Trainline Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Trainline Interview Questions

Updated 13 Sep 2018

2.9

Agile Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Trainline in May 2015.

Interview

Pre-screening - the have you download a sample project. You are then asked to review the code and note what you would change, recommend, or be wary of; and then implement those changes.

If successful, there is a phone interview with HR.

If sucussful, you are invited on-site to pair-program with another developer, who will look at your code submission earlier and discuss why you made certain choices. They will ask for various extensions to be made, which you work through together.

Agile Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trainline.

Interview

First we had phone call with HR recruiter.

And after all process handled by email.

I did not understand why they use gmail but not company mail.

After they send me code to review and refactor by email.

Read me file was not so perfect.

They just attached codes to email as rar file :)

No git :)

I sent them code with git link.

They asnwer was negative.One of reasons was no test .

But I said read me file where they put tasks was not so perfect.

In read me file it exatly says just refactor and put review to two file and no need to change any other.

So process is good but I do not think they review codes so carefully.

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trainline (London, England) in May 2015.

Interview

1. online test, they asked me 10 technical questions and then asked me for coding for a specific requirement
    2. pair coding, they invite me to their office for pair coding.
    3. interview with manager, just other stupid questions.

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Trainline (London, England) in December 2010.

Interview

Intial communication was good. Handled by a contractor. First interview was with CIO and HR and was well run and well organised. 2nd Interview was with 2 potential peers. Well organised and fair interview. Not sure they knew what they were looking for, though.

They didn't spend much time explaining and selling the benefits of the role to me, just questioned me closely on Agile methodology: Unit tests, SCRUM, etc.

I don't mind that I wasn't offered the job. However, because they are recruiting directly, I had great difficulties in getting updates. I have had to follow up weekly to find out the status and I feel this does not reflect well on the company.

Interview Questions

• How would you use unit testing   1 Answer
    • Is using Agile better for new developments or changes to existing?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Trainline.

Interview

Offered job by a recruiter. Was asked to refactor some code and push into git repository. Felt like I did a good job but did not pass. No feedback with details was provided to learn from the process.

Web Applications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Trainline (London, England) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied via LinkedIN, received a phone call few hours later then invited for face to face interview few days later.
    One to One very informal with a guy that showed a lack in interest from the beginning, he was yawning while I was talking, that should say it all... Despite that the guy told me that the test I was supposed to do as part of the interview was not necessary as I obviously knew my stuff.. then they didn't want to progress?? not very consistent...

Interview Questions

• Management style, and usual questions..
      What you would do if you were the CTO?   Answer Question

.NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Trainline (London, England) in June 2018.

Interview

I applied via an agency. They sent me a tech test which was refactoring a class. I did it very well but they come back with a non constructive feedback which says the code was not at our standard level. but why ? where it was not standard ?
    I think when people spend time and do a test for them they have to respect people and give a feedback, at least a persuasive feedback. This is not fair to say your code was not standard enough.
    Specially at our level, I mean senior, we have our own explanation of choosing a method or an approach they cannot just say it was not standard enough.

Interview Questions

• a code challenge to refactor a class   1 Answer

Marketing Team Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Trainline (London, England) in February 2016.

Interview

I had three stages, a phone call, a face to face and then a second face to face with a presentation and one to one with one of the exec team. I found the interview process to be very accommodating of the fact I was currently in a job. The recruiter from Trainline made a considered effort to make sure I was prepared and knew what to expect from each stage.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my GCSE results, which was unexpected.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Trainline (London, England) in September 2018.

Interview

I was referred by an ex colleague. their recruiter reached out and asked for a tech test.
    the test is about refactoring a solution that has ani-patterns and design errors.
    I submitted the tech test 22 hours after I received it. As the test was good, I was asked for the final interview.

it took 1:30 hours. 30 min with an engineering manager and 1 hour with two senior engineers. the first half was friendly and more around ways of working and technologies in general.
    The second part was just about my CV and what I have done.
    few days later I received an email from the recruiters saying that

unfortunately on this occasion they have decided not to make an offer. They felt I was a good communicator and easy to talk to, however from a technical point of view they felt that I needed a lot of pushing to go deep into the detail of the work I had done and they felt I struggled to go into the nitty-gritty of which problems I had solved which for them was the main concern for a senior position.

It was quite the opposite to what I felt.
    my argument is how possibly you can pass a tech test at a Senior level and you are a good communicator, however; you struggle to go into the detail of what you have done!

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashik (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Trainline (Nashik (India)) in April 2012.

Interview

do your positive attitude and do well fell good and relax for the interview and good knowlege about the subject

Interview Questions

• which company have more risk in the market? and which sector more risk in the market?   1 Answer

Negotiation

your body language and your knowledge

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.