Audit Scotland Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "great people"

Former Employee - ISG Technical Analyst in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - ISG Technical Analyst in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Audit Scotland (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly atmosphere with professional staff

Cons

new office is a bit remote

"Poor responses from a poorly led HR department and the location."

I worked at Audit Scotland full-time

Pros

Some good people and annual leave

Cons

Ignoring real issues and allowing incompetence to flourish !

Advice to Management

Change the Management arrogance and stupidity! stop whitewashing respnses to negative reviews.

Audit Scotland Response

15 Feb 2018 – Communications Officer

I’m sorry this has been your experience of your time at Audit Scotland. I’d be happy to discuss your comments with you, if you feel that this would be helpful. If this is something you’d like to take... More

"A great place to get your graduate training and then go somewhere else"

I worked at Audit Scotland full-time

Pros

Great people and lots of training

Cons

Management does not listen to their employees

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and not just your middle managers

Audit Scotland Response

25 Jan 2018 – Communications Officer

Thank you for your feedback. I’m pleased to hear about your positive experience of our graduate programme and our wider investment in learning & development. We have been strengthening the... More

"Started off well but slowly became unbearable due to inadequate managers which was ignored by snr mgmt & leadership grp."

I worked at Audit Scotland full-time

Pros

Good holidays, flexible working and ok pay. Most of the staff share the same goals, are friendly and hard working. Emphasis on most though!

Cons

Bad management rarely addressed, some staff behaviours ignored "because of who they work for" and a leadership group I found insincere to the point of nausea.

Advice to Management

- listen to and ask the staff more rather than middle managers, the reality is sometimes very different
    - leadership, please don't have what seems like pointless "tick box" meetings with staff to ask what issues/problems are, then nothing! How about a follow up meeting a few months later?
    - senior managers, please try not to keep feeding the egos of certain members of management team
    - rather than ignoring inadequate managers and staff behaviours please address them when staff raise the issues. Its appalling that because of whom a staff member works for their behaviour is ignored!!
    - change the whole "if you don't like the way the organisation is headed then leave" attitude and try to find out why some staff are now not engaged. You've lost some good ones!
    - best companies, stop flogging a "one to watch" dead horse! Get managers to have structured honest meetings with their staff and to report back. Then go from there.
    - Audit Scotland is by far not the worst place to work but it's certainly not the best either. Don't always deem that it's NOT always greener on the other side of the grass in your Audit Scotland bubble!

"Poor Management Team"

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Audit Scotland full-time

Pros

The staff are the best asset to the organisation. Despi te management intervention, they can be relied upon in their professional attitude and commitment.

Cons

Management try to do their best but have been here too long that they cannot bring new ideas. Granted one Director is retiring, but existing MT will not change. It is the self preservation society! The MT have now implanted a third salary scheme, three in eight years. The changes have been detrimental to staff. We have been a 'one to watch' in the staff survey for years making no progress, but management always put a positive spin on the results. Management deride staff and union - there is a lack of respect.

Advice to Management

Change at top level, we need a new chief executive that can lead and motivate staff. MT have been there too long with no recent external experience. MT should get back to coal face and learn what we do!

7. "Fifteen years here - so there must be something good to shout about!"

Current Employee - Human Resources & OD Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Human Resources & OD Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland

Pros

Okay, I am the Head of HR & OD so thought I should say that first! But I have worked here for 15yrs and even my opinion counts....

The work we do has real purpose, it's a caring employer and we are trying to implement ways of working that are at the leading edge for a professional services organisation - giving our people autonomy, freedom and true purpose in the way they work. There is a serious investment in the development of the community of talented people that work here - both financial and time. I worked in financial services sector before joining Audit Scotland and I have stayed here longer than anywhere else. I think that speaks for itself. We don't get everything right but almost everyone tries their best and we are respected for what we do, the impact we have and the way we go about our work.

Cons

Monies tight across the public sector since the Credit Crunch of 2008 and so we don't have bonuses, share options or a fancy company car scheme. Change can take time and we are no different. Sometimes reaching for perfection in almost everything demands some personal resilience!

Advice to Management

Keep true to your vision, ambition and keep living the values that we have adopted in the last few years.

"Avoid or get in and get out"

Current Employee - Audit in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Audit in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Audit Scotland full-time

Pros

It's a pretty easy place to work.

No time pressure, no responsibility until you get fairly high up. You can earn 40k a year doing the job of a trainee in some cases.

Good place to pick up a .CA qualification without the private sector stresses.

Cons

Very boring unless you get lucky with your team and job assignments.

Constant minute reviews and copy and paste jobs.

Lots of downtime and waiting.

You don't get experience you can leverage into getting a job elsewhere, it's all audit 101.

Advice to Management

Cut the size of your workforce down and give people opportunities to develop.

"Stay away if you want to feel secure in your job"

Former Employee - Business Support
    Former Employee - Business Support

I worked at Audit Scotland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexitime/flexible working are a benefit - see caveat below
    The majority of employees are pleasant to deal with

Cons

Management take complete advantage and make it very clear they have favourites.

Flexible working is not applied fairly - some people are allowed to work from home and others are told it's outlawed for the entire team.

There is a "Do as I say, not as I do" culture. Councils around Scotland are told to cut expenditure by auditors - who have upwards of 10 varieties of tea available in the Edinburgh office

Training in specialist areas was offered when I was first employed - however, this was never followed up on and feels a waste of public funds

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. Look at the managers and team leaders you have - and actually enquire ac to why so many people are leaving, taking early retirement or voluntary redundancy.

"Working at Audit Scotland"

I have been working at Audit Scotland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexi time is great. Plus flexible working is offered (see caveat below).

Professional qualification offered is ICAS which is more beneficial for trainees.

Good number of holidays each year and sufficient study leave.

Cons

While flexible working is offered, it does not mean that it will actually be available to all as there are inconsistencies in how this is applied across the organisation and across teams. In addition, working policies are not consistently applied across the organisation which can lead to difficulties and some feeling worse off than others.

There are significant differences in the experiences gained as a trainee depending upon team and location of trainee. This can impact on personal development and could potentially lead to disadvantage in future career.

Due to nature of audit year ends, there are periods of time that can be mind numbingly boring with little scope to work in other areas of the organisation. However, this is an area where work is being done to try and ensure cross working is available.

Due to the numbers of senior staff there is a little scope for careers progression beyond a certain level.

Advice to Management

Ensure consistency in experiences across the whole organisation.
    Ensure working policies are consistently applied across the whole organisation.

"Avoid"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Audit Scotland full-time

Pros

Flexible working is a great benefit.

Cons

Beyond boring.
    Very few development opportunities.
    No challenge or development.