Trainline Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Trainline Interview Questions

Interviews at Trainline

2.8

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Trainline.

Interview

The first part was a phone interview with an HR Partner, followed by an in-person interview with another BA, the hiring manager, and the Product Manager for the space. The process was pretty efficient.

Interview Questions

• Tell my about your work experience.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Trainline (London, England) in August 2020.

Interview

Informal session with a team lead and his line manager. Questions covered a background of what I did and several questions about the tech I used. I described everything in as much depth as I could so that we wouldn't go over time, we reached the maximum time of the hour slot that was booked. They seemed very focused on API work specifically, there was only one question I was unsure of but felt the interview went well. I asked them further questions about the role.
    Didn't get any feedback until I pushed for it. Feedback wasn't accurate at all and said I was weak in areas which weren't even questioned.
    I asked the interviewers about their microservice architecture/infrastructure at the end of the interview and they were very vague and clearly lacked knowledge there. Part of the feedback I got was that they were very impressed with my Docker/Kubernetes experience, but also went on to say that I wasn't familiar with microservice architectures. I found this quite strange.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Trainline (London, England) in July 2020.

Interview

The first technical interview is somehow an insult to a developer where these two guys start asking a lot of theory questions and at the start, they mention that they don't expect anyone to know the answers to every question but they will reject you specifically for this reason.

Unfortunately, it seems like they deliberately go after some software development terms and expressions, that although you would use them a lot as a developer, you have not heard of them specifically.

They don't give you a chance to actually implement a task and assess for example your coding style or paying attention to principles such as SOLID.

My advice to the interview team is to give a chance to applicants to express themselves by actually implementing a task and stop asking stupid questions. You won't hire a good developer this way.

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trainline in June 2020.

Interview

Chat with HR, Interview with Manager & Analyst.
    Got told that I was declined because I didn't have the tech they were looking for. Don't know why they interviewed me when my CV clearly states what I've worked on. I think they just didn't want to say that my personality didn't suit them. Disappointing as they seemed nice.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Trainline (London, England) in March 2020.

Interview

Hiring Manager or officer mailed me to arrange an interview. We decided a day. She didnt share connection info. I shared my connection info(skype and phone number) before the interview day. Then she pushed to interview day to next day because she was busy??. And next day she didn't call me. There is no mail and there is no information call.
    Maybe they should care about their candidates.

Interview Questions

• I expected to classical hr interview. But she didn't call me.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Trainline.

Interview

Initial interview over the phone with 2 members of the team. General interview questions alongside specific experience/technical questions. All in all took around 1 hour, with opportunity for additional questions about the role.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trainline (London, England) in January 2020.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via Hired.

Had a couple of initial rounds with the recruiter and the hiring manager and a more in depth round on site.

After the on site, I didn’t receive any feedback. They just moved me into no hire in the Hired platform without a single word. I only realised it because my hired account manager told me about it.

The whole experience wasn’t particularly bad. But the complete lack of feedback or at least direct communication at the end didn’t leave a good image.

Tech Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trainline (London, England) in January 2020.

Interview

Initial call after being approached on Hired. Friendly chat and sent a test. Did the test, they quite like it bar a couple of minor points. Was invited for a 2 part F2F interview in their offices where a small coding 'test' took place, a whiteboard application design test as well as a cultural part later.

While the people were lovely, young and very friendly, their feedback (negative, came many days later) was not realistic. The problem is, they put 4 extremely bad, entry level, problematic pieces of code that no-one in their right mind would ever write in the history of the world, then expect you to know what they will produce, when in their own words 'don't worry' nobody gets them right, even we didn't when we interviewed'.

So, the 2 negative points of feedback based on which they didn't want to go on with hiring me, was that i did not know for sure how the ancient, nobody-knows-how-it-works-neither-do-we will behave and that i tried to solve things my way, on the whiteboard test...

2 issues here. When you write deliberately bad tests, to 'trick' people, you get the short end of the stick. I have loads of working, real life experience to help others while mentoring, basing your decisions on outdated coding snippets you found 5 minutes before the coding test on google's first results won't cut it. Suggestion: ask the 'right' stuff. See if people know the advanced bits, the current bits. Non working code scenarios only work as tricks.

Second issue, this is a Leadership position. Yet the problem with the whiteboard was that i took charge and solved something my way, rather than asking for guidance. I think the reviewers thought this is a junior, middleweight or senior role. Shame. On the flip side, my solution was one that the person interviewing did not think before and she told me so.

All in all, a company i like, but an interview that left a really bad taste in my mouth. If you are an engineer and are flooded by job specs, put the trainline at the bottom of your list. Sad, but true.

Interview Questions

• How do you resolve a bad situation at work with a person you are managing?   1 Answer

Incident Manager Interview

Interview

I applied online and was contacted shortly after.
    The recruiter was very professional throughout the whole process and I have nothing but good things to say about him.
    Got to second and third round but unfortunately didn't get
    the job. Nevertheless was a very good experience and I would recommend and apply again.

Interview Questions

• Background questions; Why would you want to work witj trainline; Skills based questions.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trainline (London, England) in July 2019.

Interview

Was approached by a recruiter on LinkedIn. A phone interview with an Engineering Manager was arranged for a few days later. This was pleasant enough. I was invited for a face-to-face interview a few days after that.

The interview was 2 parts. A tech part and a "culture" part. The tech part was also split into 2 parts and was carried out by the same person who did the phone interview. A basic code test which involved writing a small service to calculate something and a test to cover it. This was fairly basic and not pressured. In fact, it was fairly collaborative and a nice experience. There was then 30 minutes or so on general distributed systems design. I felt this also went well and I built up a good rapport with him.

The culture interview was not so good. To be fair I'm not very experienced at these types of things, but it was full of fairly wishy-washy questions (describe a time you had to deal with a difficult person etc). I think this was where I fell down a bit and I did not receive an offer.

I was a little relieved actually. Whilst the offices are nice from the outside and the common areas looked good, people looked really crammed in once inside.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult person.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.