Achievement First Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Achievement First Reviews

Updated 11 Jan 2020

3.5
Achievement First Co-CEO and President and Co-CEO and Superintendent Dacia Toll and Doug McCurry
Dacia Toll and Doug McCurry
Pros
  • "Some of the strongest professional development you can find(in 69 reviews)

• "Authentic relationships with scholars that is fostered in to the school motto(in 21 reviews)

"Clerical admin"

I have been working at Achievement First

Pros

Good members of staff and a delight to work with

Cons

Only tempary work in the office environment

Achievement First2018-10-04
  2. "great job"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Achievement First full-time

Pros

none its an awesome place to work

Cons

great place nothing bad to say

Achievement First2020-01-11
  3. "Good organization, easier to achieve salary growth as an external hire"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Achievement First full-time

Pros

Mission oriented, service based, professional growth

Cons

Long hours, limited advancement, poor press

Achievement First2020-01-11
  4. "Awesome Work Environment"

Current Employee - Physical Education Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Achievement First full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love the students and their families, we have a very close relationship! We have the principals support in almost everything that's in her control, staff all work great together to get the job done! All of out Deans are professional and always have the teachers best of interest!

Cons

school hours! 7:11- 3:45 is a long day for students and teachers, however AF network has taken our feedback and will shorten the school hours for next year!

Advice to Management

Continue to support us teachers, students and families, it's because of you that I love to come to work everyday.

Achievement First2020-01-07
  5. "Prepares you for other networks"

Current Employee - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Achievement First full-time for less than a year

Pros

Authentic relationships with scholars that is fostered in to the school motto. Reflective about mistakes.

Cons

Heavy work-load during the five-day week.

Achievement First2020-01-05
  6. "Long hours, little reward"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Achievement First full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

coworkers are dedicated and mission driven

Cons

AF used to be a great place to work, even though the work was hard. But over the last few years the nearly limitless principal autonomy and relentless focus on test scores has turned the organization into one that cares more about data than it does people. Staff members are expected to be online and responsive 7am-10pm, and most interactions focus on gaps, rather than successes. I would not recommend working for AF.

Achievement First2020-01-06
  7. "Great mission, awful methods"

Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in New Haven, CT
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Achievement First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Teachers who truly care about students and believe that all children are capable of success.

Cons

The strict code of discipline is socially and emotionally damaging to students. Students are allowed no agency and, when the time comes for children to make their own decisions, they don't know how to make good choices. Student test scores take precedence over educating the whole child. The prescriptive curriculum leaves very little room for differentiation. Teachers have no autonomy and cannot make decisions that will benefit their students if it does not fall into the strict guidelines. The organization claims to be anti-racist but does not use culturally-responsive practices. If the goal of Achievement First schools is to prepare students for success in college, they are failing. These schools are not socially or emotionally preparing students for college and career. Students were not encouraged to collaborate, which is an essential skill in college and beyond. As a teacher here, I felt like my thoughts didn't matter. I felt that I knew my students well and could anticipate their needs, but I was not allowed to do what I knew would be best for their academic and social-emotional learning. It felt like despite my research, degrees, and prior experiences, I was not trusted to do my job.

Advice to Management

Let teachers teach children instead of only cramming content into their heads.

Achievement First2020-01-05
  8. "Solid Place to Work"

Former Employee - Humanities Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Achievement First full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good workplace culture Attempted to balance work/personal life

Cons

Less friendly environment for ppl of color You can easily be let go if you don't fit in

Advice to Management

Continue to recruit qualified teachers of color. Students need to see teachers who look like them as leaders.

Achievement First2019-12-12

"Excellent Learning environment- Trying to close the gap and meet the needs of ALL scholars!"

Current Employee - Dean of Students in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Achievement First full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Strong teacher development and support. Opportunities to grow and advance within the network.

Cons

Very demanding as far as physical presence, time, and teacher output, as well as emotionally. Many of the people I work with are extremely invested in our scholars and their overall student experience. That comes with people being heavily invested in the work, but also feeling burnt out.

Advice to Management

Continue to make people feel heard and valued by constantly seeking feedback and communicating on all network updates.

Achievement First2019-12-09
  10. "Steps in the Right Direction!"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Achievement First full-time for less than a year

Pros

This school and network are big on feedback. That being said, they take feedback for the network themselves and the even the leadership team for their schools to make it a place that shows growth and trust in their employees. In my particular school, they are putting great emphasis on school culture to create a positive working environment. As a new employee for Achievement First, it makes me feel valued and welcomed seeing changes going in a positive direction from their former years!

Cons

It is not for those that are not hard workers! Doing your job, and doing it well, takes a lot of time and effort. You need to stay on top of your work or things can pile up very quickly, such as emails!

Achievement First2019-12-12