Behringer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

1.7
Behringer Founder & CEO Uli Behringer
Uli Behringer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Pirated products + Pirate culture + crooked leader = Behringer"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Behringer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of working at Behringer was leaving.

Cons

Disturbing use of talents. Engineers don't innovate, they reverse engineer as per the instruction of the sociopathic CEO who thinks he is Steve Jobs (he is not). As an engineer, this is not the place you go to innovate and do great things. This is where you go to learn to rip off other companies designs and recreate them using the absolute cheapest parts.

Advice to Management

Sell the company and retire. You are a cancer to the industry.

"Fear is a weapon..."

Pros

I absolutely made some of the best friends ever!!!.. Above and beyond the daily crap, there was always a laugh, locally, only because we were all in the same sinking boat!!!

Cons

Too much control, not enough understanding of business practice's. Counting on your "trusted" people to give you an answer that they have ABSOLUTELY no clue about. The worst is when you are told the truth, you do whatever you have to do to destroy that person's life.... I live by Karma and I know your's is coming...

Advice to Management

Shut the door!!!

"This place is like a penny....worthless and two-faced!"

Former Employee - Over IT
    Former Employee - Over IT

I worked at Behringer full-time

Pros

The employees are pretty cool and very hard working. Most are musicians and have a passion for music.

Cons

This place can be classified as a chaotic hell, and the CEO loves the smell of fear and rotting employee corpses. All the negative things that you read on the forums, internet, and on glassdoor are true. It doesn't matter who you are, how amazing you are, or your skill set. You will be set up to fail and become another number. Heed all the warnings and just look for a job elsewhere. Also, the pay is way below average and they might mention the possibility for a raise etc, but I guarantee it will never happen, even if you receive a promotion all you will receive is an "Uli Buck", which can be redeemed for company swag....don't ask, anyways this place is bad! Just run!!!

Advice to Management

You're all ruining your reputations in the industry....when you become regular gossip and the laughing stock of the music industry, you should realize that you are in deep. Cut your losses and run too......

"The worst mistake of my life."

I worked at Behringer full-time

Pros

Really awesome co-workers. The people who work there are great. For the most part. Watch for spies.

Cons

Uli Behringer is a sociopath, plain and simple. Seriously, you can't imagine how awful it is to work with this nutcase. Rapid turnover. You might have a job and get fired for no reason weeks later. It happens A LOT.

Advice to Management

Uli, go stick your head in a blender you psycho.

"I bought the ticket, I took the ride."

I worked at Behringer full-time

Pros

With only a couple exceptions, everyone in the Bothell office was great too work with. PTO and Benefits package were generous.

Cons

Pay was well below average, I made about $15k a year less than the median salary for my position. Location was also terrible--I had to commute out to office-park hell in the middle of nowhere.

A lot has been said about the CEO and Senior Management. Most of it is on the mark. It is a company that is perpetually in transition. Most plans and strategies aren't given a fair chance to play out before Senior Management is urged to change the direction, usually at the prodding of CEO. It's a scatterbrained, chaotic approach--one that hasn't paid off considering the turnover, low morale, and the rumored closure of more than one office.

Terms like "Knee-jerk" and "anal-retentive" are in no way an exaggeration and are fairly generous compared to what get thrown around in the office when nobody was listening.

People who show initiative get canned the fastest, due to non-conformity with Uli's "vision." Best to keep your head down and quietly get your work done--or as much as you can considering molasses-slow approvals and critical systems (phone, email, etc) being down more often than not.

I think the team could have gotten a lot done and made the company a boatload of money had Uli, et al stayed out of the way and let us actually do our work.

Quite often I expected the lights to be turned off and the locks changed when I showed up on Monday morning.

Advice to Management

Honestly, Uli... It's time to sell the company.

Your vision for the company is so rigid that you will never find people who match up with your ideas unless you're willing to compromise. As long as you keep your iron grip tight, what happened in the Bothell and UK offices will keep repeating over and over again.

You say you micro-manage because nobody gets the work done right. Nobody will ever get the work done to your standard of "right" until you clone yourself Multiplicity-style.

In the short term, if you want to improve employee morale: treat your employees better.
    Want to solve the turnover problem? Stop %#€£ing firing everybody.

Since that is unlikely to happen, though: Cash in while you can, while there is still a business to sell. With all that extra time you'll finally be able to catch up on your sleep, and there will be plenty of time to play jazz piano.

"Need improvement on a lot of things"

I worked at Behringer full-time

Pros

Most of the people I have worked with are nice and helpful.

Cons

CEO only listens to suggestions from upper management and makes decisions that are impossible to execute then blames the people when something goes wrong.

Advice to Management

Listen to people, learn to value your people, and think before you decide. Learn the business process flow for each department before implementing any process improvement.

"Good Products, Not-so-good Employer"

Former Employee - Senior/Global Position in Bothell, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior/Global Position in Bothell, WA (US)

I worked at Behringer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good products for the price point. Plenty of opportunities for battlefield promotions. Sharpens your firefighting skills.

Cons

Paranoia and distrust are rampant, CEO is also the owner, Chairman, Head of R&D, and ridiculously involved in the day-to-day minutia. You've seen the term "knee-jerk reaction" in about a dozen of these reviews, and that is 100% correct. Those decisions led to customer dissatisfaction and lost good will from dealers and distributors. And those fires had to be fought (constantly) by people who were invariably sacrificed to protect the guy who set the fhem. That's what happens when you are accountable to nobody.

Advice to Management

Be accountable for the impact of those knee-jerk and otherwise irrational decisions, and change the process to prevent further damage.

"Plenty of other opportunities in Seattle"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA (US)

I worked at Behringer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Everyone is in the same boat
    - Decent local team atmosphere

Cons

- Micromanaged at all levels (Culture pushed by C-level execs)
    - All tasks are monitored at all levels
    - Managers are questioned regularly about their team member's value-add ("why do we even have this person?")
    - Unclear corporate direction
    - Employees forcibly silo'd into roles
    - Processes create dysfunctional environment
    - Pay is below average
    - Stress is extremely high across organization
    - Minimal communication
    - No cross-organizational synchronization
    - Cheap is better than good
    - Fast is better than good
    - Employees are personally blamed for failures of global process or unclear direction from execs
    - Dis-jointed groups that work against each other
    - Focus is on completing tasks, not improving company
    - Unethical management practices both internally and with business partners
    - No Stock
    - No Bonus

Advice to Management

Change the culture
    Hire a business oriented CEO
    Focus on quality of employees, and not quantity

"don't even think about it"

I worked at Behringer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

there is none at all.

Cons

Obviously there is a lot of cons.

Advice to Management

listen and value your people

"Run For The Hills"

I worked at Behringer full-time

Pros

Most of the employees are very pleasant to work with, but upper management is insane

Cons

Salary, Upper Management, Policies, Big Brother Approach, Lack of training on systems, Lack of Communication, Poor Planning, No Bonus Plan, Inability to take a lunch or even go to the restroom without being micromanaged. Maybe the company should implement a hall pass policy so we can eat and go to the restroom in peace! This place was by far the worst place I have ever worked in my entire life!!!!!!! If you see an ad to hire, run for the hills...............You don't want to be sucked into this vortex. You're liable to suffer both physically and mentally if you stay too long. Toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Start Over and hire people that have integrity. The lie, cheat, steal mentality is not a good business model for long term success. You have too many of these types in the organization.