Avvo Reviews

Updated 10 Jun 2020

2.7
Avvo SVP Sales and Marketing Suke Jawanda
Suke Jawanda
Pros
  • "Great work life balance with great team leaders(in 16 reviews)

• "I've done so much better in commission than I hoped for because I'm hungry and want to make money(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "some toxic under performing reps on sales floor bring down morale , hold onto employees too long(in 15 reviews)

• "this company has lost it when purchased by Internet Brands(in 9 reviews)

"Started off well..."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Avvo full-time for less than a year

Pros

The co-workers are great and very friendly. Everyone is super helpful and willing to do anything to help you succeed.

Cons

Management is overruled by the big wigs at Internet Brands and doesn't listen to feedback from employees. They make short sided business decisions and don't look at future outcomes.

"Don't Recommend"

Former Employee - SDR in Seattle, WA

I worked at Avvo full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Work/life balance - Great coworkers on my team (AE's). Good people I enjoyed working with.

Cons

SDR commission plan abruptly changed with no real discussion or warning, severely cutting earning potential and tying earnings strictly to closed deals by AE's, essentially meaning you had no control over your commission. Every month the goalposts were seemingly moved back farther and farther for SDR's, and head of sales was not transparent about any of this whatsoever. Despite being both one of the longest tenured and highest performing SDR's, I was laid off in favor of others that certainly should've gone before me. Within 5 minutes I was up and out of the system like I had never even existed in the first place, and never got to say goodbye to my coworkers with whom I enjoyed working with and built relationships with. It felt very unprofessional. There is very little room to grow here if any, leads were drying up, and the product is subpar. I lost a lot of respect for upper management and how they handled everything, and I've spoken to enough attorneys over my time there to know it isn't a very respected company in legal circles either.

Continue reading

"Good entry level job, but don't stay long"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avvo full-time

Pros

Good entry level sales job. Most managers don't micromanage.

Cons

- Base pay is far too low for Seattle. You get "uncapped" (yay!) commission, but what company does not these days? The commission has decreased year by year with no explanation as to why and quotas have been set too high, especially for new-hires in the past year. - The sales style is going to ruin you if you want to advance your career within sales. - There is little to 0 room for growth within the company. - Industry is getting very oversaturated as we've called/contacted attorneys/law firms far too many times in years previous and tons of attorneys got sold horrible packages just for a rep to get a sale, leading to a bridge being almost burnt down with that attorney/law firm. - I could go on and on, but I'll leave it at that

4. "Amazing"

5.0
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avvo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance with great team leaders

Cons

Nothing bad to say as of yet

April 1, 2020HR Admin

Thank you for your input! We have put a lot of time and energy into making Avvo a great place to work from employee perks (snacks!) to training managers to be the best. It is always great to hear that employees are feeling the rewards of the initiatives!

"They've come a long way"

5.0

I worked at Avvo full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was just as skeptical as everyone else before accepting an offer here. I'd read a lot of the negative reviews and asked about them in my interview. From my time at Avvo it's clear they understands that things changed a lot (for the worse) once they were acquired in 2018, but it seems like they've come a long way from that low point to try and return to the prominence they once had. They provide you with all the resources you need to succeed but people need to understand that this role is for those who can work hard and take coaching, and if you can, it will be extremely rewarding and you are recognized/appreciated for your hard work. The most important part is your team/manager. I was fortunate enough to have a great manager, Madison, and an awesome team around me that celebrated each other's victories and picked each other up if things weren't going so well. They also have a bunch of snacks, sponsored lunches, and dogs which make any workplace more enjoyable. All said, it seems like Avvo has figured out where the problems lie and has done/are doing things to address them. If it weren't for another opportunity I couldn't pass up, I would still be here.

Cons

It is a bit repetitive. Most attorneys have been called on Avvo before, so a lot of it is getting them at the right time, or being great on the phone (which if you can take coaching, can be easy to do). It is also a numbers game, but that's any sales role. For most of the people that aren't doing well or hitting quota, you can usually look at their production and find out why. If you cannot handle rejection from the average person, you definitely cannot handle rejection from an attorney, and this job isn't for you.

February 6, 2020HR Admin

THANK YOU!!!! This is so great to hear as we have been working hard this last year to create an engaging place to work. We will definitely look into the paper towel situation ; )

6. "Smart, savvy sales team"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at Avvo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pleasure working with people who are so intelligent in their prospecting and pitching.

