1010data Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 21 March 2019

3.2
Sandy Steier

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "1010 has some amazingly smart people" (in 11 reviews)

• "Good work life balance for software engineers" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance on many teams is decreasing" (in 3 reviews)

• "A little too corporate for a "progressive tech company" and management needs work" (in 4 reviews)

"I’m a full time employee for a year"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at 1010data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly employees. Lots of social events

Cons

HR team isolates employees and at times they can be very unapproachable

"So near yet so distant"

I have been working at 1010data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Relatively good work-life balance. The hours are flexible and there are working remote policies.
    * Supportive managers, they are really nice in personalities.
    * Easy to get ownership and make impacts, thanks to the above.
    * For people looking for a support role there are plenty. You can shine here and be a good support.
    * For people who want to settle down, have babies or mortgages, this is a perfect place.

Cons

* 1010 is running mostly on homemade wheels in an ancient vector programming language called K, which no longer has a community. Proceed at your own risk no matter what you do.
    * The tools are just so immaturely designed and aborted halfway. The interesting thing is the ones who wrote them are often still in the company. They were mostly developed in a secluded environment where people don't care what is going on in the industry. So if you want to "learn about the industry", you are looking at it from a few light years away.
    * Cross-department communication can be successfully done only if they are done by the managers. More bureaucracy than there should be for a company this size. How can you convince someone at the company for >10y? Of course not.
    * The developer/analyst team have ~100 people I guess. Except for about 5 people working on cutting-edge projects, the rest are just support roles called different names. So if you don't want to be a support, OPEN YOUR EYES AND SEE THIS.
    * The promises given at recruitment are often untrue. And you can get random answers to why they didn't come true.

Advice to Management

IF YOU ARE A MANAGER, YOU ARE THERE TO MANAGE
    IF SUPPORT CHORES ARE SO FUN, DO NOT BE A MANAGER
    IF THERE IS NO RESOURCE FOR THE CHORES, GO HIRE SOME
    AND IF SUPPORT IS IN YOUR BLOOD
    ADMIT IT IN THE INTERVIEWS?

"1010data is growing"

I have been working at 1010data full-time

Pros

I wanted to touch on some points in recent reviews from some disgruntled former employees from the perspective of a current employee. 1010data is undergoing significant changes as it aligns the organization with a new corporate strategy.

In our technology department It’s true that we use K for development but we also use C, C++, Java, Python, JavaScript, VBA and our own query language to analyze big data. We use open source and cloud technologies to power our service and we are embarking on an effort to build a new self service product in the public cloud.

K is used by thousands of companies worldwide however we are the only company using a fork with the singular focus on scale out, map reduce style concurrent analytical processing such that our service has scaled to thousands of customers analyzing trillions of records every day. The language is so simple it fits on a single page of documentation and our libraries are well documented internally. Many have reporting efficient hiring and on-boarding so if it took unexpectedly long please escalate to HR so it can be improved!

Our development process is driven by collaboration between sales and engineering and we have recently created product team that is responsible for shaping this into solid requirements and wireframes consistent with what is needed to sell the product and deliver it in a scalable way.

The management team is a mixture of seasoned financial, academic, data and software engineers and executives with domain experience in the markets we thrive in. They believe anything is possible with sound principles and diligent execution.

Cons

Though not everything has gone flawlessly at 1010 however we aim to learn from our mistakes and continuously improve the experience for our employees and customers.

"Great culture & growing teams"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at 1010data full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Inquisitive, fun, and genuinely helpful colleagues encourage you to be your best and accomplish your goals. Regular social events, active committees, & fully stocked kitchens help you meet your co-workers. Overall, a good work balance by NYC standards.

1010data is also rolling out a new platform--development, customer support, sales, and marketing teams are all working hard, making this an exciting time to join the team.

Cons

No major cons to note just yet.

"Great company!"

I have been working at 1010data full-time

Pros

Great company with extremely smart people. Not your typical tech company filled with 27-year-olds, there is a wide variety of experience from right out of school to seasoned professionals so there is great opportunity to learn. I have really enjoyed my time here, I find the people personable and engaged with other staff and everyone is really just trying to make and sell a great product.

Cons

I do not see it as so much a con but it is a changing company so it not for everyone and you do have to be able to be adaptable in a sometimes ambiguous environment. There has been some change in upper and senior leadership which does mean change across the company but again while some see may see it as a con I see it as a positive change.

Advice to Management

Looking forward to seeing what is next, make sure to keep the communication channels open and keep us all updated.

"Retail Sales Division"

Current Employee - Vendor Manager
    Current Employee - Vendor Manager

I have been working at 1010data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall nice culture. Retail division selling like they're in the used car industry.

Cons

Retail Division is hit or miss with Retailers they win to manage. They're looking to bring any retailer on board which may or may not be profitable

7. "Senior Analyst"

I worked at 1010data full-time

Pros

1010 has some amazingly smart people. It's a great place to get exposure to several different types of technical implementations, industries and client engagements.

You can essentially get 10 years worth of experience in 2 years at 1010data. There are countless opportunities for employees to step up and take responsibility.

Cons

The career growth at 1010 can be slow. The People department needs to figure out how to motivate the employees that show talent and hard work with the correct type of compensation and career progression.

Advice to Management

Please focus on product direction. I would like to see more pointed strategies when it comes to making product decisions that are scalable and increased investment where there is demand.

"Small company, acts bigger than it is."

Pros

Good work life balance for software engineers

Cons

Bloated and slow management, too many separate products with confusing names, "Agile" teams are just "Waterfall in small pieces"

Advice to Management

Lose the politics over K vs more modern tooling.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at 1010data full-time

Pros

Opportunity to grow
    Work with very smart people

Cons

Too many meetings to discuss even non-essential issues

"Venus flytrap"

I worked at 1010data full-time

Pros

Free coffee, la Croix, and low end granola bars

Cons

Nepotism seeped into every management layer. C suite execs were frat bros? Check. Middle management all went to the same school and graduated same year? Check.

A tech company with no tech leadership. Management mostly does not hail from a tech background and probably learned how to code through YouTube.

The most egregious one of all: 1010data is a small tech company with a proprietary tech stack. That means its tech is its bread and butter and the company is highly dependent on it to differentiate itself from competitors. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, you just need sound leadership to drive the tech forward. Yet you have a CEO/President who is incapable of writing one line of code in the company's proprietary language (not an exaggeration) and is completely oblivious to what 1010 needs in order to survive. Could you imagine if DJT45 didn't speak English? It's that bad.

Advice to Management

Give yourself a nice severance and kindly resign. 1010 is worth saving but you're not the ones to do it.