Xero Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Xero Interview Questions

Interviews at Xero

2.8

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Xero (Ontario, CA (US)).

Interview

I found the interview process to be respectful and positive at all levels of the organization. Very positive experience overall and a good indication of a good working culture.

Interview Questions

• Q: Salary expectations
      Q: Thought process when approaching problems   Answer Question

Customer Experience Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Xero in February 2020.

Interview

Long process that totaled about 4 hours of interviewing. Recruiters are amazing and helpful and majority of people I met that worked there were great. Department heads need to be trained on interview rights and wrongs. Became pretty unprofessional at the final interview. I honestly did not get an offer but I wasn’t sure I wanted to work under specific individuals anyhow. But I absolutely recommend Xero.

Agile Coach Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Xero.

Interview

I had 4 interviews, one with the recruiter (phone), video interview with a lead in NZ, video interview with two employees, and an in person+ video interview where they asked me to give a 15 minute case study presentation. Other than taking a long time and in the end not getting the job, Xero has the candidate experience nailed. They communicated throughout the process, I felt comfortable and welcome in each interview, and they really manage to build excitement about working for them.

Interview Questions

• Six months from now if this job is going really well what does that look like   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Xero (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

Started off with a 30 minute call with the recruiter, followed by a 30 minute google hangout with the hiring manager. I had an hour video conference with three team members, followed by a final 30 min video conference with the VP. This moved quickly, over 2 weeks total which I appreciated. Very warm and open team that shared a lot from their side, and encouraged me to ask questions. Made it feel like a two way interview!

Interview Questions

• What motivates you? Why Xero? Be sure to be prepared for strategy questions, and situational questions.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Xero.

Interview

I initially applied in Oct. 2018 and a recruiter at Xero contacted me shortly after I applied for a phone screen. The phone screen went well and I moved on and interviewed with a second recruiter. I then moved on in the process and was scheduled to have a video call with the hiring manager. A few hours before this call took place, I received an email saying Xero put the job on hold and would be canceling my call with the hiring manager. I received an email from the recruiter saying the position would open back up in early 2019 and, if I was still interested and available, I could continue the interview process when the positioned opened up in early 2019.

I saw the position open up again in Feb. 2019. I emailed the recruiter to say I would like to continue on with the interview process. I received an "Undeliverable" bounce on the email sent to the recruiter so I sent an email to another Xero recruiter whose email address I had. A few days later I received a response back saying I didn't have enough experience for the position. I was dumbfounded because the job description called for 3-5 years experience and I have 5 years experience. I had outlined all of the experience with the previous recruiters and obviously those recruiters felt like I was a strong enough candidate to meet with the hiring manager.

I'm not sure what changed with my application and the recruiter who took over after the previous recruiter left the company. I didn't bother to go back and explain my experience to the new recruiter because I knew she would already be biased against me. No recruiter wants his/her decisions to be challenged by a candidate.

I previously had great respect for Xero and found the initial interview process very straight forward and transparent. However, two things really changed my mind this time - the recruiter I was previously working with obviously left Xero and worked there less than a year and I have an email saying I could continue with the interview process when the position was reopened. Nothing changed with my application so obviously the recruiter for the Feb. 2019 hiring clearly had some sort of issue with my application (I know it certainly wasn't my lack of experience) and didn't care to honor what was promised to me during the last time they were interviewing for the position.

Interview Questions

• Explain all relevant experience you have for this role.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Xero.

Interview

The first round is just introduction of the interview process, the second round involves the product owner and team leader, I think I was doing well and we happily talked a lot of tech detail, I think I'm OK with this round, then get reject letter, still don't know why.

Software Engineer Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Xero (San Francisco, CA (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

I had applied to "Lead Software Engineer" and "Sr. Software Engineer" positions. The recruiter reached out over phone saying the team was very excited with my resume and wanted to bring me straight onsite for the in-person rounds (bypassing any tech-screens). He confirmed this was for the lead software engineer role

This did sound unusual but my profile has the rare combination of these aspects:
    - 12+ years of software development experience.
    - proficient in C#, .NET stack (they use this stack)
    - Certified AWS Solution Architect (they use AWS for their cloud provider)
    - Currently developing "Account Reconciliation" with one of the largest fin-tech companies around.
     - Local to SF bay-area (where the position was).

