Badoo Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.9
Badoo CEO Andrey Andreev
Andrey Andreev

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great perks, free food and massages" (in 23 reviews)

• "Last but not least, there are still a few people that work a lot and its super fun to work with" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Limited career growth potential" (in 3 reviews)

• "To begin with, I was working for Badoo for almost two years before the new marketing team was created" (in 3 reviews)

"Finally Marketing team has great management"

Current Employee - Performance Marketing Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Performance Marketing Manager in London, England

I have been working at Badoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Smart and open managers you can learn from and discuss new ideas with
    - Clear direction and performance-driven culture
    - Great perks, free food and massages
    - Open access to founder and senior management

Cons

Marketing had a lot of low performers. It was really demotivating to work in that environment. Some reviews criticize marketing management but they had to deal witb people who weren't used to working.
    The people who complain about the CMO: he had to deal with people who were stealing money from the company and even buy personal shoes on corporate cards. Have a moment of honesty about hwat you were doing.
    It's great to see that all this was finally sorted.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great talent, we have been waiting for this change for long. Excited for things to come!

2 Sep 2018 – HR Director

Hey, thanks for your review, and for being excited about things to come.

Whilst our CMO had to take tough decisions on re-designing the marketing function, it was not on any of the grounds you... More

2. "Great company if you don't expect personal growth"

Former Employee - Influencer Marketing Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Influencer Marketing Manager in London, England

I worked at Badoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- exciting environment
    - great food
    - multicultural company

Cons

- bad management
    - employees are not valued

"The best place for senior mobile developer"

Current Employee - Mobile Developer in London, England
    Current Employee - Mobile Developer in London, England

I have been working at Badoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Badoo has the best mobile development team in Europe. The company hires senior developers only. Guys write the best code I’ve ever seen using the best world’s practices.
    - The job is really interesting. We implement a features, cover a code with a unit tests & an automation interfaces, provide an A/B tests, implement our own frameworks, integrate an UI snapshot tests and write a documentation. Devs are really proud of the product they create.
    - Salary & bonuses are high even for London.
    - Cool benefits, good food in the office & awesome parties every week. First I thought they’re a minor advantage. But now I see how they increase the quality of my life a lot.

Cons

- The culture could be extremely bad outside of the mobile development department. Take a look on other Glassdoor’s reviews about that.
    - HR team is a disaster. You’ll be fighting for your money, bonuses & compensations for the first few months. Your first salary could be delayed and rearranged to a next month.
    - HR team is a disaster #2. You could be ignored on each step of a hiring process. Even if you have an offer, you could be put to ignore-list by a mistake. If you’re a candidate then you better have a known-person in the dev-team to provide a pressure on HRs.

Advice to Management

- Keep working on an in-office relationships & culture. No one likes to hear filthy language or to see anyone being offended.
    - HR team should be taken by the control of HRs from Moscow’s office at least. Badoo hires the top-level developers; MB it’s time to hire top-level HRs too?
    - The minor :) Too many vegetarian food, we just don’t have so much vegans in our team.

"Wonderful, crazy place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Badoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has the highest concentration of the smarters, brightest people I've seen. It's awesome and sometimes very inspiring.
    Challenging work environment. Standards are high.
    It remains a true meritocracy - want to launch a new product to the market, you can. Want to be a Director still in your 20s, you can.
    No fear of trying new things - build, break, build something else, keep iterating.
    Pay is good - they know if you buy cheap you buy twice, and they compensate people accordingly.
    New leadership team, and they're definitely moving in the right direction of addressing issues.
    The business outlook is phenomenal - growth growth growth, everything seems on the up trajectory.
    About the offices & perks & food - I don't need to repeat the 80 other people here.

Cons

Tolerance for not delivering is low. The system rejects wafflers and bluffers quickly. This can lead to 'blunt facts only' subcultures that don't mingle well with rest of the business.
    The visibility of founders has reduced to specific areas - tech, product, design. I guess it comes from growing big, but would be great to see them nd hear them more.
    The standards in tech and development are so high, career development title-wize can feel limited. Some leave for 'senior' titles and easier roles elsewhere. And then come back.

Advice to Management

All Hands is good, even more comms would be great.
    Keep fixing things and building solutions.

