Badoo Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.2
Badoo CEO Andrey Andreev
Andrey Andreev

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There are Great perks - free food and meals, health insurance, bonuses and so many parties" (in 19 reviews)

• "Badoo really is a great place to work" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "You will end up working long hours for substantial and arbitrary changes that "can't take that long"" (in 3 reviews)

• "Badoo is a heavily Russian dominated company, with that comes rampant sexism, racism and bigotry" (in 2 reviews)

"Wonderful, crazy place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Badoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has the highest concentration of the smarters, brightest people I've seen. It's awesome and sometimes very inspiring.
    Challenging work environment. Standards are high.
    It remains a true meritocracy - want to launch a new product to the market, you can. Want to be a Director still in your 20s, you can.
    No fear of trying new things - build, break, build something else, keep iterating.
    Pay is good - they know if you buy cheap you buy twice, and they compensate people accordingly.
    New leadership team, and they're definitely moving in the right direction of addressing issues.
    The business outlook is phenomenal - growth growth growth, everything seems on the up trajectory.
    About the offices & perks & food - I don't need to repeat the 80 other people here.

Cons

Tolerance for not delivering is low. The system rejects wafflers and bluffers quickly. This can lead to 'blunt facts only' subcultures that don't mingle well with rest of the business.
    The visibility of founders has reduced to specific areas - tech, product, design. I guess it comes from growing big, but would be great to see them nd hear them more.
    The standards in tech and development are so high, career development title-wize can feel limited. Some leave for 'senior' titles and easier roles elsewhere. And then come back.

Advice to Management

All Hands is good, even more comms would be great.
    Keep fixing things and building solutions.

"Great prospect"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England

I have been working at Badoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Last year the direction of the company seemed lost, but recent changes in management show a positive outlook. There's a great expectation of growth. It's the right time to join Badoo.

Cons

In certain parts of the company there's still an aggressive and racist culture. The new marketing management has brought a fresh air and is actively working to change that legacy, but there's much still to be done in other departments eg. Engineering.

Advice to Management

Make the tough decisions that must be taken to change the negative culture of Badoo, even if it affects founder friendships or relationships.

"Great place to learn"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in London, England
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in London, England

I have been working at Badoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Badoo has the resources of a big company but it moves really fast.
    It has great managers that are open to discuss new ideas. You can learn a lot in different areas of marketing.
    The company also has a lot of incredible perks - it's insane, even for tech.

Cons

As in any startup, there are lots of changes and you need to learn how to navigate through ambiguity. But that's alsoi part of the fun!

Advice to Management

Keep this direction. Let's do monthly parties again!

"Bullying culture"

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Badoo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, healthcare, dental and drinks every Friday. Central location.

Cons

Poor management. They hire people at a senior level who don’t know what they’re doing - it’ll then be seen as your fault if results aren’t as expected, or if projects don’t go to plan.

Everything is always last minute (usually product team churning out yet more features) and management are constantly change their minds about what they want - there is no clear sense of direction. It’s like the blind leading the blind up there.

Teams within the company are always fighting each other. You will never experience rudeness like this. Your results will be ripped apart by people you’ve never even spoken to and never directly, it’s always in front of the whole company on emails.

A lot of restructuring on certain teams, resulting in redundancies with barely any notice and insufficient pay off. There’s no employee loyalty at Badoo.

Culture of bullying. There are some people in the “power room” as they call it, who in another company would have been fired years ago. They will threaten you and throw you under the bus constantly.

Bad pay is disguised by things like free food and parties. Good luck trying to get a raise, as you’ll constantly be chasing your own tail trying to prove yourself to “the powers” who are all men.

Advice to Management

- Pay people better
    - Put a stop to bullying from the top down
    - Hire people who know what they’re doing / can do their job, not just because they came from a well-known company
    - Try to establish some kind of direction for the brand
    - Stop releasing features for the sake of it

"Racist, Homophobic, Backwards."

Former Employee - Local Account Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Local Account Manager in London, England

I worked at Badoo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, health insurance, location

Cons

This company is flawed from the top down. Management don’t know what they want and don’t know how to navigate co-founders when they throw their toys out of the pram.

The company has a new direction every month, led by a sub-par product team introducing new features in an attempt to make quick cash at the cost of a decent product.

Employee loyalty is not something that exists in Badoo - the HR team fumble their way through one disaster to the next and do whatever they can to do contain each disaster.

Rapid turnover of staff. Terrible product. Terrible leadership.

Unfortunately a company with so much potential will never achieve it due to lack of leadership, purpose and direction.

"Excellent"

Current Employee - Senior Android Developer in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Android Developer in London, England

I have been working at Badoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good compensation and bonus scheme, free food 3 times a day, very interesting take and smart people.

Cons

Let's do more parties as it was before!

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Marketing in London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing in London, England

I worked at Badoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Food is amazing and parties are great.

Cons

Management are unable to resource people effectively - not allocating tasks efficiently, no option for promotion, salaries are very low, staff are completely demotivated due to not being involved in the strategy and development of the company, certain departments have undergone strict restructuring measure and are at risk of redundancy. There is no effective communication between management and team members.