Shortly after, I got an email from the scheduler saying "Congratulations on being selected for an interview with Xero for the role of Lead Software Engineer."

Three days before the interview, I get an automated email saying:
    "We regret to advise that at this time we won't be moving forward with your application for this particular role, however we will keep your details on file. "

When I reached out to the recruiter, he said that I was never in consideration for "lead" and that the upcoming interview would be for "Sr. Software Engineer". I reluctantly agreed to go through with the interview.

On the day of the interview, the entire interview panel sat in on my very first round which was a system design round where they asked me to design a popular non-software system. As they poked holes in my design, I evolved the design to plug that hole. That question is a cliche "out of college" question which has nothing to do with software or distributed systems.

Post lunch one of their senior engineers and a lead developer came in with a laptop, started HackerRank, selected "Hard" difficulty level, and asked me to pick a problem of my choice.

We read through the couple-paragraph-long problem statement together. I designed the algorithm to solve this all by myself in the next few minutes on the whiteboard.

They however, wanted to see it coded and all HackerRank tests passing.
    This exercise went a little slow since I was typing on an unfamiliar PC laptop (I had been using a MacBook over the last few years). Also, HackerRank forces to spend time on marshaling input and output data before you can attack the core of the problem.

For the last round, I felt very rushed by other folks peeping inside the interview room and the interviewer checking the clock multiple times.

A couple of days went by and then the recruiter called again. offering me a position - of Software Engineer (not Senior or Lead). The compensation offered was 70K LESS than what I was already making.

This was my first onsite after having decided to start job hunting and the demeaning offer completely dented my confidence for a few weeks at least.

Took me another couple of months, to start getting offers that were more respectful of my experience and skill level. I debated with myself whether or not I should spend my time and attention to write this review. I would not have but did it anyway, hoping to save the time and effort of other engineers who are considering interviewing at Xero.

Interview Questions

• Q) Design a [un-related to software] system.
      Q) Solve this "hard* problem on HackerRank while we watch you type.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Xero (Denver, CO (US)) in October 2018.

Interview

Started with an HR phone screening which was fine, then spoke with the Marketing lead via Skype which was also fine. The Denver office was a bit strange. First, upon arrival there was no one at the front desk, so I had to walk around and find someone to help me. The entire office was in disarray. People riding scooters around, throwing things, drinking...weird. The interview was super awkward. One employee was there in person, and the other via call. The employee dialing in was distracting. He said he was making coffee in his hotel room. There was a lot of background noise. The person there in-person was completely lifeless. Was like talking to a wall. Overall, just a weird experience. Did not receive an offer, but if I did I would have declined.

Interview Questions

Xero Response

13 Nov 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review your interview experience at Xero. We appreciate your feedback. I want to flag that the experience you had in the office might have been timed when our culture club hosted their Autumn Festival. It was a day for everyone to celebrate the onset of Fall - with carnival games/competitions. I am looking into the details for the experiences you mentioned regarding the interviewers themselves, and we will take that into account for coaching for our interviewers. Thanks again and best of luck with your search. -Debbie, Talent Experience Manager

Android Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Xero.

Interview

WOW!!!!!!!! WHAT A TRULY DISGRACEFUL COMPANY!!!! Applied for an android developer position and was contacted by a recruiter. Then had a video phone conference with the hiring manager. Then scheduled a final on-site interview. Then two days prior was sent an email that they were cancelling the interview because they needed to tackle more senior devs. SENIOR ANDROID DEVS I would hope you would not want to work for a company with such low business practices!

Interview Questions

• Basic android questions, which was after I was told it would be basic algorithm and data structure questions not android specific questions.   1 Answer

Xero Response

15 Oct 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience interviewing with Xero. Unfortunately, this was a rare occurrence where the team needed to step back to evaluate their hiring plan and decided they needed to pivot to focusing on senior engineers for this particular role. In the spirit of honesty, we decided the best route was to not waste your time interviewing for a role that had changed in level. We apologize if the communications throughout the process were not as strong as they could have been. We are having internal discussions on how to improve. Thanks again for your feedback. -Debbie, Talent Experience Manager

Sr. Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Xero.

Interview

Standard interview process, you'll be given a problem to solve online within 45 min, then follow-up with a technical phone call. If you impress the interviewers, you'll be invited to onsite interviews.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.