Binding Site Reviews

Updated 8 Jun 2021

3.7
Binding Site CEO Charles de Rohan (no image)
Charles de Rohan
Pros
  • "Friendly culture, good atmosphere and nice working environment(in 7 reviews)

• "birmingham city centre(in 4 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Low pay compared to other jobs in the sector, they really play the 'we are the only biotech company in Birmingham' card(in 5 reviews)

• "Driving into centre of Birmingham cam be difficult but close to train which is an option for some, or bus or bike ( they do cycle to work scheme)(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A great place to work

19 Mar 2021 - Chemistry Specialist in Birmingham, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have really enjoyed working for The Binding Site after graduating from the University of Birmingham. There are great opportunities for development, with myself progressing from technician to specialist within six months. There is a wealth of training into a range of techniques available, with managers always welcoming questions and professional development . The Binding Site is a customer-driven and staff-focused company, hosting many virtual activities to help staff from across the world engage with the team. It is a fantastic place to work to get a “foot in the door” in lab-based roles and in-vitro diagnostics, with a great reputation across the world.

Cons

It is rapidly becoming quite a large company, which is great for the business but it can mean that individuals have less independence and responsibility as they may in a smaller company, but there are a lot more opportunities available and it is a great work environment.

UK Recruitment Manager

Thank you so much for your positive review, it is fantastic to hear about your wonderful journey so far. As a business we are committed to providing a culture for our employees to grow and giving individuals the opportunities for development and training. It is great to hear about your own progression from Technician to Specialist and I want to take this opportunity to say well done. This supports our overall internal progression with 40% of all roles filled internally, which is our priority to develop and grow our internal talent at every opportunity possible. We are really pleased that you find The Binding Site a great place to work and are supported by the Management Team , this demonstrates our continued focus to ensure our culture remains all about our people. You are absolutely right about the growth of our business, we are incredibly fortunate that we are in this position, particularly given the current climate and we do appreciate this can affect how our teams work and function, we continue to listen to our teams and are always open to suggestions so please feel to share any feedback directly with your employee forum rep, HR or Line Managers. Once again thanks for your review.

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Management should really listen

8 Jun 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good work being done for equality and diversity - Most people are friendly, fun and helpful - Great summer and christmas parties - Good at filling positions with internal candidates - Science focused

Cons

- Pay much, much lower than industry average - Absolute minimum parental leave - 3 days off sick and you get investigated - Require a lengthy development plan to get promoted, and then have to wait a further 12-18 months to get your full salary - Not quick enough to sort out bullying - Expect you to be flexible but aren't flexible in return - Lack of control in manufacturing means long customer delays and out of stocks

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

A unique company with excellent opportunities

30 Jan 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The binding site is a unique company to work for, it creates an innovative environment which allows us to improve patient lives. You don’t get much more worthwhile than that in a job. The people I work with daily are so nice and are doing their very best in such difficult times with the outside world. We are a collaborative workforce who want the best for ourselves and our customers. It’s a business that wants to continually improve on what we already do and I am proud to work for such a great company with managers and leaders who want to listen to what others have to say. For those who have posted such negative reviews, you aren’t portraying a true picture of what a great place it is to work or you haven’t tried to resolve what you have perceived to be an issue. We are key workers l, impacting patient lives and being derogatory to such an important company is wrong

Cons

Review the planning to reduce the impact on people and processes and help supervisors with workload

1 person found this review helpful

UK Recruitment Manager

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review of your time at TBS. It really is very pleasing to hear your positive comments around our environment , people and business priorities. We absolutely agree our people make our business a great place to work and this is something we are committed to continue to improve in the future. We collaboratively engage across the business to ensure improving patients lives is our ultimate goal and our key focus, ensuring that we continually review our processes and remain innovative in our approach. Our teams dedication, enthusiasm & integrity is what makes our business different and certainly something we are very proud of. I whole heartily agree we always endeavour to operate as a business that is professional, transparent and fair, giving all our employees the opportunities to talk freely and suggest recommendations for improvement through listening groups, line managers and our Employee forum. Unfortunately, we do have a very small number who feel that public platforms are the right channel to communicate their frustrations rather than the channels we provide. We are so pleased you feel proud to work for TBS and ask for your continued support to highlight any concerns around planning through to the relevant channels or to HR so we can support the relevant areas and continue to improve in the appropriate way. Thank you for your advice of investment of our teams, TBS are committed to promote internally and support our teams with, in the past 12 months we have had over 40% of all our opportunities filled internally which demonstrates the amazing talent we have and we are so proud off. We are committed to continue to support development through our learning offerings and annual reviews. If you feel you want to discuss anything please reach out directly to your manager or HR. Once again thank you.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee

Good company

24 May 2021 - Lab Technician in Birmingham, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Companywide benefits are very good. HR is brilliant.