"Great opportunities for engineers & developers"

Current Employee - Frontend Developer in London, England
    Current Employee - Frontend Developer in London, England

I have been working at Badoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work in global company with global scope. This is one of the main pros. Everyday is great challenge to become better developer working with different projects inside company.

Cons

I didn't notice so far any controversial aspects.

"Great place to work and genuinely enjoy coming into work"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager In Product in London, England
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager In Product in London, England

I have been working at Badoo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've never worked in this industry before so Badoo has been a change. It's an interesting industry and is very 'tech' based, so I have been enjoying it. I've been here for about 6 months!

Badoo is very multi-cultural and it's probably the best place I've worked for several reasons. The talent here is incredible, we seem to have a really high bar, when it comes to hiring, so I can go to any colleague/team in another department and expect a good job/good answer. It can be really frustrating when this isn't the case.

I've been in 7 companies previously in my full time roles, in different cities. Previous companies, I've been lucky to have a fruit bowl and cereal. Here we have 3 meals a day cooked by some good chefs, fully stocked fridges all day for whatever you want and parties etc. It's just really good, they really look after you.

They even have a medicine cabinet and vitamins etc. That makes me laugh because I've never had that before, never heard of it actually.

All our equipment like desks, chairs and computers are all top notch as well.

Even though 500 people work here, you end up dealing with the CTO or CFO etc, no matter what you're level. It very much feels like a 'start-up' but it's actually a sizeable and quickly growing company.

All senior staff are pretty much approachable and I've seen people get promoted here already etc, I've also seen people move departments if they've wanted to.

Turnover seems very low to be honest, some people have left while I've been here but 90% of them had been here for 4+ years. I believe that's quite low for the tech industry!

I genuinely enjoy working here and I think most people would.

Salaries, bonuses and perks etc seem above average compared to most places and anyone else I know in other industries.

Cons

There's cons of working anywhere. Badoo is growing quickly and obviously there's the obvious growing pains of processes etc, but that's for each team to sort and it's the natural outcome of a growing company. Everyone is really pragmatic though and smart as I mentioned above, so things are always improving.

It's certainly a 'fast-paced' place to work as we're trying to grow quickly and there's loads of smart people, that can take a short while to get used to if you're from slower industries, but it's not an issue. They just want results so they can continue growing. It's a good thing tbh!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, improve all departments equally and ensure everyone is looked after (which you do anyway)!

"Stop ignoring the elephant in the room"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at Badoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will be showered with money constantly: best tools money can buy, devices, conferences...
    You will have food 24/7, booze every Friday and massive parties. It's great if you never grow up.
    If you are not under the "eye of sauron" you'll manage to have a happy life... Until you do.

Cons

The most toxic environment for your mental well-being I have ever seen.
    Nobody cares about you
    If you don't speak Russian, you are in the apartheid, and you'll be left out.
    Additionally, if you are not an engineer in a revenue generating position, you are second class. Maybe third.
    High turnover. Try to ask how long your interviewers have been around. Ask why people leave. This, together with their difficulty to hire, will make incompetent or not fit for teamwork people stick around and never be fired.
    Big pressure spikes for no good reason. You'll be asked to work during weekends for things that could have been planned but nobody bothered. You will be burnt and overworked in the name of "hard working", but try to see any director or VP staying later than 6.
    Promotions are arbitrary and a way of trying to make people not leave, not praising their abilities. You may be the best, but won't progress until you threaten to leave.
    The eye of sauron will come. Suddenly, people from the self proclaimed "power room" (scary, but it's just the directors) will sniff, tear apart and micro manage every single aspect of what you do. You will be discredited, shout at and made feel worthless in front of everyone else.
    You will be part of bizarre events, drunk people surrounded by half naked women and children, where they will spend big money on getting you distracted from all the cons (perhaps forget them even after that much booze)
    Misogyny, racism and bigotry will be part of your every day. And when you try to raise it, nobody will see the problem with it.
    One of the most ridiculous parenthood allowances in the London tech industry (the exact bare minimum)

Advice to Management

Stop ignoring the elephant in the room. There may be a reason for why you can't hire people from Europe anymore.
    Not everything can be solved with money.
    Let people who know what they do solve the problems you pay them for.
    Stop micro managing every single aspect of a given product.
    Don't hold fake all-hands with pre approved questions: if you don't accept questions from the audience it's just a company update.
    Admit your mistakes. You are so busy praising yourselves that you create a bubble of delusion and may even forget the major mistakes done in the recent past, only to repeat them over and over again.
    Get proper company values, then create a company culture, then promote it with funny posters. Not the other way around.
    You are not Facebook. You are not Google. You are not Uber. Get over it.
    And please, stop bribing people into writing fake reviews. There are too obvious and they should embarrass yourselves. No place has "no cons".

Badoo Response

9 Mar 2018 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback.

It is very disappointing to hear about your bad experience at Badoo, especially as it is based on misinformation about the biannual promotion cycles, our above-average... More