a list of keywords that I was supposed to say (but didn't). Apparently 5 years of Agile is "not enough". I didn't get much out of the interview and I was a little offended that I wasn't being asked by a technical interview - it just makes me think they don't care about their hiring process. To their credit they are supposed to have a nice working atmosphere with no job titles just a meritocratic structure, but I'm wondering now if that's just a nice way to sidestep any responsibilities when it comes to promoting people and career progression.

Interview Questions

• How would you plan a user-journey?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.