BMC Software Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Peter Leav

1,151 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance can go for a toss, it depends on the function you are involved though" (in 44 reviews)

• "Middle management not streamlined enough" (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Employer I have ever had!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BMC is a great company to work for. I love the flexibilty in my schedule and being able to work from home when needed. But in general I enjoy the office in Houston and the people, so I tend to work from there 3 days a week atleast. Its a beautiful facility. Bright, modern and full of amenities. Plus we have some gret activites on site for BMC Cares that help make the culture great while giving back to our community. Because we are a global company, I love being able to talk and work with folks from around the world, but also this helps me to flex my schedule when needed.

Cons

None! Fun place to work!

2. "Focussed and Impressive"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Program Management in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Program Management in London, England

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and perks that attract the best staff.

Cons

Thinks keep vanishing..... Like IT Support staff.

Advice to Management

The world extends beyond Houston. Removing IT support for the Houston staff would be unthinkable - so why have you done it in the European offices?

BMC Software Response

21 Jun 2018 – Employee Experience Coordinator

Thank you for feedback today. We really appreciate your 5-Star review and are glad that you are enjoying your experience at BMC. we also wanted to let you know that your feedback will be considered... More

"A fantastic opportunity to develop"

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Moving to BMC has been a massive turning point in my career, working under an inspirational leadership team that have provided the platform for me learn, earn and generally accelerate my development far beyond my expectations. There have been countless "pros" to working at BMC, but here are a few:

Industry-leading product portfolio
    Huge and continued investment in R&D to maintain leadership positions
    Clear strategic direction that is universally understood and regularly communicated across the organisation
    Proven/ repeatable sales process and engagement model that focusses on delivering maximum customer value
    Management and leadership team that is 100% committed to developing talent, which involves regular structured enablement and in-field coaching
    World class, dedicated pre-sales team
    Culture of collaboration and teamwork - definitely a sentiment of "feeling part of something"
    Flexible working (home-based contract)
    Uncapped earning potential

Cons

A restructure in the UK at the start of FY18 inevitably led to a hiring spree, as individuals were promoted and new teams were created from scratch. An eagerness to fill headcount as quickly as possible at the turn of the FY, whilst understandable, led to a small number of cases where individuals were hired despite not being the right "fit" culturally. This has since settled down and I am certain will not be repeated.

Advice to Management

Do not rush to fill headcount by hiring individuals that will compromise the organisation's ethos and culture...
    Keep standards high and keep up the good work! BMC is a fantastic place to work and I hope to remain here for many years to come.

"Account Manager"

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong customer oriented business.

Invests in training to help ensure high standards from employees.

Good quality and highly relevant products.

Building experienced and talented team on the ground.

Excellent benefits.

Cons

Business transformed in recent years in response to the market, leading to employee churn - but settling down now.

Junior sales management, in part, not adding sufficient value to the team due to relative inexperience.

Wider resources under pressure due to demand.

Advice to Management

Invest in coal face Sales management talent.

More non sales resource required.

"BMC - Bring More Culture..."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Surbiton, England
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Surbiton, England

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BMC is trying to transform as a business to move away from being a ‘legacy’ vendor, whom historically has been pigeonholed into the ITSM market, towards a more relevant vendor in adjacent high growth markets; Multi-Cloud Management and AI market etc. This is absolutely the right strategy, however the pace of this transformation (in BMC UK) is moving at glacial speed for the below reasons...

Cons

1. Toxic Culture: overly aggressive sales management approach with absolutely zero EQ to employees, and customers for that matter. BMC UK pretends to be evangelical about “value based selling” but the application of this methodology is not customer centric and when you strip it back is still very much drive-by software sales. The BladeLogic/PTC culture is still very evident in the Glengarry Glen Ross sales management style; the IT market is incredibly tight on talent and people won’t put up with it as per point 3 below - bottom line!
    2. Marker Reputation: as a result of point 1, BMC’s brand with the vast majority of UK customers is in tatters. Complete lack of trust, missing value realisation and ultimately a lack credibility caused by a highly abrasive sales “methodology”.
    3. HUMONGOUS ATTRITION - I’ve been in the industry for many years, at many large tech companies and I’m genuinely astonished by the attrition rate in the UK. People are leaving left right and centre, literally. This lack of continuity again loses huge credibility with customers who receive yet another “BMC Introduction” email from their fourth account manager in 12 months...

Advice to Management

@MR PETER LEAV - get yourself over to reform your rapidly failing UK business! The market potential is huge and we have some truly great sales talent, but we’re in dire need of a leadership shakeup to address the above 3 points. This will accelerate BMC’s transformation, will bring our culture out of the 90s, will boost employee morale and productivity which will in turn elevate our standing with many, many customers. Question : when was the last Employee Satisfaction/Feedback survey ? It would be a very wise idea to get the full consensus from the front-line sales team without the influence/input of management, just a thought.

"Challenging but rewarding. Always Learning."

