Amplify Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Amplify Reviews

Updated 30 Sep 2019

3.5
Amplify CEO Larry Berger (no image)
Larry Berger
Pros
Cons
  • "and resources are squandered by and for upper management, with no regard for what is needed by support those in the field(in 15 reviews)

• "very poor vision from senior management, too much at once, horrible communication from upper management(in 9 reviews)

1. "Amazing curriculum and amazing people"

Current Employee - Professional Learning Specialist

I have been working at Amplify part-time for less than a year

Pros

Colleagues are authentic and positive. You never feel like someone is looking over your shoulder. Not a "got you" culture in any way. The curriculum is sensational and can change the world!

Cons

You only get paid when you work and only when full-time staff can't take on the assignment. It makes the position less than part-time. This is NOT an ideal position if you require a consistent income to make due.

Advice to Management

Keep up the fantastic culture and kindness. Use Salesforce with full fidelity and make sure you are using it to its full capabilities. Make sure you are promoting the very best to full time, and not only those with time in the system.

Amplify2019-09-30
  2. "good place overall"

Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Amplify full-time

Pros

flexible work schedule, smart product development team

Cons

lower pay than other tech companies, issues with customer support teams

Amplify2019-09-09
  3. "Would Recommend"

Current Employee - Curriculum Specialist in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Amplify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits were really great for this company

Cons

Not a lot of leadership opportunities

Amplify2019-08-21
  4. "Friendly place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive

I worked at Amplify full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is truly a great company to work for. The people are very friendly and genuinely want to help educators and students use the best products available. Great compensation and base salary.

Cons

- growing rapidly which can cause some pains - not willing to invest in states that need correlations to standards or customization

Advice to Management

Invest in your people and products. You can compete.

Amplify2019-08-05

"Overworked"

Current Employee - Full Time
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Amplify full-time

Pros

You work from home and everyone is suffering as a team

Cons

It is amazing to me that with such growth we are overworked and constantly bombarded with questionable process changes that make our lives more difficult. The workers are almost all burnt out in every department. With a company growing at double digits you would like they would invest in the workers. There are a few departments that are highly favored and seem to take days to respond to emails / are taking... constant vacations. Both Salesforce and the process are a complete mess and the company compensates for it by making you work more hours.

Advice to Management

Give us more help or you will continue to have workers quit.

Amplify2019-07-24

"Confusing"

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Amplify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My coworkers are professional and supportive

Cons

There is no consistency, communication, or coherence. None. Tons of $ and resources are squandered by and for upper management, with no regard for what is needed by support those in the field

Amplify2019-06-22

"Good place to start, with great people"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Amplify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- People: Everyone at Amplify is super chill and friendly. People are usually pretty flexible and accommodating, and there are folks from all walks of life. Everyone is very social and accepting, and they always do surprise birthday cakes and parties for big life events. - Unlimited PTO is a huge improvement over the nickel-and-diming of PTO from my previous job. Groups work in two-week sprints (scrum) typically,... and so long as you give notice, you can usually take some time off without issue. I've seen people from other countries use their PTO and remote working options combined to go home for a month without issue, so long as you're getting your work done. - Free coffee and other drinks (soda, flavored seltzer), daily snacks, and occasional lunches during events. Cold brew on-tap during the summer is fantastic. Once a month they host a Waffle Wednesday. - Great location for places to eat. DUMBO is a huge tourist location, and they have some amazing food options and fantastically scenic places to eat. - The company appears to be doing well, and is growing. They had some difficulties in 2015, as I understand it, but have since come back.

Cons

- Management can be fairly inconsistent, depending on your team. I was on a fairly stable team for over a year, then got shuffled around with the product I was working on to 2 or 3 other teams. Additionally, my official manager kept changing, and was practically never ON my team, leading to a lot of my work assessment being done by word of mouth. On my last team at the company, half the people ended up leaving... within the first half-year, and Amplify did not seem prepared to actually keep track of the remainder, leading to inconsistent assessments of my work and overall progress. It might be anecdotal, but I felt slightly abandoned or forgotten about. - Pay in my position was less than that of similar companies in NYC, and did not grow at a reasonable rate during my time there. With the inconsistent management mentioned above, I was not encouraged or offered the ability to improve my position or job title during my time there, and as a result did not get the recognition (both praise and money-wise) that someone with my length of tenure would typically get. Some people fared better than me, but I got the sense that a decent amount did worse. - A reliance on a Ukraine-based consulting company for additional team members has lead to some difficulties with efficiency and communication. The time difference means that direct collaboration needs to be done in the morning, and if they or you need help during off hours, you might have to wait until the next day. Additionally, for every positive listed above, there are caveats: - The people tend to be nice, but I personally felt a slight difficulty in finding my group. The interns are always very tight-nit and fun, around the 20-year-old mark and often from the same school, and then a lot of the rest of the company tended to be people in their mid-to-late 30s or older. Everyone would have great conversations on Slack and at lunch, and everyone is very fun in general, but at the end of the day I had to decide between socializing with the young college kids or the mostly-married older folks. For people that fit one of these two molds or that have no interest socializing outside of work this is unlikely to be an issue, but for me it was a bit tricky. - The software side of the Amplify has diverse people from all walks of life, and everyone in NYC is completely accepting of whatever life you may lead, but the company itself has only just begun having explicit conversations about diversity, and other factions of the company seem more samey than software. - Free coffee and daily snacks are nice, but the snacks go out and disappear within about half an hour every day, and you will be hard pressed to get lunch in DUMBO without spending at least $10. Obviously not every company can feed their employees every meal, but it's worth noting that you will have to feed yourself.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees. Make sure your employees aren't sitting on the same pay and position for multiple years at a time. Make sure everyone in the same/similar position is being paid the same/similar amount. Assign managers that will actually understand the work that their employees are doing, will follow up on said work, will give praise when it's warranted, and will follow and encourage career... development. An employee shouldn't have to ask a manager for their yearly assessment. Make sure nobody is being left behind.

Amplify2019-06-13
  8. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Producer

I have been working at Amplify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work culture that is flexible.

Cons

Tend to hire contractors instead of full time.

Amplify2019-05-08
  9. "good company"

I worked at Amplify full-time

Pros

happy to work here always

Cons

no cons as such i see

Advice to Management

good

Amplify2019-05-04

"Needs to improve"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Amplify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work schedules, nice offices

Cons

Poor leadership has led to a lack of strategy that adversely affected talented employees and the success of good products. Experienced people who work hard to understand customer needs are ignored - routinely excluded from meetings and communications, so that upper management can control all decisions - which are, for the most part, bad decisions.

Advice to Management

All employees should be respected. The company is in dire need of diversity of thought to be successful.

Amplify2019-05-08