AppyWay Reviews

AppyWay CEO and Founder Dan Hubert
Dan Hubert
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great company that gives lots of opportunities

20 Oct 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Senior management trusts employees - there are rooms for people to grow their careers inc. switching teams where appropriate and employees are entrusted with responsibilities and autonomy to make sound decisions and things happen. Great collaborative culture between teams!

Cons

Due to startup nature, at times it felt like the company was reacting to events or issues rather than proactively identifying threats or new opportunities.

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Disorganised

10 May 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some good and hard working people within the company

Cons

poor strategy and lack of clarity within the business; slow product development processes; lack of cash means business is always looking for money but most automotive/transportation investors are not interested, which says something about the value proposition. Wasnt super impressed with the c-suite.

3. 4.0

Fore front of innovation -UK Tech

15 Oct 2020 - Head of Mobility Solutions in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Advanced thinking toward technologies in cities. New products empowering local authorities Exposure to the latest Gov tech thinking shaping our future cities.

Cons

Few to report SME life can be a fun and inspiring place to work but is always a challenging environment in the pursuit of growth. We love self motivated people going places.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Had some growing pains, but has matured well

20 May 2019 - Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Culture: I don't normally make a big deal out of company culture, but people are friends. Like they actively talk to each other and do stuff at the weekends.... it's not something I see very often, but is a great atmosphere. * Calibre: These are excellent people, both technically and personally, who I can trust to do their job well. On the dev side I have complete faith handing my code over into the care of others, on the data side I trust their work and judgement. * Functional Team: No back biting, undermining, gossip or empire building. As the company has grown and formed departments, things have meshed pretty well and the right people mostly seem to have fallen into place. * Cool dev problems. Geospacial data over time, big data sets, high volume event ingestion, distributed systems with partitioning. It's _all_ interesting. * Office Dog! Harvey is a cutie.

Cons

* It's relentless. (Still growing fast, lots to do) * The product direction can be a bit chaotic. * Still get the occasional - "It's only a button, just stick it in, that's what, couple of hours?"

5. 5.0

Awesome.

7 Jun 2019 - Operations Associate in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company culture is top notch. Expectations are clear; there is no micromanagement; we can get involved in pretty much anything we want. Good humour all around, a beer and wine fridge, and everyone is encouraged to not work beyond office hours. The company goals and status is shared openly - there is definitely a feeling of 'everyone's in it together'. What sets this company apart from many similar ones is the vision - 'Air Traffic Control' for cities is being built every day! There is a distinct lack of politics / sense of hierarchy - senior management treat the employees with respect and are very approachable.

Cons

There is a lot to do. Prioritisation can be challenging. If you want an 'easy' job, you'd be better off elsewhere. But if you like to roll your sleeves up, get stuck in, and actually achieve things, this isn't really a negative.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Exciting, inventive and loads of energy

3 Sep 2019 - Lead Developer in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

The ability to work on cutting edge technology. The team energy is great, people are compensated adequately. A lack of hierarchy and a sense of being part of every step in the decision making. We're building a completely new platform and we're the only ones doing that.

Cons

Nothing really, great place to work at all around

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fast paced, fun startup creating a smart cities solution to usher in the age automated vehicles

5 Jun 2019 - Senior Full Stack Developer in Faringdon, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

The domain we're working on is large scale and challenging. Our long term strategy will have a impact on the way smart cities organise themselves and the lives of the inhabitants therein. Think "air traffic control" for automated vehicle fleets. Our technology stack is broad and cutting edge, so there's plenty of opportunity to spread yourself across new technology. We're not fans of dogma and we're mainly interested in adapting the right technology to solve our customer's problems. There's a big emphasis on driving features based off user requirements here. The company culture here is fun and supportive, and possibly one of the best I've worked in. Employees here are encouraged to take ownership over problems, and when you're building a platform for a smart city there are plenty of interesting problems to solve. There's a healthy social thread that runs through this company. People support each other in the work they do, and we hold regular social events to keep the team close and the culture positive. This is particularly important during times when the pressure is on and there's a need to perform. There is no blame culture here at AppyParking, which is particularly important for engineers. Instead the company encourages contingency planning to ensure things go right the first time and retrospectives when things go wrong. Retrospectives occur at a sprint team level all the way up to a company level. The company regularly communicates it's vitals (product performance, investment opportunities, cash runway) on a monthly basis to its employees and the presentations are quite transparent. They also use net promoter score surveys and quarterly company meetings to address any concerns employees may have with the company, or to suggest improvements on how we can do things. What really impresses me the staff here at AppyParking is the drive to constantly learn from mistakes, and improve. The location of the office is in Farringdon, London, right next to the Leather Lane market - a great place for lunch. The office is spacious with plenty of natural light. It's exposed brickwork gives you that classic East London hipster startup vibe ;)

Cons

Like any startup, this place suffers from the usual growing pains whether it be basing its strategical decisions off poor / insufficient data, management interference in the design process, struggling to delegate responsibilities to the professionals it hires. These are problems you encounter when you realise you need to scale as a company and that not every decision can be or should be funnelled through a select few. This process of growing up can be painful at times and is hard fought by the staff in this company. It's equal parts frustrating and invigorating to watch the company suffer and learn from its mistakes; and learn we have because the amount of change I've seen in 2 years is staggering. I've no doubt with the people we have we can make company's dream a success. Oh, there's no cucumber infused water on tap. Sadly not every company can afford to work in a wework.

8. 5.0

Fab place to work

7 Jun 2019 - Legal in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fab, friendly place to work with a really great culture - the team are super friendly, and there's always a social event going on. The company's vision is really exciting, and the work towards getting there is both diverse and challenging - so you will certainly gain great experience you would not get in a large corporate.

Cons

Only that it is still a start-up, so whilst we have great benefits, they aren't on par with a large company. Nothing deal breaking.

9. 5.0

It's a good place

5 Jun 2019 - UI-UX Designer in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Apart from new office, good hardware to work on and no issue with getting whatever you need to work they do have a strong vision and they know what they want to do. It's a really cool place to work, people are great and helpful, team is multicultural and embraces diversity. Also work-life balance is really encouraged so no work after hours!

Cons

I'd say there are normal, growing startup pains. Nothing major, nothing deal breaking.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Exciting company with great team

5 Jun 2019 - Junior Marketing Manager in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really driven group of people to work with. Everyone is genuinely excited about what is being produced and this has a created a really positive workplace where everyone gets stuck in. The company culture is also great with staff regularly socialising together outside of office hours

Cons

Usual start up growing pains but overall no real cons

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 Reviews