Current Employee - Key Account Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Key Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined BMC 3 years ago having never sold software before, and being entirely new to enterprise IT.
    Since then I have progressed in my sales career every year, taking on more responsibility, larger accounts and finding, managing & closing significantly bigger deals. Fair to say this has changed my life financially, but also as it relates to my professional skill-set.
    Greatly supported by:
    - Consistent, quality sales process training & knowledge sharing from more experienced salespeople
    - A top tier pre-sales & architecture team, who are not only energetic, enthusiastic but also brilliant teachers when it comes to the more technical aspects of the role
    - Strong regional management, leadership & great mentoring
    - Great colleagues/friends in the business beyond the sales team across legal, best practise, sales order processing, HR
    - Financial motivation; annual base-salary reviews, generous compensation ramps & kickers
    - Strong & regular innovation from the technology business units, responding quickly to customer expectations & requirements

Cons

- Innovation & brand awareness improving but still low
    - Revenue recognition rules not well communicated outside of accounting which can cause unnecessary stress
    - Scoring deals done with existing clients is not logical and should be reviewed.
    - Although we have a central London office, It doesn't quite fit the innovative brand BMC are developing in the market (even though the coffee & fruit is free).

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on finding & fostering new talent into enterprise IT sales - A huge talent pool of enthusiastic, coachable & tech savy graduates could further energise the business. Experience isn't always everything. Define clear career paths & communicate/review regularly.

Balance sales process & product training with more soft-skills training & development

More creativity needed to ensure account teams focus on key accounts already wrapped up in big contracts to ensure the right behaviour to deliver customer success & strategic relationships.

More full-office events off-site would help bring the ecosystem closer.

"Leading by example through technology, accountability, and opportunity"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in London, England

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extensive and relevant products
    Significant R&D investment
    Strong people and professional development programs
    Progressive and accountable management team
    Flexible working
    Scientific and objective-based business planning and execution
    Highly competitive pay
    Upward mobility
    Best software consultant team I've ever worked with

Cons

Feet on the street (high productivity across business development and sales but not enough to keep up with demand fulfilment and demand creation)
    A lot of hard work -- you get out what you put in. Demands focus and tenacity.
    Niche competitors. Have to be ready to take on many specialist companies rather than BMC equivalents.
    Cultural fit issues. Those looking to challenge themselves typically do well, not a good place for people not looking to evolve their approach

Advice to Management

Management has been very supportive of my decision to take Shared Parental Leave after the birth of my first child which has allowed my wife to go back to work earlier than anticipated and drive her own career as well as give me the opportunity to focus on a new skill set: fatherhood. Management was extremely supportive and helped me build a strong plan both in my absence and for my return. It has also proven that BMC is driving toward unlocking more talent in the market by creating flexible working arrangements. This is good, but management must continue to be proactive in seeking this type of engagement with both employees and prospects to compete in this highly-selective market. Double down on people investment and leadership programs; they are both huge reasons why I've continued at BMC for as long as I have.

"Hard work but worth it..."

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company with great values

Cons

It can be tough but what job isn't...

BMC Software Response

20 Nov 2017 – Employee Experience Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We appreciate your comments and thoughts and hope your experience with BMC continues to be a positive one.

"How Can You Build a Business With Over 50% Annual Sales Team Churn?"

Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I worked at BMC Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good training both in an outside classroom. Decent fringe benefits - pension, free gym (if you had the time to use it), healthcare dental etc. Excellent pre-sales team.

Cons

BMC's reputation precedes it in the marketplace as being a horrible place to work. Beware of recruiter spin. The reputation is well deserved.

1980's toxic sales management culture based on aggression, bullying, playing favourites, micro-management, territories are a moving feast with the best opportunities moved to the golden circle. Huge turnover of sales people within last 12 months - over 50% of sales floor has left. Customers are sold to and then forgotten about and are sick of having a new account manager every 6 months.

If you value work life balance - forget it.

UK management team are institutionalised. Most have been on board for a long time and do not have the experience outside BMC to know what good looks like.
     In an attempt to steady the sinking ship we were called into a meeting to be told by one that BMC's sales staff retention rate was "completely normal". Laughable.

Advice to Management

You are micro-managers - not leaders. I would focus your energy on reading the comments on this board rather than posting positive "fake news" to counter them. It is moronic to think you can build a business on 50% annual staff turnover.

"Huge problem with a bullying culture throughout the sales organisation. People leaving every week."

Current Employee - Account Manager (Sales) in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Manager (Sales) in London, England

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent sales process training. Great people. Nothing else positive. Other positive reviews are managers doing PR as they can't hire people as fast as people are leaving.

Cons

Too much sales training - not enough time with actual clients. Every single manager is an ex BMC sales person who has not been on a single management training course. Forget about work life balance, you are expected to spend Monday to Thursday in a hotel. Forced to be in Winnersh office to send emails en masse to people we find on LinkedIn. Feels like a call centre in the 80's that thinks it's leading edge!

Advice to Management

Go on some Management Training courses. BMC is proof that great sales people are not always great sales managers. New CEO is excellent but I am sure he has no idea about how bad things in the UK are.

Showing 1,151 of 1,198 reviews