Cons

Disorganised at times in lab

Business Manager, Vermont

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are pleased to hear your positive comments around our company benefits this is something we are regularly reviewing. We have recently extended our benefit range further to include a healthcare provision for all employees which offers a huge array of benefits from claiming back your dental bills, prescription charges or new glasses up to an annual limit, to discounted gym membership and health consultations included free counselling sessions, children are also covered for free. We also welcome your positive comments on our HR function as we take pride in offering the best support to all our colleagues and have expanded our team this year to ensure we continually add value to our ever growing business, we strive to provide the best for all of our employees as they are at the heart of everything we do. In terms of your comments around the disorganised lab environment, this is disheartening to hear and if you have specific areas of feedback or recommendations for improvements then please speak to your Line Manager or Employee Forum rep, we want to ensure that we all have the ability to make a difference and can continually improve in all areas, therefore we are open to feedback. With continual growth and a challenging 18 months with Covid we appreciate there are always improvements that can be made, and we very much value your input, please speak to your Line Manager, Employee Forum reps or HR directly hr@bindingsite.com

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Lacks corporate structure maturity and organisation

26 Dec 2020 - Analyst in Birmingham, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good science minded people Seem technically capable in their chosen fields. Good relaxation/lunch area Perhaps a good environment for graduates and research minded senior management

Cons

Disorganised. Disjointed interactions between departments. Lack of planning in unison. Manufacturing seems to have a lot of problems in delivering products on time. Manufacturing process inefficiencies require multiple daily management meetings. Unclear timings. Too heavy an emphasis on research/science for a business to function well. Can be so much better with vision, coordination and justification for research as well as commercial activities/products. If people understand why they are doing a specific activity why can they not justify it? High complexity that does not seem to be managed well in a documented way. Strict mobile phone policy seems anachronistic while correct. More maturity should be expected by the company and employees in that matter. Salaries low and many individuals with limited experience as a result. Many lost opportunities to manage things better and improve.

Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post a review over the festive period of your time at The Binding Site. I am pleased to hear your positive comments regarding the environment & lunch time facilities. As a business we want to ensure our employees have facilities to enjoy their breaks and downtime, so we incorporated this into our renovations a couple of years back. Our employees really are our greatest asset and something that we pride ourselves on is having highly talented and ambitious individuals across all areas of our business who want to do the very best for the patients. I am sorry to hear how you felt regarding our organisation between departments and timings of products, as you can imagine last year has been a hugely challenging year with us have to react quickly to Covid and adapt our process and procedures accordingly. This has prompted many new ways of working to be adapted and trialled and has been challenging as a business and we appreciate from time to time we may have encountered challenges. However, we have been constantly addressing issues and reviewing ways to make improvements where necessary. We also encourage our teams to feedback any issues through their line manager or Employee Forum rep’s and listen with action where necessary. In terms of our mobile phone policy we do have a strict policy around this within our Laboratory areas of the business due to Health & Safety reasons around contamination which is paramount that we adhere to. Our salaries are reviewed regularly so we can ensure we are & remain competitive within the industry and we can attract and retain the best talent within our business. We use leading industry job boards to advertise all our opportunities together with our career-site to ensure we recruit candidates that have a wide range of skills that are required for each area of the business. This is something that we will continually review. I once again thank you for your feedback and if you have any further feedback please feel free to contact me directly recruitment@bindingsite.com

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

High expectations. Low salary

26 May 2021 - Scientist in Birmingham, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Keeps you in employment. Its a job I guess

Cons

High expectations in comparison with Salary. No room for progression

Business Manager, Vermont

Thank for for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry to hear your comments around salary & progression. Career progression is something we take very seriously, over the past 12 months 40% of all our roles have been filled through internal transfers which is a great testament to the skills and talent within our business, however we absolutely can do more to communicate this further and demonstrate what career paths are possible to individuals. All employees have the opportunity to discuss their career aspirations with their line managers, through their annual and midyear reviews alongside their regular 1-2-1s. If anyone has a clear interest in something, they should feel able and empowered to have these conversations to see what opportunities could be available. We also have a wide range of personal development courses available on the Learning Management System if individuals want to develop their skills and knowledge further. In terms of salaries & benefits they are reviewed and benchmarked regularly so that we can ensure we are and remain competitive within the industry, ensuring that we can attract and retain the best talent within our business. Our people are our priority and in December last year we recognised we wanted to reward our teams which resulted in a £1,300 bonus for all eligible employees, this was in addition to a further bonus that was paid earlier in the year for eligible employees up to £900. We wanted to ensure our employees have been rewarded during this difficult time and all authorised overtime has been paid, of which it has been plentiful. This reflected the amount of hard work and absolute dedication everyone had delivered in such unprecedented times and we are so proud of what our employees have achieved and continue to achieve during these times. Please if you have any further feedback feel free to contact your Line Manager or hr@bindingsite.com.

