Waterstone's Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Waterstone's Interview Questions

Updated 29 Mar 2018

2.6

Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Waterstone's (Leicester, England) in November 2017.

Interview

I took my CV into the Leicester branch to see if they had any vacancies in early November, and the assistant manager said they were hiring for extra Christmas staff. I was informed I needed a cover letter also and went back the next day to give it to them. Not long after I got a phone call asking me to come in for an interview. The interview was conducted by the manager, with the assistant manager taking notes. Questions were mainly about how my previous experience would help me in different situations, and about books - what I liked, what I was currently reading, what books I thought were prominent releases over the last year. At the end the manager asked me if I had any questions, and we talked a bit about how Waterstones is managing to compete with Amazon etc. It was quite formal but they were very friendly. It lasted around 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you recommended a book to a friend, and what you said to them to convince them that they should read it   Answer Question

Christmas Temporary Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Waterstone's (Birmingham, England) in November 2017.

Interview

Vacancy advertised in store, no information was published online.
    Interview was quick and easy. You needed to demonstrate you can work under holiday season pressure and ready to take up jobs in the weekend and holiday time.

Interview Questions

• What experience have you had in food and beverage industry?   Answer Question
    • What do you think the instore cafe need to improve?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesham, England

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Waterstone's (Chesham, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Gave in my CV and cover letter , they asked me questions there and then. This took about 15 minutes. She then said she would talk to her manager.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at waterstones?   1 Answer

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Waterstone's (London, England) in September 2017.

Interview

I had my interview September 2017. I handed in my cover letter and CV in the branches I like, which I followed the instruction on my website. However, turned out Waterstones has changed their ways of recruiting, one of the staff told me only the Piccadilly branch is in charge of the hiring process in central London, it would be a waste to hand in my CV to every branch. Although another staff also told me it is the Charing Cross branch who is in charge of the hiring. At the end, it was the Islington branch who contacted me. It took more than 2 weeks to hear from them, I suppose that is normal.

I arrived the store and was asked to look around the shop first. Then I was lead to the office to start my interview. The interviewer started by telling a bit about himself. The whole process took about 20- 25 min. The questions were standard and he asked me to use examples. I had prepare all my answers the night before, so I went in rather confident. However, it was quite unexpected that he asked me "what book is coming out this week ? it is quite big." I didn't know and perhaps from that point everything was going down.... I would not say it was comfortable overall, compare to my other similar job interviews. He didn't tell me what the wage was, what the rota was like, etc. I asked when do I hear from him next, he sort of told me a date in an uncertain tone. I followed up afterwards when I didn't hear from him. He didn't reply, I understand I didn't get the job... However, it would be nice if he told me that I didn't get it instead of me keep waiting on him, even just a very short email.

Interview Questions

• How did you deal with a difficult customer? Which book is coming out soon ( a big one)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Royal Leamington Spa, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Waterstone's (Royal Leamington Spa, England) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview was very positive. The interviewer was the branch manager and she was very friendly. Interview was relaxed. Questions were quite easy to answer although there were some in which doing research was crucial, which I had done. The beginning of the interview starts with you trying to sell the interviewer a book that you would recommend and goes from there. I would like to warn people who respond to job adverts to be prepared to work at other branches as they all apparently work in chains of approximately six shops.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of where you have dealt with a difficult customer.   Answer Question
    • How do you think staff manage to cope with the demand for a popular book?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waterstone's (Edinburgh, Scotland) in August 2017.

Interview

Handed in C.V in store - recieved call week later for interview - very relaxed traditional interview with two senior managers - make sure you shine your knowledge on book and are well read!

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waterstone's (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in July 2017.

Interview

I emailed my CV to the store manager and exactly two weeks later I got called for an interview. The interview was unlike anything I had experienced before. Before I started answering questions, the interviewer gave me details of the job description and stated that they wanted to give the job to someone who saw working at Waterstones as something that would help them achieve their goals, rather than someone who was only interested in money. I was asked senario based questions rather than answering questions about myself and my previous job history.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to recommend books to a person who was not interested in reading, What did you say to convince them?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer. What action did you take?   Answer Question
    • "Go Set A Watchman" sold more copies in Waterstones than on Amazon in 2016, why do you think this was?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Waterstone's (Newcastle, England).

Interview

They ask you about your knowledge of books. You explain why you feel your strengths match what they are looking for. You then choose a book and approach a bookseller and explain what it is about and why you would recommend it to them.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? What skills do you bring to the position?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waterstone's (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England) in February 2017.

Interview

I went in to the store and spoke to the lady at the till who told me that I should wait for her to come back from telling the manager that I was downstairs. I was then told to look round the store for 5-10 minutes and choose a book of my choice that I wanted to recommend to the manager. The manager then came down, and took me upstairs to his office where we both sat down and he started asking me the questions. He had a paper file of lots of different questions where he was writing answers down to what I was saying, but not very much. I was then asked to recommend the book I had chosen to him and also he had chosen 4-5 books, I had to read the blurb of each one and find out what each was about and then choose one to recommend to him - bearing in mind I had never heard of any of them before! He then carried on with some more questions and at the end gave me an opportunity to ask him some questions - make sure you ask about the company and how it is keeping up with modern age, any events they hold etc... That was the end of the interview then, he showed me to the door out of his office to the shop floor and that was it! No goodbye or anything.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you have demonstrated excellent customer service?   1 Answer
    • Choose a book out of the pile I have given you and recommend it to me   1 Answer
    • Give me an example of when you haven’t used your initiative?   1 Answer
    • What do you think of the shop floor layout?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Waterstone's (London, England) in January 2017.

Interview

I gave in my CV and a cover letter and spoke to the manager who seemed lovely. The next day I had a phone call in which we sorted out an interview for a few days later. It was quite a relaxed interview, we sat in the coffee shop they had there and talked about books. I thought the interview went well and she said she would call me over the weekend to let me know if I had it or not. Unfortunately I never heard back from her which I thought was a bit rude since she said she would call me back but I took it as I hadn't got the job!

Interview Questions

• I was asked to compare two tables, one at the front of the store with fictional books with lots of offers (e.g. 2 for 1) and a table at the back about sociology and psychology   1 Answer
    • What is your favourite book and why?   Answer Question
    • How do you think we select which books to face outwards on the shelves?   Answer Question
    • What book would you recommend to a man looking for a book for a child who he didn't know very well but he wanted to get her a present?   Answer Question
    • What books have influenced your life?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.