BMC Software Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

BMC Software President and CEO Peter Leav
Peter Leav

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance can go for a toss, it depends on the function you are involved though"" (in 44 reviews)

• "No cons as such that I could find" (in 21 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Employer I have ever had!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BMC is a great company to work for. I love the flexibilty in my schedule and being able to work from home when needed. But in general I enjoy the office in Houston and the people, so I tend to work from there 3 days a week atleast. Its a beautiful facility. Bright, modern and full of amenities. Plus we have some gret activites on site for BMC Cares that help make the culture great while giving back to our community. Because we are a global company, I love being able to talk and work with folks from around the world, but also this helps me to flex my schedule when needed.

Cons

None! Fun place to work!

BMC Software Response

31 Jul 2018 – Employee Experience Coordinator

WOW! What a great review of BMC! We are so proud to hear that you are enjoying your #BMCLife! Thank you for these wonderful words and for taking the time to share your thoughts today.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- World class approach and process to selling that drives Sales opportunity predictability, high customer engagement, and value - the onboarding and training here is second to none.
    - Fun dynamic environment with real team spirit - yes the job may have high expectations but this is an active not passive sales role that helps you raise and refine your existing sales skills. I have sat in many meetings where the sales approach and professionalism has been praised by the customer as a mechanism to them achieving their own goals.
    - If you are committed to being the best salesperson you can be you will thoroughly enjoy the job, the culture, and your co-workers - this is a team of high performing individuals who enjoy being challenged and solutioning complex problems. As a tenured sales person at BMC I find the negative reviews of underperforming leavers more cathartic for their own exit versus an accurate reflection on reality.

Cons

- BMC internal processes can be complicated - improvements are being made to address this but not as quickly as could be
    - Internal meetings can get in the way of customer facing activity
    - Our pre-sales teams are world-class, but they can be stretched due to volume of opportunity

Advice to Management

- It is clear you care about BMC and how to make it better for the people who work here and our customers. I think the changes that have been made over the last 2 years have positively impacted our business and culture.
    - It might be worthwhile reviewing our recruitment partners

"Abandon hope all who enter!!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Winnersh, England
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Winnersh, England

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, good salary, nice offices

Cons

Where to start? I had heard many negative things about BMC before I joined, I was warned about the toxic environment and obsession with meaningless metrics but wasn’t prepared for just how bad it is. I’m bitterly disappointed by the fact that senior management seem to be blatantly ignoring what is going on in EMEA especially the UK office. Overly aggressive, bullying and demeaning approach to managing an extremely bright team across all sales roles appears to be the standard approach here. I hear of the same approach in services and training too with lots of very talented people leaving something needs to be done to put things right!

Advice to Management

You need to take this feedback seriously people joined BMC because they believed in the company and products show them you care about the contribution they make and stop trying to mould them into what you believe is required they were hired for their talents.

"If you value work-life balance and remotely care about ethics, do not join BMC UK"

Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I worked at BMC Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with great colleagues (but then they all leave)
    Sales kick off in Vegas is great fun and motivating (and that's where it ends)
    BMC hires top talent (but unfortunately is unable to retain them)
    High car allowance
    Great pre-sales talent (but a nightmare to get their time. You'll have to build internal business cases to use them. Sales management will say this is ensuring deals are fully qualified so time isn't wasted, but in reality it's scuppering deal progression)

Cons

Where do I start? As a sales rep based in the UK, I was being forced to un-learn all of my previous experience which had made me a successful salesperson, and become someone else, made to feel paranoid about my job security (despite being high performing), and forced to second guess my every move in the company. I look back and wonder why management instils fear amongst people they've invested so much time in hiring and training up, and I still cannot work it out.
    Given how focused the company is on metrics, here's one worth highlighting. There was close to 80% turnover in 1 year in the UK sales team. BMC might hire great people, but to expect them to stick around with daily cases of harassment, bullying and unnecessarily high pressure, is laughable (if it weren't so serious).
    My strong advice to anyone looking to join BMC is this. In addition to reading these reviews, use your network to speak to any former sales reps and understand first hand why they left the company so that you make an informed decision. You then have no one but yourself to blame when you're forced to quit, or have to sign off sick, or end up in a situation where you're questioning just how you got yourself into such an appallingly toxic environment.

Advice to Management

HQ - You must be aware of what's going on in the UK by now. Basic, fundamental management practices do not exist here, and experienced sales reps aren't trusted to do the job they've been hired to do, but instead forced to follow processes and fulfil metrics, and be humiliated regularly without exception. Unhappy, demoralised staff will not be able to be productive let alone hit their targets. Most of those hitting their targets still hate the job and want to leave. Why is this toxic environment being ignored? It's unacceptable and you have a duty to take action and listen to those on the front line who are being treated terribly. Be accountable and step up and do what any true manager should do.
    This was probably the most disappointing part of working at BMC. HR, direct line managers, and other managers, did very little to make tangible changes, and to help. They all stood back and watched staff crumble and/or leave. Where are your morals and business ethics?

"A toxic metrics driven sales culture that will give you anxiety"

Former Employee - UK Account Manager in Winnersh, England
    Former Employee - UK Account Manager in Winnersh, England

I worked at BMC Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1st class value sales training in Houston - the best I have experienced and will definitely carry this throughout my career.

Sales Kick off in Vegas was uplifting! I walked away feeling motivated (but that quickly changed....)