"Tech role"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Badoo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- smart co-workers
    - high salaries
    - expect gaining lots of experience and grow professionally
    - free lunches, breakfasts, massages, looooots of perks
    - cosy
    - very vibrant company

Cons

- politics starting from some level.
    - there are many people that seem grumpy on the first glance, mostly coming from Russia. This might make you feel uncomfortable, but this is only until the first vodka party where it turns out they are the sweetest people in the world. But next day, you might see them grumpy again. In general, russian way of communicating is way more explicit and might be considered rude for westerners. You might or might not like it.
    - no one is really passionate about the app
    - php, ffs

Generally speaking, although it is really cofortable working there, you might get bored after several years of working there. It might be frustrating to the founders, but the truth is, the product is about making the money, and not changing the world, and free food and massages cannot compensate for this.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice to management. They are all unique and vibrant personalities and it will be a loss if they change.

"Great prospect"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England

I have been working at Badoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Last year the direction of the company seemed lost, but recent changes in management show a positive outlook. There's a great expectation of growth. It's the right time to join Badoo.

Cons

In certain parts of the company there's still an aggressive and racist culture. The new marketing management has brought a fresh air and is actively working to change that legacy, but there's much still to be done in other departments eg. Engineering.

Advice to Management

Make the tough decisions that must be taken to change the negative culture of Badoo, even if it affects founder friendships or relationships.

"Great place to learn"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in London, England
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in London, England

I have been working at Badoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Badoo has the resources of a big company but it moves really fast.
    It has great managers that are open to discuss new ideas. You can learn a lot in different areas of marketing.
    The company also has a lot of incredible perks - it's insane, even for tech.

Cons

As in any startup, there are lots of changes and you need to learn how to navigate through ambiguity. But that's alsoi part of the fun!

Advice to Management

Keep this direction. Let's do monthly parties again!

"Swings and roundabouts"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Badoo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Showered in gifts and bonuses
    - Free food
    - Bizarre, over the top parties

Cons

- Russian run company - you'll be inundated with presents but then fired at a moment's notice.
    - Have you heard of Badoo? Have your friends heard of Badoo? No. It's a failing brand. It won't last long - they know it, you know it. That's why management are in full on panic mode and firing people at random.
    - The future is about Bumble which actually has an identity.
    - Avoid this place like you would a horde of zombies (as a side note, management have about as much intuition as a zombie) - don't be drawn in by the salary and promise of progression. You will be used until the next panic and then discarded. But you might have enough time on the way out to steal some food.

Advice to Management

Give up. You know it's over.

2 Sep 2018 – HR Director

Hey, thanks for your review.
    Sad to hear you sensed panic from the management team, as we're aligned on the accelerated growth strategy.
    We'll take your feedback on board for communicating the... More

"Low Value of Staff"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in London, England

I worked at Badoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You will work with some great, fun and intelligent people
    - Quarterly parties
    - Free food

Cons

- Bullying environment, especially within the new Marketing Department
    - Hardly value staff or the work they do
    - Expect a toxic working environment
    - No clear career growth
    - No career stability, expect constant uncertainties in your role
    - Rude management

Advice to Management

- Don't lie to your team (especially if your position is as high as CMO)
    - Assess the real value of team members
    - Actually be transparent
    - Take on board feedback rather than just dishing it out

"Racist environment, no trust between colleagues"

I worked at Badoo full-time

Pros

One of the pros is the company is located in Soho, which is very central. Another pro is that Badoo is offering free food to its employees. Last but not least, there are still a few people that work a lot and its super fun to work with.

Cons

To begin with, I was working for Badoo for almost two years before the new marketing team was created. Unfortunately, this new team manipulated me and my team to sign new contracts, putting us all on probation again. They never gave us any other option (either this role or we had to leave the company) and they have been lying to us from the beginning. Another con of Badoo is the culture of gossip and bullying among the teams and more specifically the marketing team. When my team and I decided to accept this position we weren't expecting such a terrible behaviour not only from the new people in senior positions but from the managers as well. After two months, of not doing anything, of being humiliated and lied the new marketing team decided to fire more than ten people from the marketing team with the excuse of redundancy or failure of passing the probation. We haven't received any feedback or warning of not doing our jobs well since the managers were so busy going to meetings. I personally feel very disappointed, betrayed and manipulated from Badoo which I used to love.

Advice to Management

Try not to lie to your employees especially if you're in a high position. Listen to your employees and value their work.

2 Sep 2018 – HR Director

Hi, thanks for leaving a review.
    2018 has been turbulent for all marketing teams as we are re-organising the way we deliver marketing value to our suite of brands. It is the first time in 12 years... More