7. 2.0
      Former Employee

24 Jan 2021 - Technical Specialist in Birmingham, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The company culture is amazing and can't fault that at all. - Good atmosphere with friendly colleagues

Cons

How many people will it take to leave before management at Binding Site realize there’s an issue and that issue is SALARY. For the work they expect you to do they pay so little (£24,000 to be exact), I know apprentices on a higher salary than these guys offer. No matter who you speak to within the company, they are all planning their exit. Advice to management & HR, ask your staff what their salary expectations are and you will find you are miles away. You can’t keep quoting ‘we pay to industry average or whatever you reply with’ as roles such as Technical Specialist pay around £30-35,000 and it is because of these salaries on offer so many people go elsewhere. Just sort it, it’s not difficult.

1 person found this review helpful

Recruitment Manager UK

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is great to hear your positive comments around our culture and friendly atmosphere. We absolutely agree our people make our business a great place to work and this is something we are committed to continue for our future, investing in our people and culture remains our top priority along with improving patients’ lives. We appreciate your feedback with respect to salary this is reviewed annually through our benchmarking process and this was completed more recently in November and we will continue to conduct this regularly. You have stated that you are a former employee so it isn’t clear how long ago that you worked within our business, however the salary you have quoted is not accurate. We conduct exit interviews with our leavers and all of this information is reviewed to ensure that we can review the feedback provided and identify any areas for improvement, we also review top reasons our employees choose to leave which then highlight further areas of improvement. As a business we operate an open door environment and all managers and Directors are happy to discuss where we can improve further, I welcome your feedback and if you have anything please contact HR@bindingsite.com

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

An amazing place to work

15 Jan 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Knowing what you have accomplished in a days work is always appreciated. Great management from the board to section heads and managers. This is the place to work if you have a passion for making a difference to patient lives. Each and everyone at the Binding Site is contributing to make this possible and to get where we are today.

Cons

None at all, nothing to say

Recruitment Manager UK

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review on your 10 years with TBS. We are pleased to hear your positive comments regarding our commitments, teamwork & people. We absolutely agree our people make our business a great place to work and this is something we are committed to continue for our future, investing in our people and ensuring our culture remains all about our people to ensure we continue to deliver our ultimate purpose, improving patient lives. We promote feedback through all of the line managers and our Employee forum so please feel free to share your recommendations to the forum, your line manager or our HR Team. Once again thank you.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee

Very good place to work.

12 Jan 2021 - Process Engineer in Birmingham, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Professional Well mannered people Laid back but diligent staff HR function very clued-on The Board are in-tune with what matters to the staff while keeping a watchful eye on the micro-economics; they care and it shows.

Cons

More clarity on job progression required Need to reduce dependency on paperwork i.e. too many processes require cumbersome paperwork which are not value-adding.

3 people found this review helpful

Recruitment Manager UK

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is great to hear your positive comments and experiences to date around our employees, teams, HR & our Board Members. As a business we are committed to provide a people focused business with honesty and integrity been at the heart of what we do. Career progression is something we take very seriously, over the past 12 months 40% of all our roles have been filled through internal progression which is a great testament to the skills and talent within our business, however we absolutely can do more to communicate this further and demonstrate further what career paths could be open to individuals. All employees have the opportunity to discuss their career aspirations with their line managers, through their annual and midyear reviews alongside their regular 1-2-1s. If anyone has a clear interest in something, they should feel able and empowered to have these conversations to see what opportunities could be available. We also have a wide range of personal development courses available on the Learning Management System if individuals want to develop their skills and knowledge further. There is a high dependency on paper processes in some areas and this is being addressed in a number of different ways, this will ensure our processes are more streamlined and manageable and it will also assist with our sustainability agenda. We welcome all feedback and ideas, therefore if you have any further areas that we can improve or ideas on how to address things please speak to your Employee Forum rep, Line Managers or a member of HR.

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work for

1 Mar 2021 - Statistician in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Approachable and flexible management style. Great working environment

Cons

Can still do better with regards to remuneration

UK Recruitment Manager

Thank you taking the time to post a review. It is great to hear your positive comments around our working environment and management style. We are proud of the working environment and atmosphere that we have worked tirelessly to create and embed an approachable and friendly environment to enhance our fantastic culture further to make it a great place to work. We are committed to investing in our people and to ensure we continue to deliver our ultimate purpose of improving patients’ lives. We appreciate your feedback with respect to salary this is reviewed annually through our benchmarking process. We welcome your feedback and if you have anything further please contact recruitment@bindingsite.com

Viewing 1 - 10 of 85 Reviews