Audit Scotland Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "great people"

Former Employee - ISG Technical Analyst in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - ISG Technical Analyst in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Audit Scotland (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly atmosphere with professional staff

Cons

new office is a bit remote

"Good place to work"

I worked at Audit Scotland full-time

Pros

Good conditions, flexi time, nice Edinburgh office. Good exam support.

Cons

Lots of travelling, experience quite dependent on who your manager is.

"Cushy little number"

Current Employee - Trainee Auditor in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Trainee Auditor in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Audit Scotland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible working and expenses (paid for by the public).

Cons

This place is a very cushy little number for the people who've been here a long time. They've got their great salaries, company cars (that they don't use for work) and their gold plated pensions all sorted and untouchable.

All of this with no responsibilities and hardly enough work to fill the day. The salaries paid to so called Senior Auditors and managers would boggle the mind of actual hard workers who get paid a lot less to lead and manage much bigger groups of people and projects.

Advice to Management

Be fair to the public and start giving them value for money.

19 Oct 2018 – Communications Officer

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. All of us at Audit Scotland are committed to providing great audit for our clients, stakeholders and giving assurance to the people of Scotland. The... More

"mediocre"

Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Audit Scotland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, trainee scheme, company car for some, Caroline Gardner, friendly people

Cons

Repetition, style over substance, avoidance of dealing with issues, barely anyone speaks up, hierarchy, COO, the job is not challenging

Advice to Management

Change 3/4 of the middle and senior management (SAMs, ADs) and you have the chance to run the business in line with your official your vision/mission statements etc.

29 Aug 2018 – Communications Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I’d welcome the opportunity to discuss your feedback in more detail, to help us understand your concerns a little more. Please feel free to get in... More

"Style over Substance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Audit Scotland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location, Office facilities, Annual Leave

Cons

HR & OD team create problems to justify their own existence

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff

20 Mar 2018 – Communications Officer

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. It would be great to understand a little more so perhaps you might send me an email, give me a call or drop by my desk. You can reach me on... More

"Poor responses from a poorly led HR department and the location."

I worked at Audit Scotland full-time

Pros

Some good people and annual leave

Cons

Ignoring real issues and allowing incompetence to flourish !

Advice to Management

Change the Management arrogance and stupidity! stop whitewashing respnses to negative reviews.

15 Feb 2018 – Communications Officer

I’m sorry this has been your experience of your time at Audit Scotland. I’d be happy to discuss your comments with you, if you feel that this would be helpful. If this is something you’d like to take... More

"A great place to get your graduate training and then go somewhere else"

I worked at Audit Scotland full-time

Pros

Great people and lots of training

Cons

Management does not listen to their employees

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and not just your middle managers

25 Jan 2018 – Communications Officer

Thank you for your feedback. I’m pleased to hear about your positive experience of our graduate programme and our wider investment in learning & development. We have been strengthening the... More

"Started off well but slowly became unbearable due to inadequate managers which was ignored by snr mgmt & leadership grp."

I worked at Audit Scotland full-time

Pros

Good holidays, flexible working and ok pay. Most of the staff share the same goals, are friendly and hard working. Emphasis on most though!

Cons

Bad management rarely addressed, some staff behaviours ignored "because of who they work for" and a leadership group I found insincere to the point of nausea.

Advice to Management

- listen to and ask the staff more rather than middle managers, the reality is sometimes very different
    - leadership, please don't have what seems like pointless "tick box" meetings with staff to ask what issues/problems are, then nothing! How about a follow up meeting a few months later?
    - senior managers, please try not to keep feeding the egos of certain members of management team
    - rather than ignoring inadequate managers and staff behaviours please address them when staff raise the issues. Its appalling that because of whom a staff member works for their behaviour is ignored!!
    - change the whole "if you don't like the way the organisation is headed then leave" attitude and try to find out why some staff are now not engaged. You've lost some good ones!
    - best companies, stop flogging a "one to watch" dead horse! Get managers to have structured honest meetings with their staff and to report back. Then go from there.
    - Audit Scotland is by far not the worst place to work but it's certainly not the best either. Don't always deem that it's NOT always greener on the other side of the grass in your Audit Scotland bubble!

"Poor Management Team"

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Audit Scotland full-time

Pros

The staff are the best asset to the organisation. Despi te management intervention, they can be relied upon in their professional attitude and commitment.

Cons

Management try to do their best but have been here too long that they cannot bring new ideas. Granted one Director is retiring, but existing MT will not change. It is the self preservation society! The MT have now implanted a third salary scheme, three in eight years. The changes have been detrimental to staff. We have been a 'one to watch' in the staff survey for years making no progress, but management always put a positive spin on the results. Management deride staff and union - there is a lack of respect.

Advice to Management

Change at top level, we need a new chief executive that can lead and motivate staff. MT have been there too long with no recent external experience. MT should get back to coal face and learn what we do!

10. "Fifteen years here - so there must be something good to shout about!"

Current Employee - Human Resources & OD Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Human Resources & OD Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland

Pros

Okay, I am the Head of HR & OD so thought I should say that first! But I have worked here for 15yrs and even my opinion counts....

The work we do has real purpose, it's a caring employer and we are trying to implement ways of working that are at the leading edge for a professional services organisation - giving our people autonomy, freedom and true purpose in the way they work. There is a serious investment in the development of the community of talented people that work here - both financial and time. I worked in financial services sector before joining Audit Scotland and I have stayed here longer than anywhere else. I think that speaks for itself. We don't get everything right but almost everyone tries their best and we are respected for what we do, the impact we have and the way we go about our work.

Cons

Monies tight across the public sector since the Credit Crunch of 2008 and so we don't have bonuses, share options or a fancy company car scheme. Change can take time and we are no different. Sometimes reaching for perfection in almost everything demands some personal resilience!

Advice to Management

Keep true to your vision, ambition and keep living the values that we have adopted in the last few years.