Beamery Reviews

Updated 22 Feb 2021

4.1
Beamery Chief Executive Officer Abakar Saidov (no image)
Abakar Saidov
Pros
  • "fast-paced environment - you won't get a chance to get bored, there is always something new coming up(in 4 reviews)

• "Lots of talented people to learn from and share knowledge with(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not a con, but yes things are fast paced so be ever-ready(in 5 reviews)

• "As much of a pro as a con in some ways - being a growing company comes with growing pains(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

"High growth, fast pace of change, moving in the right direction"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Beamery full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company going through transformation to empowering / enabling departments/teams/staff to be autonomous. No politics - focus on solving problems and doing "the right thing"/"getting things done". Evolution process is continuous with lots of learning as company moves forwards and scales operations. Leadership strives to be more of an enabling / servant style, from time to time still flips to direct leadership style if there is a crisis showing that org/processes still need to mature.

Cons

Very fast pace - business is growing (check out Delloite Top 50, Future Fifty 2020 lists etc) and commercial needs outpace capacity and capabilities. Lots of context switching yet striving to be as focused as possible plus help eventually arrives. There is still overtime but its not systemic/sustained - much better vs previous year (have been at Beamery for nearly 2 years) - for example releases use be be all hands on deck exercise including weekend overtime but not anymore.

Continue reading

"Ambitious company with some serious areas to work on"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Beamery full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Very interesting product and industry -Good pay -You work with some incredibly smart people

Cons

-Autonomy is quite poor since senior management work on the lowest level of detail. People in power being in the weeds leaves little to no freedom for teams. -As with most startups, the product is built on legacy code which makes for a very long and painful release process for everyone - engineering, product and design. Also means that there are many incoming bugs from customers. -The employee turnover rate is high as other reviews have pointed out. -Heavily reliant on big customers that basically tell you what to do and when. This means deadlines! -Senior management can be rude sometimes by frequently interrupting you to share how they see things to be.

Continue reading

3. "Fast paced, some growing pains"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Beamery full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some teams are really great - very talented and warm individuals who make it fun to come to work every day. There has been a lot of effort in recent months to ease working from home - budget for every employee to set up their home office, a tax refund and personal wellness days. The last "off-site" (which was actually at home) was not a Zoom fest but a mix of group activities, podcast and pre-recorded videos and was well organised. Fast paced and challenging environment if that's what you're looking for.

Cons

A *lot* of meetings - had to be limited to 2 days a week for engineers to make sure we had focus days. Last minute scope changes can get frustrating. Long release cycles (up to a couple of months between working on something and it being delivered to production). A lot of process in place to avoid issues on release but feel more like obstacles.

"Great Company"

I have been working at Beamery full-time

Pros

One of the fastest growing companies in Europe. Amazing culture and great leadership.

Cons

None I can think of

"Ambitious, well-run company"

Current Employee - Tech Team

I have been working at Beamery full-time

Pros

Strong tech team culture (the hackathon was amazing) Great Engineering Managers who are great communicators + have good leadership Gives time for tech maintenance Good communication

Cons

Engineers are not given a lot of opportunities to understand product decisions + have a say in product roadmap Still developing career growth framework, no clear structure in place Could have more diversity initiatives

6. COVID-19

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Senior Product Designer in London, England

I have been working at Beamery full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Excellent atmosphere - Good salary and fair reviews - Interesting projects - Extremely clear and open communication

Cons

- Joined the company during lockdown and didn't really have the chance to meet the team in person

7. COVID-19

"Come and join us! We're growing fast!"

Current Employee - Senior Front-End Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Beamery full-time for less than a year

Pros

- team structure (team topologies) - cross-functional agile teams up to 10 people that have end to end ownership on different areas of the product - passionate people who know what they're doing - modern tech stack: micro front-ends, microservices, company transitioning to GraphQL - Javascript house - solid testing at all levels - fast-paced environment - you won't get a chance to get bored, there is always something new coming up - leadership is making continuous efforts to improve - we use data to back up our communication - competitive package - the company is going through an amazing journey and you'll get a chance to hop on board - job security - despite Covid we've been growing at a substantial rate - good work to life balance - if you want to work hard you'll get your chance, if at times you have to take care of personal stuff you'll have the liberty to do so

Cons

- complicated back end infrastructure and architecture making it hard to transition to full-stack development but things are changing for the better with every sprint - monolithic deployments, long and complicated releases and high lead time - things are improving fast in this area as well with the architecture evolving towards independent services - some important components are written in Go and are a massive overhead considering we're a JS house - there are plans to replace them - sometimes it's hard to negotiate engineering items with Product as they want to push features forward but Engineering wants quality and robustness - each team is responsible for a big number of features/areas of the product; this results in a significant number of bugs and requests coming in each sprint which puts a lot of pressure on the planned items - as we hire more engineers this problem will be reduced - there is a fair amount of legacy code going across the stack which people aren't very excited to touch - some of this code is slowly strangled and deprecated- some is here to stay for the foreseeable future

8. COVID-19

"Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - SRE/DevOps Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Beamery full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is the first smallish company I've ever worked for and it's a breath of fresh air to be able to able to make real influence over the future of the company, even from the lower ranks. Management seem to really care about listening to everyones ideas and concerns. Achievements are recognised and celebrated! The company has really tried to look after everyone during the trying year to date with Covid. It's really felt like a family even though we're all not together at the moment. Work life balance is really flexible which is great especially at the moment. I've learnt more in the last year than I have in the previous 10 at other roles. The technology stack is first rate and up to date with current technology trends . It's been a very steep learning curve but in a good way. It's awesome to be working with a great team of very smart professionals.

Cons

Some growing pains especially around legacy code and design decisions that were made in the early days but a lot of that is already being addressed and isn't anywhere near as bad as I've had to deal with in previous roles.

9. COVID-19

"Good work-life balance and Employee Satisfaction"

Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Beamery full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best part about Beamery is, you are allowed to bring in the change. So, make the most of it and take the initiative. - Great product - Super quick hiring process - Cross-communication across teams. - Culture is engaging and social activities are not forced fun, you’ll just blend it - Flexible working hours + Unlimited holidays - Amazing team structure & some really great engineers + teammates - Cutting edge technology - Competitive salary. We’ve had a bonus even during during these hard times - Office equipment to WFH better during this pandemic - Amazing office VP Engineering is very encouraging, dynamic has improved process incredibly in the team + has brilliant ideas / vision for the future for the team. We can clearly see the difference comparing the process this vs. last year. QA Tribe - group of extremely talented individuals + look out for each other. Don’t let the hate/absurd reviews on Glassdoor, fool you. No company is perfect, it’s up to every employee to make it better.

Cons

Not a con, but yes things are fast paced so be ever-ready. We are getting better with every passing day.

Continue reading

"Trust and Professional Development"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in London, England

I have been working at Beamery full-time for less than a year

Pros

- There is a good level of trust in the data science team and individuals are expected to own and see through their work. - Very good culture in terms of humility, respect, and encouragement - Knowledgeable individuals

Cons

The team is new, so some of the practices will take time to mature.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 56 English Reviews