Cons

High volume dialing and on many days you do not reach even a single prospect.

February 6, 2020HR Admin

Thank you for your feedback! We really enjoy the people at Avvo too! It is a team of smart, collaborative, and engaging people. We recognize that the Sales positions may not be for everyone as they are out-bound calling sales roles. We strive to make each day fun and to create an enjoyable environment.

"“People come and go so quickly around here.” Dorothy- Wizard of Oz"

I worked at Avvo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free food and coffee. There are a lot of catered meetings, pizza parties and the view from the offices is really enjoyable to look at as you make highly repetitive, speed dial cold calls. Gives you a sense of a real world outside when working as an automaton. (Passive/ aggressive, sure.)

Cons

Do it yourself onboarding process. There is a minimal amount of training. Your training is a DIY, “find your own voice” and you decide what you want to say about us to our customers. In others words, just say anything to our customers because they’ve heard everything already. This is not an Account Executive position. It is a quick cold call and one sentence wonder pitch. You have to meet your quota every month your first 3 months, which is to be expected; however it doubles every month. High turnover. In fact it feels like Gladiators because you literally watch your replacements walk by as they are interviewing for your position. Aggressive sales people should only apply for an Account Executive position here. Out maneuvering customers in dodging a conversation with you is the only successful method in achieving a positive sales outcome.

February 27, 2020HR Admin

We understand that time is precious so thank you for taking the time to post a review for Avvo. We recognize that our week-long “interim” training program (in place while we were recruiting for a Sales Readiness Trainer) didn’t address every individual's unique skill level. However, we are excited that we have recently hired a Sales Readiness Trainer. In addition, we realize that the Account Executive position is not for everyone as it is an out-bound calling sales role. It is a high call volume position. We are working with our recruiting department to be sure candidates are aware of this so it is not a surprise when they start their career with us. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

"Where do I start"

I worked at Avvo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits were ok. Free Orca Card. Dog friendly.

Cons

Where to start. If you are fresh out of college or have a pulse they will hire you. If you like making 100-150 calls to attorney’s that have told other Avvo reps to stop calling their firm this is the job for you. Look out for bait and which with their salary they offer you. Went to do my taxes and realized they under paid me by about 10k on my salary. The product is outdated and sales floor is like a revolving door. So if you are looking to just collect a pay check this is the place for you.

February 6, 2020HR Admin

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for Avvo. It is unfortunate that your experience while working at Avvo was not 5-star. We recognize that the Account Executive position is not for everyone as it is an out-bound calling sales role. It is a high call volume position. We are very troubled about your pay concern. Please reach out to HR@avvo.com so we can look into the situation. We always want to be sure employees are paid appropriately. We are excited to announce that we have just recently launched new product and have more to come. We continue to see positive changes within Sales organization, and we will continue to improve in 2020!

"This is a warning."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Avvo full-time

Pros

At current, Avvo offers a fair benefits package. Vacation, work-life balance, and insurance are standard and fairly competitive. Dogs in the office and snacks. Note: what Avvo celebrates as its culture are remnants of “old” Avvo. Expect this to change as management continues to thin out benefits and morale.

Cons

Working at Avvo used to mean something. Employees had a sense of purpose, our ideas were heard, and we were encouraged to pursue our passions with the idea that there was upward mobility. NO LONGER. IB is managed top-down and spending is managed to the penny - seriously. Even high level execs are dealing with tiny budgets that render their teams bootstrapped and strained. And let’s talk about promotions. You got one? Don’t expect much change to your pay, even for a significant change in responsibility. IB practices salary compression to the most disgusting degree. Employees are not celebrated for their successes. Management is toxic and discouraging. Individual contributors are not valued (this is probably different for various teams). If you are young, if you are in the middle of your career tenure and you actually care, you’ll stay away. There is no future here. With one exception: cutthroat white men - you’re most welcome. You’re the only protected and valued employee at Avvo.

Continue reading
  10. "Not easy but possible"

4.0

I worked at Avvo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good working hours, flexible, some good managers like Eric Waterford

Cons

Culture, need better morale

November 26, 2019HR Admin

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Avvo. We appreciate your feedback and have let Eric know of your shout out! We are definitely working on improving morale. We have been improving communication within Avvo as well as with our parent company, Internet Brands, clarifying our company goals, and providing training/development opportunities as that is where our employees have asked us to focus. While the past was admittedly rocky at times, the changes we have made have already started to make a positive difference!

Found 147 reviews