Blacks Outdoor Retail Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Blacks Outdoor Retail CEO Ken Reeve
Ken Reeve

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "sales assistant"

I have been working at Blacks Outdoor Retail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with different high-end camping products
    Management was fantastic

Cons

No cons or improvement

2. "Store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Canterbury, England
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Canterbury, England

I have been working at Blacks Outdoor Retail full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discount, conference, anonymous ratings

Cons

Changes all the time. Lack of clear communication. Often over promised and never achieved

Advice to Management

Keep hold of your long-standing management

3. "Management rude"

I worked at Blacks Outdoor Retail part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts
    Easy work load
    Holidays
    Most other staff

Cons

Management often bullying through rotas

4. "employee"

Current Employee - Temporary Employee in Sutton, London, England
    Current Employee - Temporary Employee in Sutton, London, England

I have been working at Blacks Outdoor Retail part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly staff, nice area with appreciative customers

Cons

can get boring and monotonous

5. "Do yourself a favour and get back on indeed. Steer clear. Or read for shock horror"

I worked at Blacks Outdoor Retail part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount on clothing if you can make it past the 3 month mark however you'd have better luck googling the item you want, which you'll probably find at a much cheaper rate usually and going in blacks and making use of their +10% extra off the marked price. Then again, Go outdoors amongst other outdoor retailers to this also.... Only pro I can think of really. The guys on my level was alright to be fair to them but they all was treated the same and had the same issues that you will find in the cons section below...

Cons

On my 1st shift, I was told I would hate the job very soon but remained optimistic. Refused a written contract consistently for months. Store manager couldn't tell me my rate of pay. Was told I'd be on full time hours but only ever received 20-25ish hours per week.. not full time! Was told I had pay slips sent to my e-mail but never found any there. Awful attitude from management to the rest of the staff, and everyone felt the same but remained silent because they wanted to keep their jobs. When speaking to the store manager regarding all my issues, I was given no apology, but simply told she was sorry I felt that way. When I was employed I was given 2nd hand dirty uniform and was told I would receive new uniform. When the delivery of uniform came, there was none for me (1st come first serve apparently). There is no care from management regarding the customers, on boxing day the prices of all items increased despite the SALES. I was regularly told to lie to customers if an item they needed but was in the back but was not of significant value as its not the best use of my time to go and fetch it! I don't even know what my actual job title was also. Quite normal in some work places I've heard but a 1st for me but I had to be searched every time I left the store, my bags, my trousers, my t shirt, my coat. I naturally prefer working in a more trusting environment. I was also told if somebody stole whilst I was 'watching the front', I'd be sacked (I must have forgot I was a security guard also)...The pay is really poor, I'm 23 and the assistant manager told me i was 6.28 an hour, the store manager told me I was on 6.90 an hour and was shot down when I told her this was illegal. They also let everyone know they didn't like each other, even customers. Really weird anyway, one google search shows that for Over 21's the minimum wage is £7.38. Maybe thats why I never received a contract or payslips? Very cynical of me perhaps. I sold tons but didn't receive commission on anything because the company doesn't do that. I could go on, but I feel I've said enough.

Advice to Management

@The brass of the company. I was very good at my job, if not the best at selling and making a positive difference to customers and staffs days and this wasn't just my opinion. I got on with everyone and could spark conversation and drive sales with anybody. However, one moody store manager with poor attitude brought down the whole store and everybody involved is very very well aware! There's more store politics going on than game of thrones! Take a long look at who you are employing as key figures. Failing that, carry on. Whats it matter to you anyway?

6. "My store was great, region seems okayish"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Reading, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Reading, England

I worked at Blacks Outdoor Retail part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people at my store, HR always good

Cons

No sense of community outside of my own store

7. "Poor at best"

Current Employee - Weekend Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Weekend Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Blacks Outdoor Retail part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

City Centre Location, customers are generally nice, really isn’t a very nice job and not much good to say to be honest

Cons

Low staff moral, over bearing manager, all earning differently, very tough job physically, it’s nothing more than a job, no benefits at all

Advice to Management

Be more mindful that staff are good at the job they do, and when advice is needed do NOT be condescending.

8. "Overtaken by the JD mindset"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Blacks Outdoor Retail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My manager and other colleagues were all really nice, the customers were usually a joy to help and I really love the outdoors and scouting so working in outdoor retail was refreshing.

Cons

The company doesn't care about its employees, are far as they are concerned everyone below an assistant manager is replaceable, despite this they would expect you to give them the world. Very inconsiderate toward reasonable holiday requests or shift changes.

Advice to Management

Lighten up! People aren't expendable and they really need to learn some consideration.

9. "Good Staff, Unfair Management"

Pros

-Weekly pay
    -Nice colleagues
    -Staff discount works across JD stores

Cons

-Pay is pretty standard for 21-25yrs but under 18's paid minimum wage and supervisors only paid 50p more than sales assistant or 20p more than sales assistants over 25
    -Subject to searches to be sure no staff are stealing is excessive
    -Charging your phone at work is not allowed because it's using company electricity... bit of a joke for a company so big
    -Seems that management outside the shop dumps all the workload onto the people below with no incentive for sales assistants to work harder

Advice to Management

Value your staff members in the shop

10. "Held back by head office"

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Blacks Outdoor Retail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow retail employees were very good
    Additional staff discount was good (offered after completing additional training)
    Day-to-day wasn't challenging

Cons

Management above store level was absolutely dreadful. Demanding and uncaring, got hung up on by my area manager after working a 50+ hour week
    Lots of restrictions placed on store from head office that clearly have no retail experience
    Head office definitely looks down on the retail staff, not replying to emails
    Under paid management
    Area and regional managers just seem incompetent as a whole
    Terrible standard discount
    Training is unpaid and not encouraged
    Lots of last minute POS changes that are expected to be implemented immediately, these often arrive late and so involve overtime at no notice

Advice to Management

Treat your store managers with respect. Pay your employees what they're worth. Stop putting people in charge who have no retail experience as they do not know the challenges that are faced everyday