Free soda/tea/ coffee - Can't complain about that!

Cons

I worked for BMC in the new business team in the UK. It's an old school run sales culture with metrics shoved down your throat from day 1. The business has unrealistic expectations of the sales force. No support from a new business perspective, serve lack of pre-sales resource, the product set has missed the market by 2 years. They are not investing in the right markets to support the growth expectations. ServiceNow are eating BMC's lunch in every opportunity and are investing in all the right places. Which makes the job hard!!!

They have a drive by sales culture (sell the client a whole suite of tooling they don't need) then don't deliver any value on it or have any customer success in place to ensure of that defined value.

The business is no setup to deliver the figures expected from the board. The KKR takeover has cracked down even more on the metrics to deliver.

Advice to Management

Give autonomy to the sales force and trust they will do the job asked of them.

Move away from an autocratic culture...

Ease up on the metrics

"Life changing career move"

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Career development
    Earnings Potential
    Support Network
    Benefits

Cons

It's easy to get addicted to the work

Advice to Management

Changes are being made and the company is evolving. Keep going, it is getting better.

7. "Focussed and Impressive"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Program Management in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Program Management in London, England

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and perks that attract the best staff.

Cons

Thinks keep vanishing..... Like IT Support staff.

Advice to Management

The world extends beyond Houston. Removing IT support for the Houston staff would be unthinkable - so why have you done it in the European offices?

BMC Software Response

21 Jun 2018 – Employee Experience Coordinator

Thank you for feedback today. We really appreciate your 5-Star review and are glad that you are enjoying your experience at BMC. we also wanted to let you know that your feedback will be considered... More

"A fantastic opportunity to develop"

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Moving to BMC has been a massive turning point in my career, working under an inspirational leadership team that have provided the platform for me learn, earn and generally accelerate my development far beyond my expectations. There have been countless "pros" to working at BMC, but here are a few:

Industry-leading product portfolio
    Huge and continued investment in R&D to maintain leadership positions
    Clear strategic direction that is universally understood and regularly communicated across the organisation
    Proven/ repeatable sales process and engagement model that focusses on delivering maximum customer value
    Management and leadership team that is 100% committed to developing talent, which involves regular structured enablement and in-field coaching
    World class, dedicated pre-sales team
    Culture of collaboration and teamwork - definitely a sentiment of "feeling part of something"
    Flexible working (home-based contract)
    Uncapped earning potential

Cons

A restructure in the UK at the start of FY18 inevitably led to a hiring spree, as individuals were promoted and new teams were created from scratch. An eagerness to fill headcount as quickly as possible at the turn of the FY, whilst understandable, led to a small number of cases where individuals were hired despite not being the right "fit" culturally. This has since settled down and I am certain will not be repeated.

Advice to Management

Do not rush to fill headcount by hiring individuals that will compromise the organisation's ethos and culture...
    Keep standards high and keep up the good work! BMC is a fantastic place to work and I hope to remain here for many years to come.

"Account Manager"

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong customer oriented business.

Invests in training to help ensure high standards from employees.

Good quality and highly relevant products.

Building experienced and talented team on the ground.

Excellent benefits.

Cons

Business transformed in recent years in response to the market, leading to employee churn - but settling down now.

Junior sales management, in part, not adding sufficient value to the team due to relative inexperience.

Wider resources under pressure due to demand.

Advice to Management

Invest in coal face Sales management talent.

More non sales resource required.

"BMC - Bring More Culture..."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Surbiton, England
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Surbiton, England

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BMC is trying to transform as a business to move away from being a ‘legacy’ vendor, whom historically has been pigeonholed into the ITSM market, towards a more relevant vendor in adjacent high growth markets; Multi-Cloud Management and AI market etc. This is absolutely the right strategy, however the pace of this transformation (in BMC UK) is moving at glacial speed for the below reasons...

Cons

1. Toxic Culture: overly aggressive sales management approach with absolutely zero EQ to employees, and customers for that matter. BMC UK pretends to be evangelical about “value based selling” but the application of this methodology is not customer centric and when you strip it back is still very much drive-by software sales. The BladeLogic/PTC culture is still very evident in the Glengarry Glen Ross sales management style; the IT market is incredibly tight on talent and people won’t put up with it as per point 3 below - bottom line!
    2. Marker Reputation: as a result of point 1, BMC’s brand with the vast majority of UK customers is in tatters. Complete lack of trust, missing value realisation and ultimately a lack credibility caused by a highly abrasive sales “methodology”.
    3. HUMONGOUS ATTRITION - I’ve been in the industry for many years, at many large tech companies and I’m genuinely astonished by the attrition rate in the UK. People are leaving left right and centre, literally. This lack of continuity again loses huge credibility with customers who receive yet another “BMC Introduction” email from their fourth account manager in 12 months...

Advice to Management

@MR PETER LEAV - get yourself over to reform your rapidly failing UK business! The market potential is huge and we have some truly great sales talent, but we’re in dire need of a leadership shakeup to address the above 3 points. This will accelerate BMC’s transformation, will bring our culture out of the 90s, will boost employee morale and productivity which will in turn elevate our standing with many, many customers. Question : when was the last Employee Satisfaction/Feedback survey ? It would be a very wise idea to get the full consensus from the front-line sales team without the influence/input of management, just a thought.